• droning

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • none

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • all 3

Votes: 44 25.1%

• Total voters

Moto Vita

OK here's one for you guys, today I started hearing a chirp similar to a dry wiper blade coming through the floor of the van. It doesn't seem to be tied to bumps. engine rpm, vehicle speed or anything else I can ascertain. It is erratic but frequent and got worse over a 50 mile drive. I can't hear it at highway speeds but I think it's just being drowned out by road noise. Then as I got close to home I started hearing a thunk noise that is definitely tied to bumps in the road. I was close to home and it was raining so I didn't stop. Now it's sitting in the driveway in the dark and rain and I'm not going to look at it until tomorrow. It's a 2016 3500 4X4 170 wb with 25,000 miles, any suggestions on where to look first?

Moto Vita

Follow up.
I think the "thunk" was a can I was carrying in the passenger footwell so it wouldn't fall over, but the other dull squeal noise I can fnd no explanation for. Oddly it was prevalent when I was driving on wet roads but goes away when the roads dry out, weird.

Great post Beartravels! As usual, I put off attending to my drone which has gotten worse with miles (85% highway). I'm now roughly 900 miles short of warranty expiration and decision to get the extended one (AFTER this is covered in the original one).

What's your thoughts on the drone nowadays? Did the fix under warranty work?
Is the carrier bearing + driveshaft replacement still keeping your rig "drone-free"?

:thumbup:

FW1987
Sorry Fourwheeler 1987 for not replying sooner didn't see your question.
We just put on approximately 4800 road trip this fall to Montana, ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Peninsula Michigan and back to Colorado with mix of interstate, two lane and back roads. The noise has disappeared, we are back in love with our van. We can actually have a conversation and I don't get a headache from the noise.The only sound we have is the transfer case chain noise at at speeds under 30mph, which the MB Littleton stated that it will always be there. Again can't say enough about Linden Engineering on their Sprinter knowledge and MB Littleton on the fix. Any more questions send a PM. Hopes this helps.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
In regards to the shim kit are you referring to the rear spring shackle shims? I see Oberaninger has these on their website for fine tuning the rear axle angle.

I have a new 4x4 and it lets out a loud "PING" when I put it in gear or go into reverse. I looked at all of the u-joint flanges and all is tight. Did not do it when I picked it up, I drove it 2600 miles to Moab and back and now its doing it.

Scheduled to take to the dealer but they have not even seen a 4x4 yet!
That ping noise you hear is ringing from your hollow tube drive shaft that acts like a tuning fork when a shock pulse which comes from play in the driveline gets transferred to the hollow tube drive shaft.

Pan

I'm in Australia with a right hand drive same model...... Same problem and Mercedes Benz here don' t seem to know or care.
Heath I am in Australia as well and have all three noises as well as a bad vibration in my steering wheel. Did you have any luck?

DanAzon

2015. Not to worry. I had the clunk when new, stationary shifting and slow speed downshifting. It’s either fixed itself or I don’t notice it anymore. There’s also a bit of gear whine from the front diff, all part of the experience. No difference in noise after changing the fluid in the transfer case, differentials, and transmission. Enjoy your van.
My mechanic told me to turn the stereo up louder. He's right the noise is gone.

The drivetrain noise that I have falls into the humming/whirring/oscillation category based on one of the youtube videos listed in the first post (Oct31 sprinter 4x4 humming oscillation - YouTube). My van is a 2016 144 4x4 passenger with 60K miles. I bought it as certified preowned and so it had a 12 month CPO warranty. I took the van to the dealer to have this noise addressed. They replaced the front differential and the transfer case (under warranty) and the noise is still there. I did a ride along with a mechanic and he told me that the sound I was hearing was normal.

Side note: they did find metal shavings in the fluid when draining the original transfer case.

Has anyone else had this whirring/oscillation noise fixed and, if so, what was the fix? I did read the previous posts but it was not clear if members are talking about the same noise that I have.

Flagster

The drivetrain noise that I have falls into the humming/whirring/oscillation category based on one of the youtube videos listed in the first post (Oct31 sprinter 4x4 humming oscillation - YouTube). My van is a 2016 144 4x4 passenger with 60K miles. I bought it as certified preowned and so it had a 12 month CPO warranty. I took the van to the dealer to have this noise addressed. They replaced the front differential and the transfer case (under warranty) and the noise is still there. I did a ride along with a mechanic and he told me that the sound I was hearing was normal.

Side note: they did find metal shavings in the fluid when draining the original transfer case.

Has anyone else had this whirring/oscillation noise fixed and, if so, what was the fix? I did read the previous posts but it was not clear if members are talking about the same noise that I have.
Size of metal debris in TC fluid? Pictures...

I have changed my TC fluid since new every 30K miles and there is always a bit on the magnet...normal metal wear...

our 2015 has had a drone/whirr since new...I haven't lost sleep and 110,000 miles later it hasn't given us one issue...4x4 actually works better with increased miles...

OffroadHamster

My t-case has a definite whine when in 4X, louder in 4-low. It does the occasional clunk bank crunch when trying to get in or out of 4x. Ive covered thousands (probably >10-12K) of miles in 4x and so far no issues. Recently serviced the trans, torque converter and t-case. Was surprised to find that the t-case took ATF. The van definitely shifts smoother now, but T-case function remains unchanged. Ive never really been concerned, its one of the quietest selectable 4wd/awd systems I have owned, short of a 2015 F150. All my other vehicles whined and droned like nobody's business. I chalk it up to mounting and insulation. My Subaru has more gear whine than the van, consequence of polyurethane bushings throughout.

Size of metal debris in TC fluid? Pictures...

I have changed my TC fluid since new every 30K miles and there is always a bit on the magnet...normal metal wear...

our 2015 has had a drone/whirr since new...I haven't lost sleep and 110,000 miles later it hasn't given us one issue...4x4 actually works better with increased miles...
Unfortunately the dealership tech did not take pictures or provide any other information. Good to hear it has been a non issue for you. My gas mileage seems reasonable and I think that is a good indicator. Thanks for the input.

Occlusion1

I was advised by my local MB dealer here in the South of England that the front differential on my December 2017 319 4x4 camper van needed to be changed . The van has 26000 miles on the clock . The front diff whine had certainly increased in volume at around 35 mph after a recent trip around Scotland . The diff was duly changed at a eye watering cost of not far short of £ 8500 . Mercedes Benz European Customer Care was utterly unhelpful , refusing point blank to help with cost . The new diff also whines but is quieter . My question is ,given that many do whine , what sort of mileage have owners done with whining differentials without differential failure ?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I was advised by my local MB dealer here in the South of England that the front differential on my December 2017 319 4x4 camper van needed to be changed . The van has 26000 miles on the clock . The front diff whine had certainly increased in volume at around 35 mph after a recent trip around Scotland . The diff was duly changed at a eye watering cost of not far short of £ 8500 . Mercedes Benz European Customer Care was utterly unhelpful , refusing point blank to help with cost . The new diff also whines but is quieter . My question is ,given that many do whine , what sort of mileage have owners done with whining differentials without differential failure ?
I can only faintly hear our front diff and it’s usually in 45 mph range. Hadn’t gotten worse or better. 2017 4x4 with 70k mileage.

150,000 miles on original front diff, slight whine around 25-30

Top Bottom