Best Scan tool for 2004

Comin_in_hot

I have a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500. My check engine light was illuminated on my last trip home. I am wanting to purchase a scan tool for my Sprinter. I am curious what is the best scan tool for my specific vehicle. The common scan tool I see that you guys are using is Scangauge 2. I also read that it might not give me all the info I need. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The ScanGauge II is a fairly light-weight scanner, (i have one, and it did properly report my first Check Engine Light (CEL)) ... it's good for monitoring what's going on when you're driving, and it can report those problems that the ECU (engine control unit) is able to forward.

But it's not (anywhere near) a "real" diagnostic Sprinter scanner, which requires talking to the other wires in the connector to delve deeply into the other computer modules in the Sprinter.
Devices that meet that bar include the Autel 802 (certain sub-models), the iCarSoft system, the laptop-and-multiplexor-based Xentry, the (very limited availability) DAD and the $3000 DRB-III (what Dodge dealers used to use).

I love :hugs: my ScanGauge, but it won't tell you what (for example) the transmission's wheel-speed sensors are (mis-)reporting.

If you visit almost any Auto Parts store, they're usually (more than) willing to plug in one of the OBD scanners they sell as a "free scan" to see what it says about your CEL. No purchase necessary.

You can find lists of the Sprinter-specific P-codes (what the scanner will report) here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference
(along with a full 2006 service manual set)

--dick

Last edited:

SprinterKing

Dick,

After my battery meltdown, I want more real time system monitoring for my van.

Would you recommend the scangauge or something else?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ohhh... long answer....

Last i looked, there were 4 choices for as-you-drive monitoring:
ScanGauge (about $150) ((do NOT get the "ScanGauge D", despite it being pitched "for diesels" ... the regular ScanGauge is much better))
UltraGauge (about $70 to $100)
DashDAQ (i forget... higher)

and a $35 bluetooth lump plugged into the OBD socket, relaying the info to your SmartPhone running the "Torque" app.

I happen to prefer the ScanGauge, but that's me (and for one primary reason: its buttons are on the front)
The UltraGauge and DashDAQ can show more readouts at once (6 or 8 vs 4), and can do them as "dials" instead of only numbers.
The Torque app allows you to screen-grab and can record data as you're driving for long-term comparisons and trend-spotting.

Read some of the threads (search for UltraGauge, for example) and see what other folks think.
If you've already got a smartphone hanging on your dash for other reasons, that's a vote for Torque.

--dick (different strokes for different folks...)
p.s. i don't know if any of them would've caught your melt-down ... the only display that would've helped at all would've been system voltage... and without knowing WHY you melted, that may not have told you anything useful

mike_mcginn

Every serious owner should have a ScanGauge. I usually display LOD Voltage MPH Temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wattsupp

I have a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500. My check engine light was illuminated on my last trip home. I am wanting to purchase a scan tool for my Sprinter. I am curious what is the best scan tool for my specific vehicle. The common scan tool I see that you guys are using is Scangauge 2. I also read that it might not give me all the info I need. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!
Hi, my iCarSoft MBII:980 has been working VERY well and provides a wealth of info on the OBC codes as well as on the Sprinter MB DTC codes. It also has several real time and continuous monitoring functions to look at underway. Only issue I have is that I have not yet figured a way to save all this data although it has a USB port and may output to a laptop. For $150 it more than meets my needs for my 2004 Dodge 2500. For specific information on purchase from Matt on eBay -- search my scanner posts.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As i wrote in your other thread on that posting:
----
You mean the iCarsoft tool?

You'll find it mentioned (favorably) in the Scanner threads here on the forum...

There may well be specific vendors who are cheats, but the basic tool is real.
---------------
Heck, there's even a "sticky" thread on it: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44009&highlight=icarsoft

Why do you think that ebay listing is a scam? (please educate me, really...)

(perhaps your link is to a specific listing?
When i click on it, i get shown many many iCarsoft offerings, not just one)
Perhaps the one you were citing has been pulled?

--dick

Last edited:

(perhaps your link is to a specific listing?
--dick
It was.

Apparently eBay removed the specific ad so clicking the link took us to a list. In the future posting a screen shot of the ad might save some confusion. A bit more work, but less confusing.

vic

robzr

I got a ScanGauge II bundled with my NC3V we bought from another forum member a few months ago, I've been digging it. Not for diagnostics (it's not the right tool for that at all), but for realtime display of some stats.

Personally I've been monitoring boost (PSI), fuel consumption (GPH), voltage (V) and trans temp (TFT). The trans temp requires a few codes being put into the "X-Gauge" config section and is available for NC3Vs: https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/sprinter-2007/

Also worth noting, you can program the backlight of the ScanGauge II to roughly match the amber backlighting of the instrument panel. Not perfect but not bad, requires monkeying with the RGB settings a bit.

For diagnostics, I'm ordering an Autel MD808PRO.

Rob

jazzbeast

(icarsoft mbII) I've had seven sprinters over the years (four now) and have only really needed a high end scanner once or twice as most problems have been fairly easy to self diagnose. Recently on my 08 I had transmission issues that would put in "severe" 2nd gear only limp mode. I fixed it, but only after buying a conductor plate that didn't need replacement. If I had a good scanner it would have narrowed it down for me better and saved me the conductor plate. Then after the work I needed a scanner to get me out of "severe" limp mode, as only certain scanners can do. I went ahead and bought an Autel MS906 slightly used for a great price ($500), but for anyone with a limited budget that needs a great scanner that reset the transmission after work, the icarsoft MB II is your best bet. It does an amazing amount of diagnosis and gives a great deal of real time information on benz vehicles, all for only $150.

mcj7247

I got a ScanGauge II bundled with my NC3V we bought from another forum member a few months ago, I've been digging it. Not for diagnostics (it's not the right tool for that at all), but for realtime display of some stats.

Personally I've been monitoring boost (PSI), fuel consumption (GPH), voltage (V) and trans temp (TFT). The trans temp requires a few codes being put into the "X-Gauge" config section and is available for NC3Vs: https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/sprinter-2007/
Do you know if the ScanGauge II/ X-Gauge can measure trans temp for a 2006 T1N ?

parallevar

2004 2500 118” High Roof
(icarsoft mbII) I've had seven sprinters over the years (four now) and have only really needed a high end scanner once or twice as most problems have been fairly easy to self diagnose. Recently on my 08 I had transmission issues that would put in "severe" 2nd gear only limp mode. I fixed it, but only after buying a conductor plate that didn't need replacement. If I had a good scanner it would have narrowed it down for me better and saved me the conductor plate. Then after the work I needed a scanner to get me out of "severe" limp mode, as only certain scanners can do. I went ahead and bought an Autel MS906 slightly used for a great price ($500), but for anyone with a limited budget that needs a great scanner that reset the transmission after work, the icarsoft MB II is your best bet. It does an amazing amount of diagnosis and gives a great deal of real time information on benz vehicles, all for only $150.
I went for the iCarsoft MBII on your recommendation, I may send you a PM if I cant figure out how to reset the transmission! Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom