TV Antenna

Coleary00

Hey All,

My TV Antenna got fried by a heater, while getting an oil change a while back. I have seen past posts about people changing/removing their boomerang antenna with a sleek low profile antenna. My 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have a current link to a low profile antenna that will work on our Sesty's?

2. I have seen some Westy's that have removed the antenna completely, and not put another one up. Can you give me some insight into what needs to happen if I do this to ensure no leaking, etc.

Thanks All!

Kiltym

We removed our antenna. I believe it is attached with 4 screws into the roof. We use a bit of JB Weld to fill in the holes.

Then the cable was cut where it enters the vent for the tanks and removed as well.

Then the wire/zip ties (that held the cable) that are screwed in were removed, and holes filled with JB Weld.

The JB Weld we used was grey, and it does not match 100%, but for the roof, it looks fine. Be sure to remove all the sealant that is there, and clean well before applying the JB Weld.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Wintenna Boomerang Antennas

Original Airstream installed one was probably a Wintenna, 6" or so off roof. There is a lower-profile 3 1/2" one, as Tim in link below found.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7924&highlight=Boomerang+antenna

http://www.trucknvans.com/p-256-wintenna-boomerang-antenna.aspx

As mentioned in that thread, another Westy owner (Bend, Oregon?) installed a flush/surface mounted boomerang antenna--check Yahoo Sprinter Westfalia group for a photo (if you can find it; search function is a hassle and Yahoo Groups format isn't the best). Don't know manufacturer.

There may be other manufacturers as well.

Note: Check to see if there's a difference between antennas as to amplified or not.

2. Removal

Believe the boomerang antenna is attached with a single bolt into the raised metal plate. The raised metal plate (upside down rectangular box shape) has flanges with 4-6 screws total into the fiberglass.

Disconnect cable (unscrew nut).

Unbolt the boomerang antenna (open space under the rectangular plate to access nut).

Unscrew rectangular box.

Fill holes with caulk or something better (have solar panels above screwholes so filling screwholes with some type of caulk worked). If handy, fill screwholes with fiberglass patch and paint.

My antenna cable was just gooped in several places (no retention brackets or screws). Like Kiltym said, snip off at air vent in rear of Westy and remove cable.

3. Options

Never liked the boomerang antenna. Acts like a low-hanging-wire or tree branch catcher.

Other options include an indoor super thin flat panel antenna (stick in a window) or, if you have a rear door mounted ladder, a ladder-mounted bracket and antenna.

https://www.consumersearch.com/tv-antennas/best-indoor-hdtv-antennas

Double-check whether compatible with amplified or not hookup connection piece in closet.

Please.don't forget to post whatever you do and find. Thanks.

Coleary00

Thank you Old West and Kiltym, much appreciated. I am not a fan of the boomerang antenna either, so will likely try and indoor antenna. Will post when completed.

Thanks!

Connor

Top Bottom