Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 07-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
israndy
Custom User Title

Default Replacing the roof air conditioning

The first summer that I had the Serenity we took a trip to Phoenix, only to discover that not only did the dash AC not work, but the roof AC also was not working. Where I live the temps rarely get over 65 and when I purchased it in KY and drove across country the temps got down to -16 at night. La Mesa charged us $350 to install a new starter cap, but it never ran again after we turned it off that night in Flagstaff. Bastards!!

Realized I needed it working now that I retired and called Dometic to find the replacement. They said that the new Penguins use a different thermostat and I should order the top unit and the control board and then new thermostat, for ~$1400. Yikes!

I called back and tried to get more detail, and found that since my compressor is what went bad I just needed the Dometic 641815 top unit (the stuff above the roof) and then would need to move the control board and wires from my old AC. I should have taken photos, but my mechanic did this for me for an incredible $240 all in. The sheet metal is the same and we just moved the control board and stand-offs. The new Penguin comes with NO control board, just a cable that goes from the motor and compress to inside. So it was relatively cheap, $560+ tax and shipping, $700 even delivered.

IMG_0286.JPG

Removed the cover

IMG_0287.JPG

Opened the ducting

IMG_0288.JPG

After removing the 4 bolts and brackets attempted to pull the AC off, but it was stuck with damn strong adhesive.

IMG_0290.JPG

So he torched a putty knife and cut thru the adhesive.

IMG_0291.JPG

That did the trick and got the old dead AC off the roof

continued below...
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
israndy
Custom User Title

Default Re: Replacing the roof air conditioning

Noticed after getting the AC down that there was a heating element in the roof AC but it had never worked, didn't even come up in the controls on the thermostat. Probably the dip switches were set wrong on the control board.

IMG_0292.JPG

The new AC was SO new that the sealant hadn't even stiffened. Just pulled it off and pulled the cable thru... This is the cable that we cut up. The wires from the motor were permanent so we had to cut the end off and wire the same colors up to the control board we moved over, all the other wires we moved over with the control board and hooked to the new capacitors and such.

IMG_0294.JPG

Cleaned the roof and moved the sheet metal ducting from the bottom of the old AC to the new one. Hooked up the thermostat and furnace and power and then cranked up the AC. As you can tell from the earlier photos it was very hot and this was great! Still need to cut another hole in the ceiling to get more of the cool air out of the duct into the RV like on the later model Serenitys.

IMG_0297.JPG

Gotta say I was REALLY impressed with my little RV this day. I have NEVER thought about getting up on the roof, I weigh over 200 lbs. I would clean the roof from a ladder with a long wand. I did ask the folks at LTV if it was OK to be on the roof, heck this is a fiberglass RV, no metal supports, and they commented that the AC guy is over 250 lbs and he has no problem. But here are two RV techs who just put all their strength into pulling the old AC off and they didn't push their way thru the roof, and it looks like they were never there except there is now a white AC where there was a silver unit.

The tech filled the gap between the cap and the roof of the RV with Sikaflex as he though it was going to leak if it wasn't already. Forgetting to use sealants will really be the death of the RV.

-Randy
Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
israndy
Custom User Title

Default Re: Replacing the roof air conditioning

Put down a bead of Sikaflex and then

That white plastic tipped wire, not sure what it goes to, we left it unhooked. The two phone wires go to the thermostat, the other one is the mystery.

-Randy