Does shore power charge Sprinter battery?

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
As long as you don't mind constantly stepping over/under the cord and charger whenever you're moving about inside the rig. I've done it. No contest between that way and Trik-L-Start, which once properly installed requires ZERO attention.

There's another option to the Trikl thing. Just plug your new rig into shore power and use a smart charger to run power from a live 120VAC outlet inside the rig, to the 12VDC (always live) outlet below the ash tray/cup holder up front, using the 12VDC cigar lighter plug that usually comes with portable battery chargers/maintainers.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
As long as you don't mind constantly stepping over/under the cord and charger whenever you're moving about inside the rig. I've done it. No contest between that way and Trik-L-Start, which once properly installed requires ZERO attention.
I believe I suggested that, if you read my post. When I use the portable charger, I'm usually not in the rig often enough for the cord to bother me. However, on the few times I do have to visit the inside of it while stored, I admit is is quite a chore/challenge to step over a cord.

larrygee

Oh. I have a Trikle Start and solar. I turn off the 12v DC in the stair well and pull the disconnect by the footwell. I thought all was fine until I read this thread. Now I have a headache and am unsure of my battery management technique. ��

mlmurrah

I previously use a Trik-L-Start on an 2005 Itasca, but the house and chassis batteries were both under the entry step. So setup was easy. We just bought a 2018 View 24D. The house batteries are under the step, and I think the chassis battery is in the from engine compartment (rig not delivered yet). Has anyone installed a Trik-L-Start with separated batteries?
The Trip-L-Start bridges the isolator, which is located under the passenger seat. You need to turn the seat a bit to get to the bolts. As per instructions found in a You Tube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gukUIZ58oKw), I installed mine on the outside wall of the passenger seat base adjacent the walkway between the seats. THe wires go through a hole in the wall and and are connected across the isolator. Trik-L-Start also has an instruction sheet.

I own a 2014 Navion. The house batteries are obviously being charged when plugged into shore power but I don't know if my Sprinter battery is being charged as well. Can anyone answer that question?
I use a Trickle Charger, plug it into my dash full time 12 volt socket and into the House 120 volt plug. It charges my battery when on shore or generator power. This work for me.:cheers:

Mikey D

If there is a charge on the starter battery, won't that trigger the DC/DC charger to start charging the house battery and cause a loop?

hippy

Hardware Modifier
DC to dc chargers are triggered by d+ when the van is running, I get a 5 Amp trickle that charges the start battery from the sun or via shore power with a voltronic 3way system

Also a 3 year old thread ?

cacaw

We hade a 2007 and now have a 2021. The chassis to coach battery configuration almost made sense in the 2007, but it's a ridiculous design for the 2021, with several vestigial components left in from the older models.

Mikey D

DC to dc chargers are triggered by d+ when the van is running, I get a 5 Amp trickle that charges the start battery from the sun or via shore power with a voltronic 3way system

Also a 3 year old thread ?
The DC/DC charger I'm using turns on based on voltage increase (charge detection). I don't have a d+ wire ran. I don't want to go that route because the DC/DC charger is actually DC/DC/PV so I still want the charger on when the engine isn't running to allow for the solar to charge.
In this situation, would the trickle charger's raised voltage trigger the DC/DC to start charging the house battery from the starter battery? This is what I'm trying to avoid.
Otherwise, I'd have to run a switch to the manual jumper to turn it on or off when I'm connected to shore power.

hippy

Hardware Modifier
The DC/DC charger I'm using turns on based on voltage increase (charge detection). I don't have a d+ wire ran. I don't want to go that route because the DC/DC charger is actually DC/DC/PV so I still want the charger on when the engine isn't running to allow for the solar to charge.
In this situation, would the trickle charger's raised voltage trigger the DC/DC to start charging the house battery from the starter battery? This is what I'm trying to avoid.
Otherwise, I'd have to run a switch to the manual jumper to turn it on or off when I'm connected to shore power.
Then yes it will, as soon as the starter battery reached your voltage set in the split charge relay it will then start its charge of the house battery I imagine.

Top Bottom