Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
chromisdesigns
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Monterey peninsula
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 204
Thanked 559 Times in 426 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
I would likely be happy with a bigger tank and a water cooled propane genset if one existed.

Uncle Dave
Load a couple hundred pound tanks into the boat before a trip? Should help some...
__________________
2014 Coach House Platinum II
on 2013 Mercedes chassis
Soon to be up for sale due to repeated Mercedes diesel bugs!

If you are still into sprinter rvs and think you might want the nicest possible version send me a PM for details.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
israndy
Custom User Title
 
israndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,747
Thanks: 362
Thanked 490 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Where I'm at (California high desert) one has to run AC about 12 if not 24 hours a day, and at 100 degrees plus the propane genny has a hard time starting the second AC when its hot.
Uncle Dave
Second AC? I am guessing you are not driving a Sprinter...

I did just take a trip across country at the peak of the heat. We ran the AC while driving, but got used to the heat at night. I guess the one night in Phoenix was the only night we plugged in and ran the AC all night. The campers do get hot, I think the Serenity is the worst at shedding heat, with that low (read thin) roof and tiny window openings. I can open the roof, which I prefer to opening the doors, one of the reasons I got the RV, but I do miss the ability to open the whole back and side and have the RV cool in minutes. But when the bugs are out having screens on everything like the Serenity does, even came with screens for the cab, I can leave the windows open and walk away. Not gonna come back to 1000 bugs circling the LED lights.

-Randy

ps. We had AC problems this trip. Got to Lake Havasu and discovered it was not blowing cold enough, but a trip to the dealer in Phoenix got us back and running. I won't lie, that is a HOT part of the world. The guys putting our mattress in, lifting the old one in and out at 110 in the shade and our camper in the sun, I'da passed out, but I come from foggy summers. I was glued to their swamp cooler while they worked.
__________________
T1N 2005 3500 based 2007 Leisure Travel Van's Serenity
Also a 40' Airstream Sky Deck, a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Honda Hybrid Insight, new 2013 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible
And all electric: a 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev and two 2007 Vectrix VX1 motorcycles, waited in line overnight for the Tesla Model 3 reservation

Last edited by israndy; 10-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
davegtravels (09-25-2017), Old Crows (10-10-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Uncle Dave
2013 3500
 
Uncle Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 117
Thanked 458 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
Second AC? I am guessing you are not driving a Sprinter...

I did just take a trip across country at the peak of the heat. We ran the AC while driving, but got used to the heat at night. I guess the one night in Phoenix was the only night we plugged in and ran the AC all night. The campers do get hot, I think the Serenity is the worst at shedding heat, with that low (read thin) roof and tiny window openings. I can open the roof, which I prefer to opening the doors, one of the reasons I got the RV, but I do miss the ability to open the whole back and side and have the RV cool in minutes. But when the bugs are out having screens on everything like the Serenity does, even came with screens for the cab, I can leave the windows open and walk away. Not gonna come back to 1000 bugs circling the LED lights.

-Randy

ps. We had AC problems this trip. Got to Lake Havasu and discovered it was not blowing cold enough, but a trip to the dealer in Phoenix got us back and running. I won't lie, that is a HOT part of the world. The guys putting our mattress in, lifting the old one in and out at 110 in the shade and our camper in the sun, I'da passed out, but I come from foggy summers. I was glued to their swamp cooler while they worked.
yes and no...obviously the 2 AC unit is the motorhome.

To clarify- I have a diesel 8000 in my sprinter and a propane 6300 in my Motohome (for now)

My wife runs an energy hungry business out of the sprinter (pet grooming) , and the motorhome is simple hedonism.

Ill probably outfit the motorhome with an identical genset as a backup for the business.

Welcome to my world!

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
pattonsr
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 196
Thanks: 2
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

I just stumbled across this tidbit regarding the 3.2 KW Onan diesel generator. The Onan EC-30 autostart does not support the QD3200. I looked at the Magnum AGS module and found a warning that the QD3200 is not supported. The Onan QG 3600 propane is supported along with almost everything Onan has offered for the last 10 years.

If your pets are left alone for part of the day with AC on via shore power and the shore power goes off, then the EC-30 (or EC-30W) will turn on the generator and support the air conditioner. But this strategy will not work if one has the QD3200. The QD3200 came out in 2007 and is the baby of the Quiet Diesel line that is used by many Class A RVs. It appears that the QD3200 did things differently and is not compatible with remote autostart.

This only matters if one is planning to add the EC-30W to provide for pet safety. The EC-30W is wireless and is designed for easy customer installation.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
avid
Saphira's rider
 
avid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 302
Thanks: 57
Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

I hate to name drop, but DEAN told me that onan/cummins doesn't even make the diesel generator. IIRC he said it was a European manufactured model that is rebadged to Onan. I asked pointedly about this because I am not a fan of propane generators either.

I wish the motorhome manufacturers would simply provide a bay to store either a Yamaha or Honda portable. They are much, much quieter, more efficient and less expensive. Here is a real eye opener. Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain. But oh, those 10K diesel gensets on pull out front trays are sexy!
__________________
avid
Ashland, OR
2007 Airstream Interstate

Last edited by avid; 10-08-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
pattonsr
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 196
Thanks: 2
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Avid,

That would explain why the QD3200 seemed like someone else designed it. I found it really odd that the Onan EC-30 did not support it. Now it makes sense.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
israndy
Custom User Title
 
israndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,747
Thanks: 362
Thanked 490 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain.
Yeah, if the genset was missing you would have all that space available for a second set of batteries fed by a big alternator and solar panels. I just bought 245 watts of flexible panels for my RV.

SolarVansmall.jpg

Get a big inverter to run the AC to cool off the van, or run the microwave or keurig. If you needed to recharge and didn't want to run the engine and were not near shore power you could get the little Honda and set it on the ground so the vibrations don't transfer. Sweet!

Why is it every time I dream of modifying the electrical I always have to come back to what I already have? Yes, my Honda's gonna get stolen on the ground. Yes you cannot run the 13,500 BTU AC on batteries. Funny how experience in what sells makes RV manufacturers able to make a better RV than I can dream up.

-Randy
__________________
T1N 2005 3500 based 2007 Leisure Travel Van's Serenity
Also a 40' Airstream Sky Deck, a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Honda Hybrid Insight, new 2013 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible
And all electric: a 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev and two 2007 Vectrix VX1 motorcycles, waited in line overnight for the Tesla Model 3 reservation

Last edited by israndy; 10-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
Uncle Dave
2013 3500
 
Uncle Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 117
Thanked 458 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I hate to name drop, but DEAN told me that onan/cummins doesn't even make the diesel generator. IIRC he said it was a European manufactured model that is rebadged to Onan. I asked pointedly about this because I am not a fan of propane generators either.

I wish the motorhome manufacturers would simply provide a bay to store either a Yamaha or Honda portable. They are much, much quieter, more efficient and less expensive. Here is a real eye opener. Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain. But oh, those 10K diesel gensets on pull out front trays are sexy!
I employ this strategy and it isn't a panacea.

I don't know anyone that has a diesel genset in their RV that uses portables because that move forces you to carry and use a (highly volatile) third fuel.

No true portables will start and run a 15K AC unit, and it takes two to reliably start and run a single 13.5 (not equipped with a hard start kit) if its hot or if you are at altitude. Is a yamaha 3000ISEB - "portable"?

As for maintenance and economy- I disagree The oil change interval on the water cooled diesels is usually 150 hours vs what 20 for a honda 2K? The portable when used long periods need frequent valve adjustments and timing belt changes.

The RVQD 8000 in the grooming van idles at a few hundred watts using only .13 gallons an hour. This is honda 2K consumption level.

I have a propane genset and use portables a lot but if I had a diesel I would leave those babies at home.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Uncle Dave
2013 3500
 
Uncle Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 117
Thanked 458 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Comparison between a honda 2K and a diesel 8000 maintenance schedule.

UD
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 1.45.40 PM.png (129.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 1.45.08 PM.png (76.9 KB, 70 views)
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
avid
Saphira's rider
 
avid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 302
Thanks: 57
Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Propane vs. Diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
I employ this strategy and it isn't a panacea.

I don't know anyone that has a diesel genset in their RV that uses portables

I have a propane genset and use portables a lot but if I had a diesel I would leave those babies at home.
Thanks for your opinion! Others don't agree with your POV.
__________________
avid
Ashland, OR
2007 Airstream Interstate
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.