MWB Windows

mcguyver

Anyone know of Sliding windows to replace the fixed rear windows on mwb lowroof?
Have made a couple of local enquirys here in Brisbane and they are saying not available and that only available for the front. ie sliding door and the opposite one.

Any info appreciated

Skippy and Emu

My T1n came with a Kingsley sliding window in the sliding door. I had to make my own flyscreen. ( very easy )
I believe these windows are available as a DIY kit from:

http://bu4shranger.com.au/product-listing/windows/

I do realise you want them for the rear, not the sliding doors, however, they seem to have a good range. So may have something which will work. I have no idea of prices.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
One option is to replace the window with a sheet of aluminum . That would allow you to fit any of a large number of RV windows, in both sliding and awning versions.

kayakkingoz

I have also considered using fibreglass & using one of the existing windows as a mould make up a glass sheet to the exact size & thickness then cutting out a hole to suit an rv style window as mentioned above

Eric Experience

I also would like some opening rear windows. I spoke to a very large company that make this style of product, they say they are not allowed to sell an opening window that is covered by a sliding door for safety reasons. None of the windows shown on the link above are for Aussy sprinters. Eric.

Skippy and Emu

I understand that there is a ruling which states that you cannot have opening windows aft of the exhaust pipe.
In my case the original factory exhaust pipe terminates under the floor, just aft of the Driver's side, sliding door.
( I have sliding doors on both sides ) Therefore, I cannot have any openable windows rearward of the Driver's side sliding door. I assume that if the exhaust continued to the rear of the bumper, then an openable window may be legal...... if one was available ! I have 3 Caframo fans and a marine bilge blower to maximise the airflow from the existing openable windows.

mcguyver

Thanks all

Ended up just replacing the middle windows with sliders and replacing the hole in the roof left by the air con with a pop up sunroof. Expensive but should work well.

Have also fitted the swivel bases for the double passenger and single drivers front seats.

Works great when swiveled we effectively have a full width seat facing rearwards. Opens up the van brilliantly.

( pic stolen from google but exactly the same )

Last edited:

Banjo48

Mcguyver,

What is the roof lining material ? looks great and nice and light. Can't stand the conversions that look like a pallets been thrown inside.

Sunroof is identical to a Britax one I fitted in my mini Cooper S many years ago in the uk.

mcguyver

Banjo it is lightweight powder coated aluminium sheeting. I am acutely conscious of added too much weight as I also need to carry a motorcycle on the rear. I can’t understand how this fitouts with pallets and redwoods etc get under GVM.

The sunroof cost a fortune by the time I got it from the states, but I couldn’t find one anywhere here, and the this one was the only one I could find that would fit the hole left by the rear air con after it was removed. We did need to do a little fabrication to get it in though.

Last edited:

Sockeye770

A few years ago Vicroads did a crackdown on aftermarket sunroofs, and started requiring an engineers certificate.
On many cars in the 70's & 80's that had the aftermarket sunroof fitted, the fitter cut the roof hole through a structural roof support, resulting in the roll over integrity being compromised.
This also included the aftermarket fibreglass roofs on camper vans.
This is probably why no one in Aus supplies the old aftermarket sunroofs.

Wyuna

as far as i know, its not required to get a blue mod plate in QLD for a sunroof.

although it is for swivel seats, i had the engineer sign off on mine.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
FYI, the MB upfitters guide states that every part of the roof above the main horizontal beam it not required for safety. It can all be removed if desired, included the cross parts. This won't affect safety, though it may cause the roof to do have issues.

mcguyver

as far as i know, its not required to get a blue mod plate in QLD for a sunroof.

although it is for swivel seats, i had the engineer sign off on mine.

Correct mate. I have the had the blue mod plate done for the seats and lodged with QLD transport.

Top Bottom