radiator fan and clutch removal

tylaus

2005 dodge sprinter 3500
anyone replace a radiator fan and clutch? does the fan and clutch come off as one piece or does the fan seperate from the clutch? any special tools needed also

Boater

Yours may differ slightly but for mine a special tool is required to counter hold the fan assembly whilst you slacken the central bolt. When I say 'required', I managed by wedging a block of wood in the auxulliary belt to stop the fan turning :)

Once the assembly is off you can unbolt the blades from the hub/viscous clutch. There is a warning that the clutch should be stored upright so if you are planning to re-use it bear that in mind. Not sure if it is really essential, and if so what happens with a new one which may have been stored in any orientation before you get it?

It is a 2005 dodge sprinter 3500 with the 2.7 diesel motor
Some info for you should be here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11443&highlight=fan+tool

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9699&highlight=fan+tool

Edit: Unfortunately when I went back I discovered that the video has been removed.

There is some text here about removing the fan. Again, unfortunately the pictures weren't posted to Sprinter-source so they too have been lost. The text should help though.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9209

There is a cost to you for my information. As payment you must now take the time to add your vehicle info (at least the model year) to your signature or details. That way we will never need to ask again what model year you own.

Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 140 2500 Std Roof >240,000 mi. DAD”
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

Have fun. vic

Last edited:

cahaak

This post here will also give you the details on how to do it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12364

The fan removes from the cluth after you take the whole assembly out. While having the clutch holding tool is nice, you can do it without that tool as described. Pulling the plastic fan shroud up some and out of the way will give you more room to work. It is actually quite easy once you do it as one bolt removes the whole thing. Then 3 bolts attach the fan to the clutch.

Ask if you have more questions.

Chris

tylaus

2005 dodge sprinter 3500
Thank you for the help. I got the fan and clutch changed ut today the hardest part was getting the allen wrench in to get the bolt out with the limited space but i would like to say thank you.

stp57

The video has been removed. Is the allen head screw left handed thread & how much force is required to loosen it?
Steve

cahaak

As indicated, it is a regular thread (CC facing the engine to loosen it). It took a fair amount of force for me to loosen it, that is why I had to slip a pipe over the end of the allen wrench - to get enough leverage to loosen it. Becasue I was not able to get a socket with an allen fitting in there (radiator in the way), I used the pipe on the regular allen wrench trick. You do not have to use that much force to tighten it as the thread is such that the fan turns in a way which will not loosen up.

Chris

Boater

Ah, I was going to suggest 1/2" drive hex keys but I see space is the issue, I've only removed the fan when I already have the radiator out so might not have spotted that.
It doesn't take many bolts to get the slam panel out and I'm sure the hoses are long enough that you could lift the radiator and move it forward a couple of inches for access.

DARYL C.

2004 DODGE SPRINTER 2500/2012 MERC SPRINTER 2500
Are there any threads on how to change a radiator on a 2004 dodge sprinter van 2500? Is it difficult or does it require any special tools?

thanks in advance
Daryl

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
It looks pretty straightforward in the service manual?
Hose clamps appear reusable, but you'll want to confirm that.
The "evacuate air conditioning" item would cause me pause...

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2004-VA-SM.pdf
(see 7-Cooling > Engine > Radiator > Removal)

(While you're in there you should consider doing preventative front-end engine maintenance... water pump, belt, tensioner, etc.)

Last edited:

DARYL C.

2004 DODGE SPRINTER 2500/2012 MERC SPRINTER 2500
I had the radiator replaced but now I am smelling fumes inside of the cabin. Can anyone tell me what can be the cause of that. Can something like this happen just for changing out a radiator...Please help

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
I had the radiator replaced but now I am smelling fumes inside of the cabin. Can anyone tell me what can be the cause of that. Can something like this happen just for changing out a radiator...Please help
Fumes escape from the boost hoses or turbo resonator or a crack in the intercooler, and make their way into the cabin *only* through the large water drain vent holes under the hood. For a quick immediate symptom fix, see my thread here and duct tape these holes temporarily: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52094

Until you can locate the cause of your leak. I suggest to remove both boost hoses and the resonator (turbo muffler), and the clamps from the hoses, and carefully inspect. If all is good, clean them up, put them back on good and tight, making sure to push the hose and clamp past the lip on the fitting. 2 hoses, a plastic teacup and an intercooler, that's where your problem lies. Oh yeah, or it could be injector seal leakage. Remove the top plastic cover of the engine and inspect for oily soot or bubbles when sprayed with soapy water.

Hi guys - thanks for the helpful info thus far on this. My radiator fan has come loose, after knowing I've had a bad fan clutch for a while. It came off and made a bunch of noise flopping around but thankfully didn't damage radiator. I'm wondering what the root cause of the fan coming loose is, is this just the fan clutch finally breaking altogether? Any objections to using a US Motor Works 22328 fan clutch replacement part off Amazon? If anyone who has done this would implore me to do any additional maintenance other than a coolant flush while I'm in there, such as what Nautamaran mentioned above, let me know. 2004 3500, 189k miles. I've done the serpentine belt within the past few years. Thanks!

3Play

There are other threads on this, you need to find a good clutch, even the dealer clutches are not performing up to spec.
so getting one is hit or miss. I got one 18 months ago from Euro SD and it was bad out of the box, but they are NOT warrantying them
because so many are bad. I am living with it for now, 215F is not uncommon in Az. during summer...
The one I removed actually was a bit better, but since I was replacing it, I laid it on it's side, which ruins it.
If you remove your shroud, you can modify it to 2 piece which saves a lot of work in the future, I posted pics i another thread....
If you find a good clutch, let us know where.....

Top Bottom