Sprinter Reliabibility? What is it REALLY

Wray

True that Toyota does seem to be the preferred terrorist vehicle worldwide.
I see that they out number most all other terrorist vehicles on worldwide news coverage.
Both terrorist and Toyota pickups seem to be reliable.
Both terrorist and Toyota are very expendable things, in my opinion.

Flagster

Don't buy one so I have more options when we buy a second...our 2015 4x4 144" has been flawless... (other than questionable small parts availability only in Germany haha...and pricey MB service but we have a good dealer in town which helps)...

lockrob

Mine has 275k on it.This is my 5th service vehicle.
All the others were worn out at 200k.
1 GM and 2 Fords .Just drove it from Fl to Tenn and back with no issues.
Yes it has had its problems,Egr,turbo new fuel tank.
The trick is Service ,use MB fluids.

Seber

We bought our '06 with 96,000 on the clock. So far I've put 600 miles on it. It ran well when we bought it and it was given a thorough check with all fluids changed. So far the EGR has gone out, turbo actuator failed and several sensors have had to be unplugged and contacts cleaned. My '04 Dodge diesel with 180,000 miles has had a water pump at 140,000 and a throwout bearing replaced at 175,000. It's pretty early to say, but it isn't looking good at this point.

bhowell_10

We bought our '06 with 96,000 on the clock. So far I've put 600 miles on it. It ran well when we bought it and it was given a thorough check with all fluids changed. So far the EGR has gone out, turbo actuator failed and several sensors have had to be unplugged and contacts cleaned. My '04 Dodge diesel with 180,000 miles has had a water pump at 140,000 and a throwout bearing replaced at 175,000. It's pretty early to say, but it isn't looking good at this point.

Oh what I would give to have a Sprinter that would present me with a failed throwout bearing! I would consider it a privilege and honor to replace that failed part!

cvo

I'm looking at getting a new Sprinter based RV. Are the engines really as troublesome as it appears in different forums?

From what I am reading, it seems owners need to set aside $20k just to be sure you will have a working Sprinter for 150,000 miles. Is this true?

Do they really break down every 20,000 miles?

I know the Service A and especially B is expensive - so why choose the Sprinter over a marginally less MPG fuel efficiency?
When I bought my 2014 I bought the Extended warranty and maintenance. So far I've put 62K on it and used the extended warranty one time.

sleeper bird

If i were to buy another used sprinter i would,have all glow plugs removed,never seize put on all six,or if higher miles replace and never seize with mb plugs.Before i bought it,that has been really the only bitch iv got about my 08 192,000 miles. Dont get me wrong iv had a few issues,trans shudder,exhaust flex broken,air vent controller in the dash and compressor.BUT all in all the thing pulls like a bull and for the size is easy to drive.gonna be hard to go back to gas engines when that time comes,and from what is being done to diesels at this time with emissions that time will be coming.

Sprinter SS

I am on my 4th Sprinter since 2003. Nothing but good service, had emission stuff go out on newer ones, waste gate and trans leaks on old T1N. But, amazing mileage and function out of the design. I like the ergonomics and comfort of them as well.

Best advice I give to people who ask me is shorten your service intervals and use proper fluids, keep and eye on things and fix little things before they become bigger deals. In general preventative maintenance !

lindenengineering

Well what surprise me is some of the total piles of Schitt that roll up outside my shop from the east coast and the midwest usually driven by eastern Europeans and Russians.

I have one in today with an expeditors load in the back. It got as far as Denver but "the wall" has done it in!

Apart from the fact that it looks like an old pepsi can that has been kicked around Caracas for a week! The radiator trans cooler has ruptured filling the engine cooling system with trans fluid oil.
The DEF is totally plugged and blown the flex pipe off!
The sensors are all to cock and it won't run fast enough to get out of its own way!
But with $3000 invested in my shop it will run again as good as tongue in cheek new!
It astonishes me just how sturdy these things are and how they keep running with some questionable repairs that go on back east and in the Chicago area.
Ah well keep on truckin and this thing may just get over the wall tomorrow and make it to California where the fruits and nuts reside!

After all from Vail Pass its downhill all the way, even passing Winnemucca at full throttle !:lol:
You might ask WTF is Winnemucca?--well it's in Nevada! Not much there just pass it by!
Dennis

lindenengineering

Well an old curiosity follow up.
It got fixed and at 420,000 it went up and over the wall--Continental Divide. Without the merest hint of a hiccough!

O' Rafferty's Russian motor van going West (at last) to infest SoCal streets with a load from Pennsylvania!:thumbup::laughing:
Dennis

Top Bottom