2007 Interstate, Tail Wag

weissbrewer

Just wanted to ask if anyone has had this experience. I picked up our 07 Interstate at Colonial Airstrem in NJ(great service btw) the other day. I drove from NH in our 07 Diesel Grand Cherokee (4400 #) and set it up to flat tow back thinking it would be no issue as it was under draw rating and only about 80# of T wt. I use a blue ox 10k tow bar, and brake buddy. It was a bit windy and am used to driving our 08 sprinter delivery van and my 40 foot diesel pusher as well as my ram pick up towing a race car trailer/air stream travel trailer in the wind so i was shocked when the tail started wgging the dog. The sprinter has firestones on it and the jeep had studded snows, any chance either of these would contribute to this? We made it six miles and we blew the heater core hose clamp, luckily the tech showed up with the fix or we would have started cannibalizing the jeep for clamp and coolant!

73shark

2011 AS Interstate (sold)
I didn't know there were places you could still run studs. :thinking:

On dry pavement at 60-70+ mph, I've heard that studded tires tend to ride on the studs with a corresponding loss of traction. Maybe that's what's happening. Just a thought.

wayneskid

I didn't know there were places you could still run studs. :thinking:

Most states (40) allow studs although some have seasonal restrictions. As far as I know, only ten states totally ban them.

On dry pavement at 60-70+ mph, I've heard that studded tires tend to ride on the studs with a corresponding loss of traction. Maybe that's what's happening. Just a thought.

I've driven on stud a lot over the last 36 years (in Alaska) and although I don't have studs on my Interstate, I can verify that they can make some vehicles feel different on dry pavement.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
The tail wag is a result of the weight in the trailer being too much behind the axels. If you have 80# tongue weight pulling 4400# this is the cause. Try to drive the Jeep forward so you have more like 400# tongue weight once attached.

weissbrewer

Actually the Jeep was being flat towed w/ blu ox alladin ie no tongue weight also using a brake buddy. The dealer put new tires on and after looking at them although they are e range only 225 where as my 08 sprinter delivery ven runs a 245 and they are firestones . Trying to figure out a brake controler solution now(no one offers a pigtail?) to be able to tow my enclosed aluminum trailer with the legends car/shifter kart in it and am a little trepeditious after flat towing with that behavior. I tow alot and the only time i ever experienced this was with too much tongue weight. I just dont always need my DP at 40 ft long when all i really need at the track is a shower/fridge the whole reason for buying a sprinter based rv. I am going to use an Andersen WDist hitch which should wrok w 350 lbs of tongue weight and a 4-4800 lb trailer in theory.

sailquik

weissbrewer,
OK, you need trailer wiring harness on the '07 Interstate...right?
Did this vehicle come equipped with the OEM (installed in Germany) trailer
towing package/wiring?
If so, you probably only need a connector and pins to hook up your brake
system as the wiring will already be there.
If it did not come with factory trailer wiring, then you can purchase the
factory harness from a Dodge or Freightliner dealer.
The factory harness (either OEM installed or install it yourself) is pretty
much the best way to go. Pricey....yeah!
But overall far less problematic in the long run.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you run the lights an brakes
when you were towing your Jeep?
Also, flat towing (all 4 wheels on the road) 4x4's with a towbar generally
offers some strange dynamics.
Does your Jeep have lockers on the front and rear differentials?
Roger

...The dealer put new tires on and after looking at them although they are e range only 225 where as my 08 sprinter delivery ven runs a 245 and they are firestones ....
There have been comments in tire discussions here that brand new tires can feel squirrely for a time. A search from the blue bar above would provide more information.

Maybe your symptoms are a combination of factors and not just one issue? New tires, tire pressures, (rear shocks, rear anti-sway??), new to the vehicle, etc... all adding up to the feeling. Could the studs on the towed vehicle cause it to skitter around a bit which would transfer to the Sprinter? Have fun. vic

Top Bottom