Traded in the Interstate for a Itasca Reyo

pennstate95

We traded our '13 Interstate for an Itasca Reyo this past weekend. Thanks to everyone on this board for sharing their immense knowledge during my year of ownership. I'll miss the Interstate as it was our first RV. We racked up over 21K miles in less than 1 year and probably spent over a month of that time in it. It served us well but with 4 kids, we need something bigger.

We didn't waste any time, and spent a night in the Reyo the day we picked it up. BTW, we bought it at Colonial in NJ (The buying experience was great. We have not used their service dept. and hope we won't need to. Their prices are also the best around.) The bump-out makes a HUGE difference. With 2 sleeping areas, I won't have to sleep on the floor anymore!

The downside is that I haven't found any forums like this to learn from.

Timberdog

Still a MB engine so this forum is still a good option. See if the moderators can open a new thread for Reo's and the Winnebago model who's name eludes me.

pennstate95

The Reyo is basically the same as the Via. The coach is a about 1 1/2 ft wider than the Interstate. (So you can still fit it width wise in a parking space.) I just about peed in my pants everytime we had to drive through a toll booth. It felt like we barely hit through. We were on the PA & NJ Turnpikes, so it was a good test of nerves. It would have sucked to scrape the fairings on our brand spanking new RV on the drive home. It didn't take long to get use to keeping the wider rig in the center of the road though. The large windshield gives you a great view of your surroundings. The handling is good and turning radius is great considering the size. I had to make a U-turn and didn't have any issues. It's only about a foot longer than our Extended Interstate but looks alot bigger. When the slideout is extended, it's actually livable with the 4 kids. There's TONS of storage compartments inside and out. The cab for the driver and passenger is cavernous. Our model has the dinette which only has 2 seat belts factory installed on one bench. The other bench is not installed, but the seat cushions already have the seat belt hold cut out. We are going to get 2 belts installed for the other bench so it will have seating capacity for 6. We drove about 300 miles and averaged about 16 mpg. It was mostly highway, but it was on the highways with stoplights. (We were driving down the Ocean City, NJ and OC, MD area.) I was driving about 60 mph. I think at 68-70, it will be down in the low 15's. Hopefully, it was be more as we break in the engine. On the positive petroleum side, the sales guy informed me that with the new Sprinters, the oil change interval is now 15K miles! One option that the unit we bought that I really like is that the Onan generator is DIESEL!!!! We hated refilling the propane as it always took forever waiting for the guy to come out to refill it. It seemed like we had to fill it every other trip, but we didn't run the generator much...just the water heater. Speaking of water heaters, the one Winnebago used in this model is electric...NO MORE TANK! I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but the gray and black water in the Reyo is the gravity system. No more macerator pump...one less mechanical thing to break. In the year we owned the Interstate, we never had to dump uphill, so I'm thinking it's a good thing. I don't particularly like the Rand McNally GPS system they used. The directions were not as direct as what our phone GPS was giving us. The glare from the shiny screen wakes it bordering on unusable. Another feature that sounds better on paper than when executed are the sideview mirror cameras. They have video cameras built into the side mirrors. When you change lanes, the GPS screen flips to the camera view. This sucks when you're changing lanes when you're getting near and exit and not sure if you should take exit A or B. I hope I can turn this "feature" off in the menus. <---Probably more info than you guys wanted.

We love it so far. This is a very manageable tiny class A that fits our needs at the moment. No buyers remorse so far. Hopefully, we got a good build with no major problems.

Marks71

Penn

can you give me your thoughts about towing and parking? I love the mobility / parkability of our Interstate.

Also, what about solar and dry camping?

I realize this is pretty new for you and you don't have a ton of experience with it. I appreciate any insights as you develop them.

Mark

Top Bottom