Aftermarket Suspension Options - whats your experience?

Outlookela

Weight imbalance: too much stuff built in on drivers side resulting in a noticeable but not always obvious lean to driver side. When water tank and fuel full but no passenger or gear stowed on passenger side I do notice it. Am looking to getting the van compass upgrade and wondering if this will help. Believe working on suspension is easier than moving batteries and water tank.

Even without the imbalance I would likely do the van compass upgrade as my suspension is too stiff until the van is loaded to GVW. Given that a suspension upgrade is in the works I am researching the weight imbalance at same time.

Sunny&75

Weight imbalance: too much stuff built in on drivers side resulting in a noticeable but not always obvious lean to driver side. When water tank and fuel full but no passenger or gear stowed on passenger side I do notice it. Am looking to getting the van compass upgrade and wondering if this will help. Believe working on suspension is easier than moving batteries and water tank.

Even without the imbalance I would likely do the van compass upgrade as my suspension is too stiff until the van is loaded to GVW. Given that a suspension upgrade is in the works I am researching the weight imbalance at same time.
I've got the same issues. Very interested in what you find out, but we're not quite ready to do the upgrade. Maybe a cal to VC might answer some questions?

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Even without the imbalance I would likely do the van compass upgrade as my suspension is too stiff until the van is loaded to GVW. Given that a suspension upgrade is in the works I am researching the weight imbalance at same time.[/QUOTE]

Have you experimented with your tire pressures to help with the ride ?? unless you are loaded there's no need to run max/high air pressures...
I have the aux spring from VC, Fox reservoir shocks in the back, Konis set to max in front w/Sumo Springs..
My build is VERY light but my 4x4 Sprinter drives and rides every bit as comfortably as my 4x4 GMC Sierra Truck does....

VanGoSki

I have the aux spring from VC, Fox reservoir shocks in the back, Konis set to max in front w/Sumo Springs..
My build is VERY light but my 4x4 Sprinter drives and rides every bit as comfortably as my 4x4 GMC Sierra Truck does....
Just curious as to your rationale for getting the aux-leaf spring packs with a very light build? I would think the extra leafs would make the ride more harsh. No?

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Not in the least.. it actually feels smoother now than before, more of a dampening type seat of the pants feel with the extra leaves vs the 2 factory ones..
It has lifted the rear by around 3/4s of an inch, tows a 4 place snowmobile trailer like it's not there..

Outlookela

I've got the same issues. Very interested in what you find out, but we're not quite ready to do the upgrade. Maybe a cal to VC might answer some questions?
In an email they indicate it will help - but not with any detail - which is why I have posted to this thread. VC does not take calls only emails - which is not a criticism - have found them helpful.

Outlookela

Have you experimented with your tire pressures to help with the ride ?? unless you are loaded there's no need to run max/high air pressures...
I will be experimenting with tire pressure soon. I have resisted doing this as been under impression mileage and tire wear would be negatively affected by lowering pressure. Not necessarily so?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Weigh your van front/rear. Take a look at the tire inflation tables, and inflate to that pressure for each axle.

For those with a significant weight imbalance, there is not a whole lot you can do. Changing springs or adding a spacer to the heavy side can remove the lean. Otherwise there will always be a tendency for greater suspension osculation and travel on the heavy side. You could in theory have the shocks on each side tuned for the corner weights, but that's unusual outside of racing applications.

Attachments

OffroadHamster

I would sooner move batteries and tanks to balance a vehicle than try to build L/R spring packs, individual damping etc. Too much risk of not getting it right and having an evasive maneuver go sideways on you down the road.

Its much easier to relocate and remodel and interior for better weight distribution than to become an expert at mechanical vibrations and ground vehicle dynamics.

I understand some of these things, and wouldn't attempt a L/R suspension design to accommodate list. Most I would do would be airbags.

Outlookela

Luckily my weight imbalance is not really that significant. It would be a major major pain to move plumbing and power especially as I really like my layout. My batteries are in a tray underneath the van. AGM's. At some point when the cold temperature charge issues of lithium batteries have long been dealt with and my AGM's are pooched I can lighten up my battery load.

hein

Van Guru
We have the GlideRite system on our 2010 3500. The ride is outstanding but their under-mount air system eventually failed from moisture. I replaced it with a new air system with compressor mounted in the engine bay. I have a moisture separator under the passenger seat and I drain it about every month. The tank is under the van and has stayed dry. Here is a link in our thread that covers the installation: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27822&page=94. -And a later post when I moved the compressor: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=734737&postcount=947

We have Airlift helper airbag springs on our Nissan pickup and used their 2nd gen WirelessOne system. It has a easy to operate remote control and bluetooth Ap. I did mount the compressor inside the cab to protect it from environmental effects.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 509

err

Looking to install Stage 4 myself. Are a couple of jack stands and the factory jack all that is needed to lift the vehicle? Or would you advise something more elaborate? 2016 144 4x4. 7500 lbs. Thanks.
I've had my 4x4 on jack stands many times for tire rotations, and general maintenance with no issues. I had Agile install my system but have installed many suspension systems on other vehicles using jack stands with no issues. It's not as nice as using a lift, but it works. Just be careful that everything is stable.

CactusJackSlade

Looking to install Stage 4 myself. Are a couple of jack stands and the factory jack all that is needed to lift the vehicle? Or would you advise something more elaborate? 2016 144 4x4. 7500 lbs. Thanks.
Pretty much, I used jack stands and TWO floor jacks. Sometimes the second floor jack cam in handy for lifting/aligning things.

I was solo and it was about 7 hour job for me... but I went very slow :)

sprinterPaul

Pretty much, I used jack stands and TWO floor jacks. Sometimes the second floor jack cam in handy for lifting/aligning things.

I was solo and it was about 7 hour job for me... but I went very slow :)

Yes the second jack is great to lift and align. I had to get a new floor jack that would lift 24” off the ground. Sometimes blocks of wood help.

Put wheel under the van in case something happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffroadHamster

First thing my Dad taught me! :)
Same here...although the van is so big, theres still a good chance of getting hurt if "something happens"

My MO is double redundancy: Jack Stand, Jack engaged with a small amount of pressure, and tire under the frame rail.

The hope is that if there is an Earthquake and it falls off the Jack and the Stand, the tire will keep it from killing you, if not hurting you.

OffroadHamster

Ignore the jack handle trip hazard in the above photo!

Never leave your jack handle down like that. Multiple reasons, but mostly so your dont trip and smash your face on the ground.

Top Bottom