MB Oil Change Intervals Document - DPF

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

Re: Document

It may be beneficial to preform an oil change immediately after a manual DPF regeneration?

lindenengineering

Bob
Thanks for taking the time posting this,:thumbup:
Just reinforces my posture that 5000 miles is enough before a crankcase drain is in order.
Again backed up by oil analyst's results from my end.

20,000 mile drain intervals! --my arse!
Blame it on marketing men--No room for yah see these days for REAL men --them thar wheel tappers and shunter club people --only key tappers and paper shufflers who wear male hand creme make the policies !:rolleyes:
Dennis
p.s
Did this bloke tap keys and shuffle papers? I bet he didn't wear hand creme either!
This man's quotation:smilewink:

I am opposed to the laying down of rules or conditions to be observed in the construction of bridges lest the progress of improvement tomorrow might be embarrassed or shackled by recording or registering as law the prejudices or errors of today.

Basically applies today as it did 150 "yurs" ago!

https://www.google.com/search?q=isa...=ztMRWPLIEaPljwT7rbP4CA#imgrc=HWkJ3IKYbVD6fM:

D

Deleted member 50714

Thank you and your are most welcome Dennis! Coming from one of the forums most respected member’s, I appreciate your gratitude!:hugs:I am not certain if the document has been previously floated on the forum, I haven’t seen it in well over 15-months of data mining the forum and internet for information relating to Sprinters.

:professor:It has been said truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. It’s curious the forum’s diehard 20,000-mile oil change club hasn’t weighed in? I guess, much to their detriment, many have placed me on the dreaded “Ignore” list. Read it and weep guys!:cry:The document straight from the inner engineering/research sanctum of your beloved Mercedes-Benz.:thinking::lol:

:thinking:From the beginning, I was not convinced 20,000 oil change was in the best interest of the consumer and just another prime example of deceptive albeit effective corporate market/advertising ruse.:doh: For large fleet operations and uninformed single MB owner the 20,000-mile oil change/service appears attractive, however, in reality a huge detriment to promoting long vehicle service life. Now, I am not suggesting following a reduced oil change interval will result in reduced breakdown issues but certainly can’t do any harm and may contribute to extending the vehicles service life.:thinking:

Additionally, the document raises many questions and I have about a thousand I would like to ask the head weenies of MB’s engineering and marketing, particularly the ASSYST computer. Although, I changed the oil at 10,000-miles, as far as the ASSYST computer is concerned, I haven’t performed any service. However, the ASSYST computer has yet to trigger a service alert based on time. Why?

Anyway, I could drone on with my “Drivel” for hours but need to tend to other priorities.

:cheers:

BoB 1.2

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Yes this stuff is known to the people who refuse to bury their heads in the MB gold plated sand. I'm interested in the "not for Latin America" part, does that mean their w906 sprinters didn't get DPFs???

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Yes this stuff is known to the people who refuse to bury their heads in the MB gold plated sand. I'm interested in the "not for Latin America" part, does that mean their w906 sprinters didn't get DPFs???
Latin America doesnt have ULSD. So no dpf, this also means shorter OCIs due to the sulfur.

lindenengineering

Oh come on Dennis, what does a guy who sees five Sprinters a day in his shop know compared to a generic owner's manual? ;)
Well so far engine oil analysis from various sources tends to err towards a more frequent oil change period than officially stated in some cases.
This can be borne out by the deposits of ash and carbon found in the pan sump floor of engines having done 250,000 miles or more.

My finding and experiences have no weight really against the march of the marketing men.
In past centuries would you trust the word of these guys as marketing men?
Dennis

I swear the bloke in the middle has to be a Mie-kel from Ireland---Regular Mik! Tah be sure doncha know !:laughing:

And he's about to say Don't question my policies or I'll punch yah in the gob!

https://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/494/flashcards/3843494/jpg/21e5_1-145D54B717221DA5F08.jpg

D

Deleted member 50714

The large round device is - I believe your Diesel Particulate Filter.

DPF regeneration, in my mind is better described as DPF maintenance.

Essentially, the DPF (pay attention, Shane, this is pertinent, I promise) collects soot and when it gets about a gram of it (according to StarMOBILE), or when the pressure differential between the front side and the back side hits one (it might be one PSI, I don't know - but the scale is 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 ... ) the ECM ECU does a trick, using fuel; it boasts exhaust temperature. How hot? Well, according to StarMOBILE to somewhere around 800 degrees Fahrenheit (see, I told you it was pertinent). This exothermic reaction converts the soot in to ash. It's also possibly vaporizing all that waxy stuff you're pointing at in the picture. I've never smelled anything, but maybe you have more wax on yours than I have on my Sprinter.

Maybe your Sprinter's a girl. I don't know.

I regenerate every 700 miles or so. I'm willing to bet you do too, but I don't know. In the last 6 months, how much have you driven?

-Jon
This youngster claims his Sprinter initiates active regeneration every 700 miles. That equates to 28 1/2 times in 20,000 miles. According to the document, it appears a lot of raw fuel can be introduced into the crankcase oil? Also, According to the 2015 MY owner's manual the multi-functioning display should alert when regeneration is in progress. However, in over 12,000 miles, I have not witnessed any alerts. According to the document this is completely normal. Okay?

CONCLUSION: Multi-malfunctioning display is clever marketing revenue generator. Mesmerizing electronic gidget-gadget or snake oil that appears prone...programmed to throw false, expensive to diagnose and repair codes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
hi Frank, did you find out about the manual regen. ?
i'm a newby owner and keen to know.
col
Manual REGEN (DPF Regeneration) on a Sprinter can only be done by a full function scanner tool since REGEN is totally controlled by the ECU. Mercedes did not provide the feature for drivers to enable REGEN as found on many heavy trucks.

lawndart

This youngster claims his Sprinter initiates active regeneration every 700 miles. That equates to 28 1/2 times in 20,000 miles. According to the document, it appears a lot of raw fuel can be introduced into the crankcase oil? Also, According to the 2015 MY owner's manual the multi-functioning display should alert when regeneration is in progress. However, in over 12,000 miles, I have not witnessed any alerts. According to the document this is completely normal. Okay?

CONCLUSION: Multi-malfunctioning display is clever marketing revenue generator. Mesmerizing electronic gidget-gadget or snake oil that appears prone...programmed to throw false, expensive to diagnose and repair codes.
Is that the gold miner sound on exhaust. It sounds very hot!:idunno:

Ian beaver

I do my oil every 10.000 plus oil and air filter. Rotella 15 40 W is the best I have used 153.000 running like a best ever it has.

Vicbondo

2011, 170, 2500 , 190,000 miles
I drive about 10,000 mostly highway miles a year. I think this interval for oil changes given the capacity of oil should be accurate , however if the DPF is nearing the end of its service life it may require more frequent regeneration causing increased oil dilution.?? I can't see going 20,000 miles on a high mileage engine ,especially one that is not run regularly. I am a retired equipment mechanic and one thing that to me appears to be a shortfall in the engineering department is the size of the oil filter. I have not seen where anyone has attempted to improve things in this department . ..

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
2011, 170, 2500 , 190,000 miles
I drive about 10,000 mostly highway miles a year. I think this interval for oil changes given the capacity of oil should be accurate , however if the DPF is nearing the end of its service life it may require more frequent regeneration causing increased oil dilution.?? I can't see going 20,000 miles on a high mileage engine ,especially one that is not run regularly. I am a retired equipment mechanic and one thing that to me appears to be a shortfall in the engineering department is the size of the oil filter. I have not seen where anyone has attempted to improve things in this department . ..
https://www.pktfilterinsert.ca/oil-filter-inserts

Top Bottom