2015 Sprinter and B20 Fuel. DEF Delete? Other Suggestions?

Benagami

Could you please contact your legislators and ask them to rescind the requirement that there be 20% biodiesel in their diesel? I go to MN every summer and it's a pain in the butt to try to avoid buying fuel.

D

Deleted member 50714

Could you please contact your legislators and ask them to rescind the requirement that there be 20% biodiesel in their diesel? I go to MN every summer and it's a pain in the butt to try to avoid buying fuel.
I've visited Minnesota once and astonished I couldn't buy beer on Sundays. :cry:

klipsch21

I've visited Minnesota once and astonished I couldn't buy beer on Sundays. :cry:
Actually that was changed last July. You can now buy beer on Sunday!:rad: As far as Diesel is concerned, B20 is still the only thing you can get. Still looking for suggestions on what I can do since I have to use B20.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
The problems that MB has associated with biodiesel usage is oil contamination and fuel system deposits after long periods of storage. Disabling regeneration would only affect the oil contamination issue and if you have increased your oil change frequency then you have already addressed that concern. As long you use the vehicle regularly and don't store it for long periods with biodiesel in the system then that's about all you can, or need to do.

Last edited:

klipsch21

I do store the RV for about 6 months of the year. Is there any additive I can use before storage to help with this?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
There probably is some kind of additive available (there always is ;) although who knows how effective it would be. While an occasional tank of B20 on the road isn't going to hurt anything, continuous use of B20 (especially in a stored RV) is an unknown and MB wants to have their cake and eat it too since they both sell vehicles in states where only B20 is available while at the same time warning against it, including claiming it could be a warranty violation in one sentence and then saying 'If customers cannot avoid the use of biodiesel fuel between B6 and B20, it’s critical for them to monitor their engine oil level and engine running performance' in the next, implying that with appropriate caution it may be OK. So far no regulators have called them on this wishy-washy policy and I'm sure MB wants to keep it that way so it seems unlikely you would really have a warranty claim denied, but it's all pretty ambiguous.

This has been beaten around countless times and there's no real answer, about all you can do is exercise whatever caution you can and hope for the best. On the plus side I don't think that there has been a high number of actual, real-world cases of problems with B5-B20 use so it may not be something worth staying up nights over. There are endless theoretical concerns in this world, probably best to focus in the proven ones.

Ldfeat

From a MB website:

With these risks in mind, here are some things
you can do to help mitigate the effects of B20 fuel:

Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever possible,
from a name brand fuel station.
Regularly monitor your engine oil level if you
use B20 fuel on a regular basis.
Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument
cluster and within your maintenance booklet, and use ONLY engine
oils and filters approved by Mercedes-Benz for use in your vehicle.
If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks,
fill your vehicle’s fuel tank in advance with ULSD fuel.

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/a...ze-biodiesel-in-my-mercedes-benz-in-illinois? Larry, 2014 Reyo P

D

Deleted member 50714

I have noticed gas stations place a large rubber door mat over the filling recepticles for the underground fuel tanks. Has anyone noticed the same? Seems odd the caps wouldn't be sufficiently watertight.

D

Deleted member 50714

From a MB website:

With these risks in mind, here are some things
you can do to help mitigate the effects of B20 fuel:

Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever possible,
from a name brand fuel station.
Regularly monitor your engine oil level if you
use B20 fuel on a regular basis.
Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument
cluster and within your maintenance booklet, and use ONLY engine
oils and filters approved by Mercedes-Benz for use in your vehicle.
If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks,
fill your vehicle’s fuel tank in advance with ULSD fuel.

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/a...ze-biodiesel-in-my-mercedes-benz-in-illinois? Larry, 2014 Reyo P
Thanks for sharing! Kinda blows the hell out of the one size fits all 20,000 mile oil change interval hooey.

Davydd

It says B5 up to B20 on the pumps in Minnesota but to my knowledge there has never been B20 sold in Minnesota. The highest you would have gotten is B10 because no one was refining B20. They may not like it, but Minnesota MB dealers will still honor the warranty which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles on emission systems. If states legislate B21 or higher then you will have a worry.

klipsch21

It says B5 up to B20 on the pumps in Minnesota but to my knowledge there has never been B20 sold in Minnesota. The highest you would have gotten is B10 because no one was refining B20. They may not like it, but Minnesota MB dealers will still honor the warranty which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles on emission systems. If states legislate B21 or higher then you will have a worry.
The mandate for b20 went into effect May 1st 2018 but they could not produce enough bio-diesel so it has been suspended until June 30th 2018 but it is coming soon. :-/

https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/fuel/biodiesel/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

TPSauto

Mine is fully deleted so no worry but I still try to avoid bio. Got a tank in MN last week and mileage dropped a noticable amount. Worst tank in our 3500 mile week. Fully deleted 2013 24v averaging 15.5 overall from Niagara falls to Washington with cruise set at it slightly above the speed limit.

lrcasella

As others said, follow the guidance and keep those cards and letters coming to the legislature. (Like that will do any good - they've been bought by the Soy Bean lobby - Specifically the two large corporations that run the two largest bio blending stations - just look up how much they've spent on lobbying). The mandate runs from April through September. So ensure you run your tank as near empty as possible before filling for winter in October or later. Bio gels at much higher temperatures than dino diesel and, unlike dino, may not totally revert to liquid as temperature warms. Winter additives do help with the gelling situation. So definitely add winter additive before freezing temps to a full tank of fuel (which is approved in your Mercedes Sprinter manual). Of course, you should store the RV with a full tank to prevent any moisture formation (which is even worse with bio blends for growing algae) Change oil every year, no matter what the mileage - and change the fuel filter. Only in America would we use food for fuel,

Top Bottom