OM612 low oil pressure - Oil Pump Info

AdrianD

Re: OM612 low oil pressure when hot

Nope, the OM612 was available in the Grand Cherokee in Europe, Australia and Africa.

Nope, the OM612 was available in the Grand Cherokee in Europe, Australia and Africa.
And for a short time in the good ole' US of A. Added. Nope.

The Jeep OM612 diesel had an oil pressure monitor among some other differences. The NAS aka NAFTA Sprinter OM612 and OM647 5 cylinder diesels never got the oil pressure monitor. We only have an oil level monitor.

:cheers: vic

Unrelated.
The Dodge Crossfire has a version of the MB NAG1 transmission.

Last edited:

AdrianD

It really was? I was under the impression that the Grand Cherokee was never offered with a diesel in the US until the WK generation, 2005+, which had the same drivetrain as the V6 NCV3 Sprinter.

Also as far as I know only, the only OM612 application with an oil pressure sensor is on the Jeep.

I can't wait to open up my old oil pump, as I found two pieces of a circlip in the oil cooler input, they got munched by the oil pump and probably caused some damage.

Last edited:

It really was? I was under the impression that the Grand Cherokee was never offered with a diesel in the US until the WK generation, 2005+, which had the same drivetrain as the V6 NCV3 Sprinter.
You are correct. I stand corrected.

2002–2005 2.7 L CRD Diesel Mercedes Benz Diesel 163 hp (122 kW) 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) Not Available in North America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee#Engines_2

The fact that the Jeep OM612 engines have an oil pressure tap/monitor has been mentioned here on the forum. I ass-u-me'd that the reference was to Jeeps which were in N. America. I was wrong.

Thanks for the correction. Sorry for any confusion.

AdrianD

The time has come to change the oil again, so I took off the oil pan and replaced the oil pump in the process. Pretty simple procedure. Now for some carnage pics of the old pump:

This is what I found in the summer, at the oil cooler input. These two pieces went through the pump

AdrianOilPump01.jpg

First end plate (counting from pump input) has some nasty marks:

AdrianOilPump02.jpg

Pump gears look solid but check out the damage on this:

AdrianOilPump03.jpg

AdrianOilPump04.jpg

And the housing of the damaged gear:

AdrianOilPump05.jpg

Other gears, housings and end plates looked ok. With that kind of damage, no wonder I would have low oil pressure if it would heat up any amount over normal temperature.
Now for testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianD

Now, I've been driving like this for the past 42k miles, and who knows since when it had that damage. So hopefully the bearings are ok. During my ownership I haven't seen a degradation of the oil pressure, I assume that if the bearings would've taken damage from lack of lubrication, it should've gotten worse in such a long driving time.
If anything, once I replaced the oil cooler and cleaned the debris in the oil pump strainer, the oil pressure showed some improvement.

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport

Seems rude not to pull off a bearing cap since you had it apart.

AdrianD

I know :(
Sadly I don't have a socket for the main cap bolts and I'm also a bit scared to undo rod or main bolts.

Around town the idle oil pressure stabilizes higher than it used to be and at 1500 rpm it's up to where it was in the past cruising at 2000 rpm.
Updates to come as I drive it some more

Later edit: Sorry about the pic size and thanks for the resize Vic. I need to change my imgur settings.

Last edited:

AdrianD

Since everybody likes carnage pics, this is what happened to a hydraulic pump on a Case backhoe we used to own. The operator ran it low on oil. $1200 mistake, I was lucky to find an NOS pump in the US on the same day we took it apart. Dealer prices were 3 times that.

AdrianD

I did some serious testing this weekend, I had to climb a steep slope off-road, with 4 people in the car, on slushy snow. Coolant got to 215 for a very short period of time and coincidentally I had to stop then, the oil pressure did not drop below the lowest mark on the gauge. Victory! Previously it would drop at zero on the gauge even before the coolant got that hot.

Lemioux12

Salut Adi , deci ce pompa ai folosit pana la urma ?
6121810201 - the 613 longer pump , s-a potrivit plug&play ?
EDITED/ TRANSLATED :))))
Hi Adi , so what pump did you end up using ?
6121810201 - the 613 longer pump , was is a straight fit - plug&play ? - hi5 Aqua !:cheers:

Last edited:

Salut Adi , deci ce pompa ai folosit pana la urma ?
6121810201 - the 613 longer pump , s-a potrivit plug&play ?
For others not familiar, Google says Romanian.

Hi Adi, so the pump you use anyway?

AdrianD

OM612 pump off a CLK270. OM613 pump would've required shortening the suction tube.

There's an AMG C30 CDI pump for sale in Germany, that one should fit without any changes and it's as big as the OM613 pump.

Actually Lemioux12 is in my friends list on facebook .

More on the subject: the original sender failed, I replaced it with a Standard Motor Products one, it showed zero at idle and then it started puking oil. Then I purchased a Blueprint one and the oil pressure on the dash is rock solid.

I cut the last oil filter and found 4 or 5 shiny specs, very very small. According to the interwebs it should be fine. I'm still bummed that I did not take off a bearing cap when the oil pan was off.

Thanks for the follow-up. :thumbup:

... I'm still bummed that I did not take off a bearing cap when the oil pan was off.
:idunno:

I wouldn't beat yourself up about that... I mean, You shouldn't worry about it. The oil pressure is good. After the service and miles you have since driven the bearings must be ok. It is unlikely that a visual inspection would have revealed much. If the damage back then was bad enough to see, by now bad bearings would have reared their ugly heads.

:2cents: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

The bearing material/structure is very resilient. If it was bad enough to hit the cascade failure point, you would know by now. Likely a visual inspection would show minimal damage, only a plastigauge check for clearances would have given useful information.

AdrianD

That's what I was thinking, had it been a problem with bearings, one of the rods should've freed themselves in my off-road trips.

JeepWJ

Hi Everyone,

It's my first post, nevertheless I also suffer with low oil pressures during idle loads, on hotter days the pressure gauge falls to 0, then I have to rev it slightly (up to 1000rpm) to get the pressure up. My engine temperature usually sits at 100C (212F). I own the Jeep WJ with OM647 engine, I drive it hard at times, on my last safary in the sand dunes, the engine temp rose up to 110C (230F) and the oil pressure was falling constantly to 0 during idle. So I had to let it cool down a bit.
I think the reason of my higher temperatures might be a blocked radiator, as whilst driving on the highway the temp sits just below 100C (212F), but not at 90C (194F as it should), the thermostats are rated at 87C (188.6F) on the Jeep WJ OM647. I also have a suspension lift and larger tyres (32") so it's much more load on the engine compared to a stock vehicle.

Based on this topic and other information on the web I assume the oil pump is to blame. My car has approx 280kkm on the clock, it looks like most of the OM612/647 engines have oil suffocation in this running range.

I have ordered a new pump. Part Mercedes part number 612 181 02 01.
But once it arrived, I see that it's the longer (more powerful?) pump. There are two pumps available with this part number, one two chamber (OEM) and the longer one I received.

OEM pump fitted on the Jeep WJ with OM647 engine:

My new pump is one section longer, although with the same part number:

It also has an additional hole in the shiny section, any thoughts what is it used for? Searching photos it looks like nothing connects to it.

Comparing both pumps based on the photos (I still havent removed my old pump) , it looks like I can still fit the longer one, although it will require some modification of the tubes.

AdrianD, would you remember will the larger pump fit?
One of the tubes will have to be cut and extended, as otherwise it will not pass the corner of the longer pump.
The other tube will need to be cut and shortened. Is there enough room for the pump itself to fit?

Otherwise I will have to disassemble both pumps and build one from two.

Last edited:

Top Bottom