4x4 Questions

hilltop_yodeler

Hi, I'm not sure what a VS30 is so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong location.

I am the proud new owner of a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 / 144. The car-fax indicates "VAN 3.0L V6 F DOHC 24V DIESEL ALL WHEEL DRIVE". It's a 4x4 and on the rear door it says, "BLUETEC 4x4". I'm not sure what the Bluetec means.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
I've called two different dealerships to inquire if the van really indeed is all-wheel-drive with a differential lock for a more devoted type of 4-wheel drive, or if the van has rear wheel drive until you push the 4wheel-diff button, or something else. The two dealerships that I spoke with told me conflicting information, so I was wondering if anyone here can tell me definitively one way or another, when NOT in 4 wheel drive, is this an all-wheel-drive vehicle or is it a rear-wheel-drive vehicle? Also, when you put it in 4 wheel drive, is this equivalent to 4-high or is it meant to be treated more like 4-low?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to you!

Kirk

when NOT in 4 wheel drive this is a rear-wheel-drive vehicle

when you put it in 4 wheel drive this is equivalent to 4-high (unless of course you have the low range option and engage that)

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi, I'm not sure what a VS30 is so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong location.

I am the proud new owner of a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 / 144.
Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to you!
Your 2016 will be an NCV3. The VS30 is the latest model which is only just being released.

You should really repost this question in the NCV3 forum or even better read the existing posts within the NCV3 4x4 sub section.

Keith.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
publish the names of the Dealer and their answers... not to mention all your answers are easily found online if you take a few minutes to search for yourself..
NCV3s are 2 wheel drive untill you select 4wd, there is an option for high/low range but it’s not a standard feature and I’d venture to say it’s more of a high range if you don’t have the hi/lo option... there is also a downhill speed control type option.... regardless, the 4wd is a 35/65 front-rear ratio... there are NO locking or limited slip type differentials from the factory and really only 1 aftermarket installer for that and they are in Germany and they don’t sell their differentials for installation by anyone else... rumors for awhile suggest a new North American Dealer for them but I haven’t read anything more about them other than a demo vehicle is now in the States....

hilltop_yodeler

This is great information, thanks everyone! I had not heard of NCV3 before (this is all new to me), but that bit of information will help me in my internet searches. I've owned and worked on diesel vehicles in the past, but this is my first Sprinter. Lots to learn.... Thanks again!

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
This is great information, thanks everyone! I had not heard of NCV3 before (this is all new to me), but that bit of information will help me in my internet searches. I've owned and worked on diesel vehicles in the past, but this is my first Sprinter. Lots to learn.... Thanks again!
You are not alone... all this T1N, NCV3 and VS30 can be confusing if you are new to this land of Sprinter geeks. Check the Sprinter-Wiki link at top of web page for more info on Sprinter models.

https://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter

Sometimes I wish we would switch to using the Mercedes/Daimler model numbers. Guess I'll have to add those to the wiki. :rolleyes:

sailquik

hilltop-yodeler,
Send me an email with your Sprinter's VIN # (Use a smart phone to look through the windshield at the
VIN # plate just inside your windshield in front of the driver's seat) and a valid return email and I'll
download the OEM Build data card and send it to you as an attachment to a return email.
Then you will know all the things (4x4 configuration included) that were assembled into your Sprinter
when it was built in Germany.
Click on "sailquik" at the upper left corner of this text box.
Click on "send email to sailquik" in the drop down box that comes up.
Compose an email with your VIN# (or the photo from your camera phone) and a valid return
email address.
Then you will know if you have the 4ETS 4x4 system (similar to the "4Matic" system in Mercedes
Benz cars and SUVs) or the 4ETS system with the optional low range transfer case.
Either way, you have a 4x2 until you engage the 4x4, then you have a 35% front/65% rear biased
4x4 system.
If you have the low range transfer case, then when you engage 4x4 AND use the Hi/Lo switch to
engage the low range, you will still have a 35% front/65% rear 4x4 system with NO locked or
limited slip differentials.
Locked differentials would interfere with the the MB Sprinter traction control systems, so all USA
spec. Sprinters 4x4 use the 4ETS 4x4 system.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
No matter how you look at it these vans are NOT 4x4 by any stretch of the imagination.

I used to own a 2wd T1N and it went up steep dirt track with no problem, there was a little bit of wheel spin but it managed.

I then bought a NCV3 4x4 and tried going up the very same tracks and it failed to go up them even in 4x4 low, it just sat there hardly moving as the computer shut down slipping wheels.

JIB

it just sat there hardly moving as the computer shut down slipping wheels.
I have the same in a 2005 Volvo XC90. Turn off the traction control and it'll climb that hill beautifully. Turn it back on at the top.

Jack

JFM

I have a 2015 4x4 LR144. I agree that it is no Jeep or Land Rover (I have a Discovery II) but the M-B system is competent for basic exploration in dirt and mountain roads. No way you are gone a match a custom Jeep/LR but it fulfill most of our needs and allow us to go where no 2wd Sprinter could with safety IMO. Also, with the harsh winter in Québec, it is essential to have 4 wheels. We are very satisfied by our choice of 4wd over the 2wd.
Turning off the traction control helped sometimes on our side.
It is also possible to electronically lock the four wheels but it requires specific steps on the steering wheel buttons to get to that "cheat mode". It cannot be use at more than 10 km/h and only for a short period. I got that trick from a dealer and have tried it once...
JF

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I have a 2015 4x4 LR144. I agree that it is no Jeep or Land Rover (I have a Discovery II) but the M-B system is competent for basic exploration in dirt and mountain roads. No way you are gone a match a custom Jeep/LR but it fulfill most of our needs and allow us to go where no 2wd Sprinter could with safety IMO. Also, with the harsh winter in Québec, it is essential to have 4 wheels. We are very satisfied by our choice of 4wd over the 2wd.
Turning off the traction control helped sometimes on our side.
It is also possible to electronically lock the four wheels but it requires specific steps on the steering wheel buttons to get to that "cheat mode". It cannot be use at more than 10 km/h and only for a short period. I got that trick from a dealer and have tried it once...
JF
What's that trick?!

kingshade

So its still there? I have a 2016 so I know about the shifter...but i dont see one in most of the pics of the interiors.. is it paddle shifting instead? I live in the mountains on dirt roads and use the shifting all the time

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I have a 2017. Regarding the 2019 I just realized the shift lever is no longer, replaced by a steering wheel stalk. According to Car and Driver both the 7 and 9 speed come with paddle shifters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom