Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
geds

Default Corner Bed vs Sofa Bed pros & cons

We are purchasing a 2018 Serenity with delivery scheduled for May. A big question we are still struggling with in should we order the corner bed or the electric sofa? (We plan to leave it set up as a bed rather than go through the hassles of setting up and tearing down the bed each night - one of the main reasons we traded our Winnebago Era 170C.)

If we leave the sofa bed set up as a bed, is there storage room under it? Would there be room for long objects (fishing rods)? What about if we got the corner bed setup instead? Is the storage space under the corner bed accessible both inside and outside the coach?

I have read through a lot of insightful posts here - and I appreciate the wisdom therein!

We are looking forward to joining the Serenity Club! Thanks!
geds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,493 Posts
Default Re: Corner Bed vs Sofa Bed pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by geds View Post
A big question we are still struggling with in should we order the corner bed or the electric sofa? (We plan to leave it set up as a bed rather than go through the hassles of setting up and tearing down the bed each night - one of the main reasons we traded our Winnebago Era 170C.)
I think you just answered your own question. Like many you have discovered that there's just no replacement for a permanent bed, and if that's the case then I'd go for the corner bed and thus maintain full-time use of both the bed and couch or dinette. As to whether you'll like the corner bed or or not, only you can say. Some are bothered by the additional difficulty in making it up (never been an issue for us, but what can you say) and some don't like to have to crawl over the other if the 'inboard' person gets up, but likewise it's just not a big deal to us. All compact RVs involve compromises and for us the small inconveniences of the corner bed are greatly outweighed by the convenience of having a full-time bed and living area. But what's most important to you is something only you can answer, no one else's opinion really matters.

Last edited by smiller; 09-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
geds

Thanks for your reply so quickly! I know we can make both units function as "permanent beds" - I guess the question we are struggling with concerns storage logistics related to either way. With the sofa, is there storage under it (that won't slide out during travel starts/stops)? And if so, is that space significantly less than we would have if we chose the CB option?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,493 Posts

More often than not the corner bed provides more storage space underneath as the convertible couches tend to have a lot of room taken up by mechanics, but I can't speak specifically to the 2018 Serenity.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smiller For This Useful Post:
geds (09-16-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Steve Zoller

If you get the sofa bed, you can always leave it down as a bed and get the extra floor space when you want it. If you get it as a bed only, you loose the flexibility. We have a 2015 Serenity and when we use the sofa, we roll up a mattress topper and store it in the large cabinet near the bathroom. Provides maximum flexibility.
Steve Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
aljimenez
'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3

We have the sofa and would have preferred the regular mattress bed. We find the sofa surface uneven and not comfortable enough. We use a 2 inch memory foam topper which we leave on; we have a photo of this posted here some years ago which you could search if interested. We do bring the bed up enough to make for room in front of the bathroom and drawers which is nice.

Some old posts:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...highlight=sofa

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...highlight=sofa

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=10

Last edited by aljimenez; 09-23-2017 at 09:27 PM.
aljimenez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
geds

thanks for the advice! For those using the sofa, do you have much storage room under the sofa? And when using the cabinet for storing the mattress topper, doesn't that leave very little hanging closet space?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Steve Zoller

Geds, the outside cabinet in the back on the passenger side is the storage under the sofa. And yes, when putting the topper in that cabinet the only hanging space left is for jackets in the closet by the coach door. We live in ours 8-9 months/year and have no need to hang anything except the jackets.
Steve Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
Bertible

You might want to take a look at the mod I did to our Corner Bed storage to make it convertible inside/outside storage for gravity chairs. It's over on the new LTVForum.com site under Serenity/Libero. Yes mine is an older 08 Freedom II style, but I imagine the outside access on that right rear quarter to underbed storage is about the same. (the front storage of these units changed when they moved the door forward on the later models (2014?). Mine also happens to be a Libero, but there's no difference in the coach portion between a Serenity and Libero.

Gary
Delta, BC
Bertible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertible For This Useful Post:
Sundance (10-25-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Virider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertible View Post
You might want to take a look at the mod I did to our Corner Bed storage to make it convertible inside/outside storage for gravity chairs. It's over on the new LTVForum.com site under Serenity/Libero. Yes mine is an older 08 Freedom II style, but I imagine the outside access on that right rear quarter to underbed storage is about the same. (the front storage of these units changed when they moved the door forward on the later models (2014?). Mine also happens to be a Libero, but there's no difference in the coach portion between a Serenity and Libero.

Gary
Delta, BC
We find corner bed in our new Serenity much more comfortable than the sofa bed in our Pleasure Way. We too prefer to leave the bed as a bed and not make it up each day. Serenity has comfortable seating up front for up to six people, we find no need for rear sofa. More storage with bed as well.
Virider is offline   Reply With Quote