Can you open the galley windows on the Agile?

conleysa

Alright, after staring at this for what seemed like hours (was probably only minutes in truth) I am more confused than ever. The windows behind the kitchen in the Agile have the same arms to open and close them as the rest of the windows. They even have screens, which suggests they should open. But I can't figure out how. The rest of the windows have knobs you can turn to open them (only a couple of inches) but there are no such knobs on the galley windows because the cabinet is in the way. Am I missing something?

Steve Conley
2015 SS Agile

icarus

There should be a knob, and yes they should open unless they have changed the design. That said, if they haven't been open for a while, they may be stuck shut. A little (and I do mean little persuasion with a putty knife on the outside while some one cranks them open might help. Be careful not to over stress and break the glass.

Icarus

Ps the knobs ma have fallen off. In the OEM they didn't use locktite on the screws so they tended to work loose. The knobs should be quite generic to replace, the knurling and spindle size etc

conleysa

Thanks for the reply. I'm not even sure where the knobs are supposed to be - where they would normally be is blocked by the galley.

icarus

The knobs ought to be on the spindle in the middle of the mechanism, just like the others. In fact y can borrow a knob from one of the other windows to use to open them. Once open, I suggest some lube on the arms and th gear, spray silicone.

Icarus

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Yes, they can be opened using a knob that's behind/below the galley counter. A bit awkward trying to turn the knob. The galley counter on my 2010 Agile is too close to the window thus my fat hand has difficulty reaching.

cheers..

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
I had also wondered about opening them- it looks like all the hardware (except the knobs) is there. On mine, however, there's a length of plywood covering that area-- I suppose so things won't drop down behind. Not sure yet if I'm going to remove that, but it certainly looks like it could be done.

conleysa

I heard back from Roadtrek. Apparently they are no longer moveable windows. RT advised that because the knobs were so awkward to use, they stopped using them, and began glueing the windows closed.

icarus

I heard back from Roadtrek. Apparently they are no longer moveable windows. RT advised that because the knobs were so awkward to use, they stopped using them, and began glueing the windows closed.
So much for cross ventilation...bad call, bad design!

Icarus

just4grins

OK I too am annoyed by inoperable windows, but I've got a fix in mind. My knobs are all there and with twisting them I've been able to open at least three. The problem is your hand takes a beating. So I'm going to try and put a small aluminum lever on the knob to turn the knob open or closed. What I'm trying to is drill a hole in the lever, add washers (locking and flat) to see if it will work. Doing this first on a knob that is out in the open. If it works I'll add some epoxy to the mix and the thing should last for a very long time. I'll report back.:thumbup:

just4grins

Well I've 6 out of 8 open. The other two are not worth the trouble. My lever idea failed, so another great idea not worth a **it. Of the 2 galley windows one had enough space to get my hand into and open it. The other near the stove would take my skin off, and probably blow out the flames. However, I'm happy.

kondelou

I opened my galley windows once and then closed them. I think its really dumb RT didn't come up with a system for opening these windows. It seems with a little thought they could have come up with...I bet the one behind the bathroom has knob on it,, hehe!!

A better solution for cross ventilation would have been the ability to open the back windows ��

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Since the German Erwin Hymer Group has acquired Roadtrek...hope these guys come up with something schlauer(smart).

cheers...

kondelou

Wow, that's good news? I hope to see a better built rig and better service centers and readily available parts.
All in all its a good rig and being able to open all the windows would be fantastic. Oh yes and fix the leaky windows please :drool:

jvvjvv

2008 V6 Dodge 2500 Agile
I just picked up a 2008 Agile. The galley windows open fine after a little WD40 on the tracks. Need to use index finger on both hands to turn the knob, as no way my whole hand will fit down in there, but it doable.

Top Bottom