Way to Hide "Off-Topic" politically charged thread titles from New Posts?

codec6

I come to places like this to get away from the politics, but when I search new posts it's overrun with incendiary and often obnoxious headlines from people who are looking to get a charge out of others and argue about politics.

Is there any way to hide the off-topic forums from new posts so thatarguments about Trump and this toxic "liberal vs conservatives" nonsense & fighting do not take over the new posts page when I'm here to learn, share, and talk about cool Sprinters?

codec6

Re: Way to Hide "Off-Topic" politically charged thread titles from New Posts?

Ironically it seems this very forum itself is hidden from the default "New Posts," while the political nonsense isn't... huh?

codec6

Ahh THANK YOU!

This stuff was really starting to ruin my experience of coming here.

I'm guessing that it's turning off many new visitors to these forums as well, since so many obnoxious and hostile titles appear by default when you click "New Posts," which is probably one of the most-clicked buttons when a new user visits the site.

Sometimes I have to scroll to find something that's even about Sprinters.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

Hiding the Danger Zone solves the worst of the problem. However, I too use "New Posts" and unfortunately, there seems to be no way to hide specific threads in non-hidden sub-forums. Some versions of vBulletin permit this. it really adds to the ability to scan the list efficiently, since one can filter out threads of no interest.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr

It would be nice to hide specific threads on the new posts list. In addition to helping with the political stuff, it could weed out threads that have wandered off their original topic or that are not interesting to a particular user.

glasseye

See my thread “The Usual Suspects” in the “Off Topic” area for more on this. :idunno:

Davydd

I’ve had the Danger Zone blocked out. I was hoping to block the “usual suspects” in the Off Topic forum but there thread post show up without their message in New Post. So I had to block out the Off Topic forum as well. So if there is anything of interest that is non-political in the Off Topic forum I guess I won’t see it. I am mostly interested in Sprinter RVs anyway.

glasseye

So if there is anything of interest that is non-political in the Off Topic forum I guess I won’t see it.
That's the downside, I guess. Any of the camaraderie-related, off-topic posts are then invisible. too bad, really. :idunno:

D

Deleted member 50714

...So if there is anything of interest that is non-political in the Off Topic forum I guess I won’t see it. I am mostly interested in Sprinter RVs anyway.
Good point, and from this point forward, all my meager Sprinter contributions will be posted in the Danger Zone.

Davydd

Good point, and from this point forward, all my meager Sprinter contributions will be posted in the Danger Zone.
"Meager Sprinter contributions" are your keywords. I won't miss them. :lol:

To try to address the DZ posts issue Sikwan has made a change which excludes DZ posts from the New Thread search.

I never use the New Post function. Some reasonable feedback over the next couple days as to whether it is working or not would be helpful.

:cheers: vic

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

To try to address the DZ posts issue Sikwan has made a change which excludes DZ posts from the New Thread search.
Does this simply do the same thing as simply blocking DZ using the above-described block-sub-thread feature?

While you are tinkering, please, please consider adding "ignore thread". This feature is available in many other vBulletin sites. It is key to making the "New Posts" feature efficient.

D

Deleted member 50714

I never use the New Post function. Some reasonable feedback over the next couple days as to whether it is working or not would be helpful.

:cheers: vic
Doesn't show "New Posts" but still shows in "Today's Post."

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74667

D

Deleted member 50714

I don't understand what all the whinnying is about??? If a person doesn't like a the title of a "Politically Charged Topic" why not simply ignore and skip over it???

If I have observed anything about human nature, is most people aren't happy unless their bitching about something and I am no exception.

Ignore feature is for dummies.

Rock Doc

Well, I don’t read every single post anyway, and am very selective about which topics and from whom I read. I don’t read the posts about bull-bars, because I’m not interested in adding one. (Nothing against bull-bars mind you; I’m just not interested in them.) I do read the topics about towing, because I do tow and am interested in the subject. Topics with a political subject I skip like I do the bull bars. I choose to read most of what I see from lindenengineering, because I respect Dennis' wisdom and his experience base that far exceeds my own "n of one".

I don’t expect this forum to house only what *I* want to see, and I don’t want it limited only to that. It's like a buffet: I’ll take what I want, and if I don’t want an item, I’ll leave it for someone else who does. I have the blessing of a capacity to exercise selectivity.

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

D

Deleted member 50714

Well stated!

BTW, speaking of Bull Bars, Mercedes does not recommend ANY aftermarket contraptions installed on the front of the vehicle. Just saying.

Rock Doc

BTW, speaking of Bull Bars, Mercedes does not recommend ANY aftermarket contraptions installed on the front of the vehicle. Just saying.
Doesn’t matter to me. I still don’t want one!

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Is there a way to block all "Off Topics" from the "New Posts" search? In previous version I was able to see Sprinter related subjects only, I am not sure it can be done with the current one but it is annoying. Perhaps moving all political threads to "Danger Zone" is possible.

Top Bottom