Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
JimS

Default New Serenity Ordered Add on suggestions or experiences?

Happy New Year to the Serenity forum from soon to be new LTV owners (well relatively soon!)

After ordering our new Serenity 2 months ago, we've been monitoring this forum and there are very few posts here on the Serenity side Is it because everyone who owns one is totally pleased or are there that few of them being purchased? Perhaps we made a mistake though we like the idea of the openness of the layout with 2 living areas, and ALL the light with those windows! Opted for the powered sofa BTW! Pretty much added all options but now looking for any OTHER suggestions from Serenity owners! We've read the thread from israndy which has been helpful, but haven't seen many other owners participate. Most of the "action" is on the Unity side and any of those threads are helpful too btw!

We are planning on adding a tv to the front LR area. Anyone else done this? Pictures? Naturally then, we need a dish and 2 receivers. We had the same setup with an in motion dish in our class A, but not sure the in motion is necessary in the LTV. Experiences ?

Thanks for any input and perhaps we can bring in some other experienced Serenity owners and "wake up" this forum!

Jim S
Montana/FL
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
aljimenez
'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3

Default Re: New Serenity Ordered Add on suggestions or experiences?

We are happy Serenity owners. We are not too heavy into TV, and in fact, "cut the wires" about 6 months ago: liberated from those over $100/month expenses. You know the TV swivels so it's viewable from the front seats, albeit somewhat smaller than ideal from that distance.

I think most people do not like the corner sleeping arrangement and I think this is one main reason for the Unity's popularity; also somewhat less expensive.

The main additions I have made are many 12v outlets all over. Changed non-LED bulbs to LED. I also built redwood ramps to level and a small table to hold the sink topper over the small trash opening. My wife is delighted with this homemade little table as it adds more counter space to the kitchen area; I can send you link to a photo if interested... Al
Old 01-07-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
JimS

Al,

Many thanks for the reply! Glad to hear there is at least one Serenity owner on this forum. 😁 We also like your table idea and would certainly like to see the pictures as well as your redwood ramps! I'm assuming you added the extra outlets yourself?

Everything is a compromise with motor homes, even more so in small ones. While we agree on disliking corner beds, the open area for living AND all the windows in this model appealed to us. Plus there are 2 sleeping areas IF necessary!

Are you using anything on the cushions to sleep like a topper? Trying to figure out where you could store it as well! What kind of sheets are you using? What about these sleeping sacks? Questions, questions!

Thank you again,

Jim
Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
skudrunner
2015 Unity TB

We are looking at getting a class b and the Serenity seems to offer what we want. Have looked at the Roadtrek Adventurous and Airstream because I like the MB diesel but they were just to tight. Glad to see there are some, two, who can answer questions we will have through this process.
We are new to the RV world and don't want a Class A as we plan on limited camping but need something more versatile than a van or truck.

Our big issue is location of dealers and being in Oklahoma our choice is a four hour drive. We would like to rent one for a week or so but not sure that is possible.

John
skudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
chromisdesigns

I believe recent posts in the unity threads have stated LTV has suspended production on all class b units to concentrate on the widebody styles. At least for a year, IIRC.

If you are still into sprinter rvs and think you might want the nicest possible version send me a PM for details.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
procoast

Woohoo action on the Serenity board! I don't feel so lonely anymore! We bought our Serenity in September of 2013 and absolutely love it. We flat tow our Jeep Rubicon and with the addition of a Brake Buddy the Serenity handles it very well. I have also added Koni shocks and a Helwig sway bar from the Sprinter Store and it has really made a differance in the way it handles the road. We've also added a Tire Minder monitor and valve stems from the Tire Man (stems are a must). We use a Winegard in motion satellite with a dish receiver for our entertainment. Also bought a separate DVR player...using the coach radio to play movies was not for me. Leisure Travel did a great job with the satellite pre-wireing making the installation easy. I have also installed an Ultra Gauge, a hardwired EMS surge protector, a Trik-L-Start to keep the coach batteries happy and Weathertech floor mats. Remi blinds are next on the list. My wife's claims I can never leave anything the way it comes......I guess she's right. Just put a Whipple 650 hp supercharger on my Ford Raptor for an example. This forum.....well the Unity side of it has been a wealth knowledge in choosing what I feel were the right things for me to add to our Serenity. You will truly love your new Motorhome. PM me if there is anything that I can possibly help you with. We all have our own opinions here but it's you that ultimately get to make the decisions on your new motorhome...enjoy!
procoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
JimS

Procoast,

Thanks for all the information! This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear on this forum!
I hope more owners will contribute as well. It would be nice if this forum had more regular activity! Does the Winegard in motion work with DTV? Does it hunt long for reception?

Still looking for specific answers about bed toppers, sheets, etc. And IF anyone else has installed a TV up front! Afraid like you, I can't seem to leave things alone either, though NOT as technically able as many of you! I have to pay for much of my tinkering!

I may well pm you with more questions as we get closer to delivery but that will still be awhile...like early summer we hope!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
procoast

You will have to get one compatable with DTV. Not sure what you mean by long reception. Mine has the capability for two receivers, you will want to make sure that the one you get will have that too. I have not added second TV though. You might want too see how the TV that comes with the Serenity works for you first. The reciever that is usually used in an RV doesn't have the ability to record which I miss. Dish however only charges $7. if you add it to your existing home account. I'm not sure if you can just take the one out of your home that can record with you. Somebody else will have to answer that. I can see ours ok but have to move it out of the way to go back to the bathroom. We are using a Travasak for bedding but it can be a pain keeping it from sliding off the bed at times.
procoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
mumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudrunner View Post
We are looking at getting a class b and the Serenity seems to offer what we want. Have looked at the Roadtrek Adventurous and Airstream because I like the MB diesel but they were just to tight. Glad to see there are some, two, who can answer questions we will have through this process.
We are new to the RV world and don't want a Class A as we plan on limited camping but need something more versatile than a van or truck.

Our big issue is location of dealers and being in Oklahoma our choice is a four hour drive. We would like to rent one for a week or so but not sure that is possible.

John
Finding a unit to rent is pretty much impossible. Lake Region in Ramsey, MN. had one available for rental for a couple months a year or two ago. As was said, LTV has suspended manufacture of their Class B units. But if you are interested in a unit the size of a Serenity, without a slide, AND want to avoid the issue of no nearby service available, you might want to consider a Libero.

This is why I chose to go with the Libero as service is so hard to find in the prairies. No problem with a Chevy... plenty of GMC and/or Chevy service available.
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #10
aljimenez
'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS View Post
Al,

Many thanks for the reply! Glad to hear there is at least one Serenity owner on this forum. �� We also like your table idea and would certainly like to see the pictures as well as your redwood ramps! I'm assuming you added the extra outlets yourself?

Everything is a compromise with motor homes, even more so in small ones. While we agree on disliking corner beds, the open area for living AND all the windows in this model appealed to us. Plus there are 2 sleeping areas IF necessary!

Are you using anything on the cushions to sleep like a topper? Trying to figure out where you could store it as well! What kind of sheets are you using? What about these sleeping sacks? Questions, questions!

Thank you again,

Jim
OK, I decided to write a document with photos of most of the stuff I have done. I did much more in our previous Pleasure Way; the Serenity has needed very little to satisfy us completely. I am pretty handy and have done all myself; not all at a pro level, however.

Two main reasons we traded our beloved Pleasure Way for the Serenity: one is to have better sleeping for our grands, and the under 10feet height. We remodeled our garage to have a 10ft door and 28ft deep and after some shelving changes, the Serenity fits inside our garage. How well the Serenity is built sealed the deal for us.

I think some of your questions are answered in the document I created. After reading some posts I should add that I also use an EMS, but one that goes in the power post. I also installed a Trik-LStart to keep engine battery charged. We also have the "Tire Man" valves; we had him install them and he is quite a character to meet. We have not felt the need to enhance our suspension and we also tow our '94 Jeep (done the Rubicon trail three times) once in awhile.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SerenaAdditions.pdf (1.92 MB, 253 views)

Last edited by aljimenez; 01-08-2015 at 04:15 AM.
aljimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aljimenez For This Useful Post:
Shanti (02-20-2015), VaVet96 (02-04-2015)