Rear Step Delete & Parking Sensor Relocation ?

Eric B

Hi all

My 2019 van came with the parking package and the factory rear step

I want to delete the step, buy the correct plastic bumper blade located below the doors with parking sensor holes and just move sensors and wiring in to it.

Hope-ing it’s that easy?
Can someone confirm / deny ?

Or will the parking sensors need to somehow be reprogrammed for this to work?
I doubt it but with these brand new vehicles you never know ...

Thx

-e

cacaw

Isn't the rear step separate from the bumper? I need to buy a rear step for my 2019 (no parking package) and it looks like it will simply bolt on to the brackets below the chassis.

Or are you saying that the parking sensors are built into the step instead of into the bumper? I couldn't find anything in the equipment book about that.

Attachments

Eric B

If you get the factory step AND the parking package, they put the parking sensors in the edge of the step, not in the rear bumper

I want to ditch the factory step, get a tow hitch instead, and retain my parking feature, just move it into rear bumper
I’ll post up a pic later if you want visuals of what my setup looks like

Eric B

Actually the pic you posted from the order guide shows the parking sensors in the factory step

You can see the 4 little circular sensors even though it’s a little pixelated

GLJones

If you get the factory step AND the parking package, they put the parking sensors in the edge of the step, not in the rear bumper

I want to ditch the factory step, get a tow hitch instead, and retain my parking feature, just move it into rear bumper
I’ll post up a pic later if you want visuals of what my setup looks like
My dealer found a hitch designed for mounting under the factory step and it works great.

Attachments

Eric B

Totally GLJones - the Curt & DrawTite tow hitches fit great under the factory step but that also puts them lower down to the ground. I’ve got a 170 4x4 and am trying to limit impact on departure angle - stock tow hitch w/o step is positioned a little higher up, and aftermarket steps like VanCompass rear Tug Step sit on top of factory hitch

don_fran

Hi Egb
Do you still have the factory step? Looks like we have the same factory bumper and I'm looking for this step part
I'm in San Juan Capistrano

Thanks
Don Francisco

Bordi45

I don’t have the parking package, but I used Hein’s hitch arms and am very pleased with how the hitch is positioned up high under the step. I was also concerned about the hitches that worked with the factory step setup, I was reading reviews that indicated they were arriving with bent arms.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Someone asked and I don't see it answered; is the setup with the rear step a separate piece for the step and bumper, or are they molded as one? Can the rear step be replaced without replacing the rear bumper?

I'd like to fabricate my own step and put the parking sensors in it, just wondering if I will have to buy the blank bumper cover as well.

Eric B

When I looked at it last it seemed like the bumper center section and factory step plastic parts were all molded as one

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
My van is being shipped so I can't see for sure how it is set up. Whoever initially spec'd this van did so with painted front and rear bumpers. I'm not sure which part of the rear bumper is going to be painted.

Unfortunately I'm paying for painted bumpers that I will probably sand and shoot with a textured black coating. I will also try and cut the rear step off from the bumper if necessary and fab a new bumper with parking sensors in it.

I also ordered the version of the Curt hitch that is meant to go under the factory step. We'll see how it all goes......

Top Bottom