Help , No Crank,No Start 2005 sprinter leisure travel free spirit

jjweb

Hi , I am new to forums and have been researching this problem that others have had also .
2005 sprinter . Turn key on and all lights come on and fan goes on but no start and no crank.
I replaced battery already . Let me back track a couple days . I started up and these lights were all on

Trans was shifting cluncky and tach not working after about a mile of driving the tach started working and trans shifting smoothly , and the oil and fuel filter light would turn off , but the engine light , esp, glow plug , and tire light would stay on . Next day would not start , I got a jump and drive to autozone put in battery and it started up no problem the first time . Got home and would not start since the .
Have these engine codes

Checked all fuses look good , have read it could be easy fix by just replacing ecu relay ?

Last edited:

jjweb

P0500 wheel speed sensor CAN bus failure
P0600 CAN bus failed
P2333 vehicle speed sensor implausible
P2817 engine time off
P2013 ambient air temp CAN signal fault

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Looks like the main CANbus Is not functioning. This is usually caused by a wiring problem. But could also be a power supply issue. Get the van scanned with a sprinter compatible scanner. The sub codes will tell you more.

Without CAN communication, the van can't perform the start process.

jjweb

Bummer , does not look like an easy fix !! I just got the van running so good had a cracked turbo resonator and leaking hoses I replaced , but this electrical problem is out of my skill set !
Anyone have a recommendation on a mechanic in Ventura , California

jjweb

Will check all grounds , if I can't find anything I will have to break down and bring it to an actual mechanic ..

surlyoldbill

I always repeat this bit of sleuthing knowledge I learned here:

No crank, no start and the electric fan at the radiator goes on when the key is in the ON position often means the fuseblock under the steering column has gone bad or less often the ECU relay on the fuseblock. Known issue. For whatever reason, the ECU relay is not getting or sending power and it sends the van into "failsafe" turning on the fan just in case it's overheating (it doesn't KNOW because it's not getting any feedback)
Replacement fuseblock is about $100.

Nubes

Did you try Concour motors in Ventura? They seem to be about 20 to 30% cheaper then the steelership. Good luck!

jjweb

Yes Nubes , dropped if off on Friday . you recommended concours to me , when we were out in the surf
Thanks

Top Bottom