Power steering issues

mcguyver

I am currently in NZ. Before departure I left my van (2012 CD316 4WD) to have a service.

They have just contacted me and are saying it has a leaking power steering pump. They are also saying the steering rack is rusted on and needs to be replaced but sourcing parts is an issue.

Anyone had any similar issues?

Any and all info appreciated.

D

Deleted member 50714

I am currently in NZ. Before departure I left my van (2012 CD316 4WD) to have a service.

They have just contacted me and are saying it has a leaking power steering pump. They are also saying the steering rack is rusted on and needs to be replaced but sourcing parts is an issue.

Anyone had any similar issues?

Any and all info appreciated.
No similar experience. Question, any evidence of leaking or steering issues prior to taking it for service? Also, some members had reported satisfactory results with power steering stop leak. Worth a try before R&R.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Were the boots torn on the rack? Otherwise there is no reason for it to be in bad shape.

A leaking PS pump. Where from? Shaft seal? Reservoir O-ring? High pressure fitting? Its not unusual for the low pressure return hose to leak at the reservoir barb fitting. Also, overfilling the pump can cause spillage that may be misdiagnosed as a leak. In addition, if they were turning the steering wheel with the engine off, the fluid can overflow from the cap vent.

The rack can likely be cleaned and greased for more life, depending on if it has been damaged by debris.

On the T1N, the 2wd rack can be modified to work on the 4wd. I am not sure about the NCV3 though.

A few photos would be immensely useful.

mcguyver

Thought I would update this. After much searching for replacement racks I came across Ultimate Power steering at Brendale in Brisbane.

They totally rebuilt the rack including rechromimg the shaft for $1400. Comes with 2 year warranty

Very happy with the result.

jaahn

Hi Mac :rolleyes:
Thanks for updating us, glad you are happy.
One thing though, I am puzzled as to the shaft that was the problem. Is that the input shaft that was rusty, or the rack which had failed. Or have I misunderstood the problem area completely. Also were the boots torn or split in the convolutions.
Cheers Jaahn

Top Bottom