Outside Storage Done (for now)

Thought I would share my storage plan for stuff I want to take but does not warrant inside space. I should first note I have a Prime Design ladder and roof rack that I am very happy with. Both are an integral part for the storage approaches.

I already posted something on the rear door luggage carrier (double golf case) and it is working very well. I did order a cover (coverstore) for the top two feet for extra rain protection. Although the case locks, I also use a locking strap (steel cables) to keep honest people honest when parking on the street, and insurance for disappearing down the road while driving.

Up top I added two Pelican "double gun cases". They cost more than the stuff I put in them (oils, jumper cables, shore cable, lawn chairs, jacking pad, large tools, etc) but they are very durable. Walk/sit on them, no problem and they will not leak. Their height is less than the Coleman AC. I keep them unlocked in case a gun thief gets any ideas. The mini decks (attached to the crossbars are composite decking.

Feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions. This stuff is really never done, just wip.

Attachments

Shawn182

I use both those Pelican and SKB cases in the Audio Visual world extensively.

The Pelican cases are rock solid and waterproof. I have thrown digital cameras over waterfalls in them...but you have the right idea...keep unlocked cuz those usually have high value contents in them and ripe targets for theft, especially on the exterior of the van. I would recommend some form of security screws even being on top of the van.

The SKB case on the other hand is crap. I would not put much weigh in that especially in that orientation. Hinges, latches, and the metal extrusion easily flexes and bends. One solid slam on a pot hole at highway speed and I would not be surprised if they thing few open on ya.

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I just mounted Prime Design ladder, impressive design. My plan is to build a semi-permanent rack for a small barbeque and get a rack for chairs. But I really like your concept. Did the box come with mounts or you made them?

Shawn182 - I agree the SKB case is fragile and as you point out the door racks even more when mounted vertically. The good news is it is light so I can mount/dismount by myself in a few minutes when not needed. The attached shows how I mounted and added a backbone for stiffness. The horizotal angle sitting on a rung takes the majority of "bumps". Iur luggage weighs a combined less than 40lbs. Still I have not stopped looking for something better. I have not ruled out directly mounting a high end hard case luggage but wow, those are expensive. And scream, "take me I'm yours" :)

GeotgeRa -
If you are thinking about the mounting to the ladder, I used (4) M8 rivnuts directly into the rungs. The attachment shows a close up. Like the luggage case, try to place the weight of the grill on the rung(s) and rely on the rivnuts for "pull out" not "shear" to support the weight. I can envision a "J" bracket that hooks over the top of a rung then use a few rivnuts to stabilize.When my case is not in place, the rivnuts are barely noticable.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Shawn182 - I agree the SKB case is fragile and as you point out the door racks even more when mounted vertically. The good news is it is light so I can mount/dismount by myself in a few minutes when not needed. The attached shows how I mounted and added a backbone for stiffness. The horizotal angle sitting on a rung takes the majority of "bumps". Iur luggage weighs a combined less than 40lbs. Still I have not stopped looking for something better. I have not ruled out directly mounting a high end hard case luggage but wow, those are expensive. And scream, "take me I'm yours" :)

GeotgeRa -
If you are thinking about the mounting to the ladder, I used (4) M8 rivnuts directly into the rungs. The attachment shows a close up. Like the luggage case, try to place the weight of the grill on the rung(s) and rely on the rivnuts for "pull out" not "shear" to support the weight. I can envision a "J" bracket that hooks over the top of a rung then use a few rivnuts to stabilize.When my case is not in place, the rivnuts are barely noticable.
Thank you for excellent details.

Top Bottom