The Road to Gemini Bridges

mawsea

sprinter guru
This place is outside Moab, Utah. Could of been a different planet as far as I am concerned. Coming from the pacific northwest I felt like I had just landed on mars. To get to Gemini bridges you have to drive up Shelf Road. They call it shelf road because it is basically a shelf on the side of cliff. !000 feet straight down and a 1000 feet straight up. Not for the weak of heart and once committed there is no turning back till you reach the top. We did it in the middle of the night and I had no idea what lay ahead. I've been down many a treacherous road and that night I didn't want to tell my family but I was scared!

Attachments

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
some fantastic pictures, thanks for posting.:hmmm:

are these power lines i see in this one?

mawsea

sprinter guru
Yes, that is the place. Part of the road is above the highway so what you are seeing is power lines. Here is a pic of some of the many petroglyphs found thru-out the area.

Attachments

surlyoldbill

Gemini bridges kicks ass. Biked there many times. Hurrah Pass is nice, too, and a lot less people. If you want a scary road, take the road to Mineral Bottom.

Most of my secret campsites are now off limits. I remember when Moab was a backwater town, and the BLM land was wide open.

RedRocker

The tall rock formation behind you in the first pic is called the Gooney Bird. Been down that road many times
over the last 25 years.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Gemini bridges kicks ass. Biked there many times. Hurrah Pass is nice, too, and a lot less people. If you want a scary road, take the road to Mineral Bottom.

Most of my secret campsites are now off limits. I remember when Moab was a backwater town, and the BLM land was wide open.
Scary? I give you scary... Shafer Trail upwards to White Rim... 2 wheel rear drive... after winter storms rutted the path... :crazy:

yellowmike

Scary? I give you scary... Shafer Trail upwards to White Rim... 2 wheel rear drive... after winter storms rutted the path... :crazy:
How about shafer trail 2 up on my honda 650 L My wife has never forgiven me.. Beautiful ride though on a beautiful day...

Geek

How far back on Gemini Bridges did you get your Sprinter?
The sand starts to get pretty deep back there :eek:

We visit Moab a few times/year with our dirt/adventure bikes :cheers:

Here's a view from Gemini Bridges from about where you were referencing from your pic below

I'd love to try doing the white rim in a 4wd Sprinter

gregowski

Three weeks ago we rode the fantastic new Magnificent Seven trail and exited out the Portal, then spent the next 4 days on the White Rim. The White Rim was about the most buff I've ever seen it, bar the deep sand sections.

Magnificent Seven starts off the 313 where you park for Gemini Bridges, and parallels it much of the way, but is singletrack all the way. It incorporates seven of the best singletrack trails for a ~30-mile singletrack outing.

Here's some video of Mag7 from the MTBR forum:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/0xaFguG0iFA

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
How about shafer trail 2 up on my honda 650 L My wife has never forgiven me.. Beautiful ride though on a beautiful day...
You can always turn the bike around!!

My options were...
1) slide backwards-full brake lock, and off the edge.
2) $1500 (min) tow.

calbiker

Gemini Bridges was a boring ride in the "old days". Now the Magnificent 7 bike area (surrounding Gemini Bridges) is world class.

Top Bottom