Considering a new Sprinter, i.e. 2016

Kaktusjaque

2002 Freightliner
Well my current Sprinter needs to be replaced. I went to the MB dealer as they are wanting to get rid of their 2016 stock to make room for the 17's. They are offering some real good deals to move them too. The van I was looking at is a crew van, this would be a work van for me. It has the 4 cylinder engine however and I am a bit apprehensive about a 4 and wanted to ask the forum their thoughts on this and any other thoughts on a 2016 sprinter.

Thanks for any input you have to offer.

chromisdesigns

A lot of people like the 4 cylinder better particularly the transmission program which does away with the need to shift manually. I would say if he gas one with the options you want go for it

Got my first MB Sprinter 2500 last year (Nov): Crew, 4 banger, diesel, 7 speed auto / manual, getting 26 - 30 mpg (at 55 - 65 mph). Excellent handling, power is good no--great, does that side wind thing perfectly. I'm, like so many others here in California, we live on the coast, am converting it to RV options. So far, the conversion has been relatively easy and a lot of fun.
Good luck.

sprinter 2016

Has anyone driven a V6 and a I4? My V6 2016 3500 with dual wheels gets about 16 mpg, but has great power going from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon south rim and back. Driving about a mile in elevation difference in 280 miles and driving down a mile coming back. Sometimes, I am grossing out at 10,000#. Am considering a 4 banger for my next Sprinter.

sailquik

Sprinter 2016;

I owned and drove 2010/2011/2012 BlueTec 519 Series (3500 USA) Sprinters with the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 and the 5G-Tronic (NAG-1) 5 speed. All 3 of them provided great service and got ~ 19 mpg.
When towing, @ 12,540 lbs. GCVW (Sprinters all weighed ~ 7,000 lbs.) the mileage dropped to the 14-16 mpg range.
Then I got my "dream Sprinter".
One of the first 4 cylinder 7 speed Sprinters to be shipped to the USA.
It's a fully optioned 2014 516 (3500 USA) with the OM-651 2.143 liter 2 stage turbocharged 4 cylinder 7G-Tronic 7 speed.
It gets 23 mpg most of the time and tows at the same 12,540 lb. GCVW getting slightly better (15-16 mpg) fuel mileage.
The superb 7G-Tronic Transmission makes all the difference, shifting up and down as needed (silently and seamlessly) to keep the % engine LOAD below 100% most of the time.
The % engine load goes to 99% (Scan Gauge II with a 2 digit % LOD readout) and in a few seconds the 7G-Tronic senses this and automatically downshifts one (or more if the gradient is steeper) gears to keep the engine making the best power without lugging down to well below the best performance/most efficient/best fuel economy RPM range like the OM-642 V6/5G-Tronic power train.
The little OM-651 + 7G-Tronic may not go up the grades quite as fast when heavily loaded, but it will definitely get you there, without manual downshifts and using less fuel.
I would recommend the 4.182 rear differential ratio if you are going to be loading your Sprinter to near the 9,990 lb. gross weight. (516/519/3500 USA "just under USDOT Radar" GVWR.
Compared to the 3 V6-5 Speed Sprinters I owned/drove (~250,000 miles) the I4-7 G-Tronic is truly amazing.
Get the suspension seats if they are offered.
Makes a HUGE difference.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Top Bottom