Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
pfflyer
 
pfflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McDonough, Ga
Posts: 3,884
Thanks: 1,157
Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Since this is turning into an unusually rational and calm discussion of this topic, I will add an additional point for completeness:
You did try to turn it though.
__________________
Full time cargo part time camper.
My convertible Sprinter http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39367
2013 long tall convertible crew van used for work now
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #22
TampaSteve
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 21
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Well, my results are in and its not pretty. I tried 3 weboost antennas temporarily mounted to my roof.

As I mentioned previously, in a rural area with a decent signal (5-10 Mbps), the weboost greatly increased the signal strength and “bars” while REDUCING the actual throughput by 50%.

Where I live in Florida its really hard to find an area with a poor Verizon signal, so I drove a few hours to a state park that is a perfect testing scenario. Poor unusable signal, yet not so poor as to be nonexistent and hopeless.

And the results are – the weboost failed completely. Again, it dramatically boasted the signal, but I still got zero data.

I am an engineer and a scientist, so I am puzzled by these results. While my engineering skills are definitely not in the area of cell signal processing, its not so hard to believe that the weboost could work. Its very large, heavy, and expensive, and should be able to out-perform a cell phone in some tasks, not to mention it uses a huge antenna mounted on the roof.

And the net (and even this post) has lots of anecdotal stories of impressive performance, including some that seem very through and analytical. So I am finding it hard to believe that its a sort of mass hysteria and imagination that these things work.

Still, most people believe in all sorts of things that are not actually true…

I am kind of kicking myself over one thing though. I didn’t really properly test voice and text, and because of the way cell service works, that will go over a different signal than data, although this is changing. And at one point one text did go through.

So I may return there shortly to test again on voice and text only, as even a small increase there would be a huge improvement, maybe even enough to convince me to mount the weboost anyway.

Its also possible that since I have only tested in 2 scenarios, the device works in others, and I guess its possible I just have a bad device.

So I am not really any closer to having an answer.
TampaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #23
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB
 
alichty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,861
Thanks: 239
Thanked 1,210 Times in 738 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaSteve View Post
Well, my results are in and its not pretty. I tried 3 weboost antennas temporarily mounted to my roof.

As I mentioned previously, in a rural area with a decent signal (5-10 Mbps), the weboost greatly increased the signal strength and “bars” while REDUCING the actual throughput by 50%.

Where I live in Florida its really hard to find an area with a poor Verizon signal, so I drove a few hours to a state park that is a perfect testing scenario. Poor unusable signal, yet not so poor as to be nonexistent and hopeless.

And the results are – the weboost failed completely. Again, it dramatically boasted the signal, but I still got zero data.

I am an engineer and a scientist, so I am puzzled by these results. While my engineering skills are definitely not in the area of cell signal processing, its not so hard to believe that the weboost could work. Its very large, heavy, and expensive, and should be able to out-perform a cell phone in some tasks, not to mention it uses a huge antenna mounted on the roof.

And the net (and even this post) has lots of anecdotal stories of impressive performance, including some that seem very through and analytical. So I am finding it hard to believe that its a sort of mass hysteria and imagination that these things work.

Still, most people believe in all sorts of things that are not actually true…

I am kind of kicking myself over one thing though. I didn’t really properly test voice and text, and because of the way cell service works, that will go over a different signal than data, although this is changing. And at one point one text did go through.

So I may return there shortly to test again on voice and text only, as even a small increase there would be a huge improvement, maybe even enough to convince me to mount the weboost anyway.

Its also possible that since I have only tested in 2 scenarios, the device works in others, and I guess its possible I just have a bad device.

So I am not really any closer to having an answer.

The problem is pretty basic and simple - the weBoost is simply amplifying a bad signal. It does not perform any form of signal regeneration. When installed weBoost transforms a bad signal into a more powerful bad signal but the signal isn't improved at all. I have one of these that I used all over the western states including areas with no cellular signal at all and at this point it is sitting on a shelf. I have been part of quite a number of threads on this topic in this forum and am firmly in the camp of using external MIMO antennae with Verizon hotspots.
__________________
Alan Lichty
2014 Unity TB
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
avanti (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #24
TampaSteve
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 21
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

I am reluctantly beginning to think you may be right, although its still hard to believe is so popular. Yes, I have been reading threads on MiMo antenna for quite a while, but haven't really seen any recent omni directional ones that are well reviewed. I have a Verizon 7730 as well so that was my fallback option if the weboost failed me.

It looks like a very expensive experiment at this point, but I knew that going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichty View Post
The problem is pretty basic and simple - the weBoost is simply amplifying a bad signal. It does not perform any form of signal regeneration. When installed weBoost transforms a bad signal into a more powerful bad signal but the signal isn't improved at all. I have one of these that I used all over the western states including areas with no cellular signal at all and at this point it is sitting on a shelf. I have been part of quite a number of threads on this topic in this forum and am firmly in the camp of using external MIMO antennae with Verizon hotspots.
TampaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaSteve View Post
I am reluctantly beginning to think you may be right, although its still hard to believe is so popular.
They are popular because they are easy to understand ("Amplify your cell signal". Who wouldn't want that?), and they SEEM to work because they instantly add bars. ...and you just spent all that money. ...and you put in all that effort to install them. ...and everybody on the Internet says they are great. ...and once in a while it really does help.

I have been in this denial mode each and every time I have tried a new generation of these devices. I have finally taken the time to do the actual research and now understand that they CAN'T do what everybody wants them to do, as alichty has explained above.
Quote:
Yes, I have been reading threads on MiMo antenna for quite a while, but haven't really seen any recent omni directional ones that are well reviewed.
This unit from AntennasPlus is omnidirectional, works well, and is very cost-effective:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...714#post444714

A decent MiMo setup is not difficult or expensive, and it can actually work.
__________________
--Pete
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (2500 T1N)
Now: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avanti For This Useful Post:
Klipstr (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
JoeyB
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 17
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
They are popular because they are easy to understand ("Amplify your cell signal". Who wouldn't want that?), and they SEEM to work because they instantly add bars. ...and you just spent all that money. ...and you put in all that effort to install them. ...and everybody on the Internet says they are great. ...and once in a while it really does help.

I have been in this denial mode each and every time I have tried a new generation of these devices. I have finally taken the time to do the actual research and now understand that they CAN'T do what everybody wants them to do, as alichty has explained above.

This unit from AntennasPlus is omnidirectional, works well, and is very cost-effective:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...714#post444714

A decent MiMo setup is not difficult or expensive, and it can actually work.
Hey, I just wanted to confirm that this is essentially just an antenna that plugs into the portable router? Seems pretty simple to setup if its mostly plug and play, any other steps/tips for setting one up? I think this is the route we will go since WeBoost seems to just repeat a weak signal.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #27
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Hey, I just wanted to confirm that this is essentially just an antenna that plugs into the portable router? Seems pretty simple to setup if its mostly plug and play, any other steps/tips for setting one up? I think this is the route we will go since WeBoost seems to just repeat a weak signal.
Yes, it is plug and play. A few things to note, though:
1) The antenna requires a ground plane, such as the top of your metal van. You can get the AntennasPlus unit in either magnetic or adhesive mounting. The number given is for magnetic.
2) There are TWO feeds, one for each of the two MiMo antennas.
3) You need a MiMo-capable hotspot. It will have two antenna plugs. However, just because a hotspot has two plugs, does NOT mean that it supports MiMo. Sometimes the antenna inputs are not supported. Check the specs.
4) The tiny coaxial jacks that are typically used on hotspots are somewhat fragile. They don't stand up well to frequent plugging and unplugging. If you just plug them in and leave them there, it is fine. But if your hotspot is playing dual duty, it can be problematic. That is why I designed and 3-D printed a docking station, as described in the linked thread.
5) If you buy directly from AntennasPlus, they will provide the right dongles to adapt to the correct connectors for your particular device. They are very helpful.
__________________
--Pete
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (2500 T1N)
Now: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avanti For This Useful Post:
JoeyB (04-22-2019)
Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM   #28
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
 
Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyattsville MD
Posts: 2,035
Thanks: 764
Thanked 924 Times in 495 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

Just chiming in because this trip has been so frustrating with cell strength. Near Seattle, all three of my Verizon devices showed strong signals:
Android Phone (Samsung)
Android Tablet (Asus)
Verizon Jetpack (MiFi)

Only the MiFi was good at data. So much so that I could stream movies non-stop for hours.

But when I headed East and got into the wild countryside, most still showed strong signals - but all three failed, repeatedly, with data. Worked fine for text and phone calls (on the phone, or while hotspotting). And this continued through Idaho and on into Montana. Back in Oregon at Pendleton - all is well, again. The Tablet has been the mpst reliable on this trip - usually it's the Jetpack.

The phone has oddly been the worst of all three on this entire trip.

I did buy those antennas for the Jetpack, but have not figured a way to get them up on the roof. And, as explained, the little connectors are damned fragile.

I have a perk through work with Unlimited Everything. I do not know what I will do when I hang up the spurs completely. One person I spoke with in Idaho claims the towers out here are just overwhelmed with too many Users.
__________________
Here's an old saying I just made up:
"The older a man gets, the more clearly he remembers things... that never really happened."
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #29
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
 
SSTraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 582
Thanked 1,313 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

If anyone remembers Turbopilot he just installed a premium system in his New Aire that may interest some, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/opti...rv-428943.html.
__________________
SSTraveler
2014 Unity Murphy Bed/2014 MB Chassis
SSTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #30
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
 
Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyattsville MD
Posts: 2,035
Thanks: 764
Thanked 924 Times in 495 Posts
Default Re: weBoost

I was just thinking about him! And wondering how his Newmar was working out. I will need to research his thread on this cell connection issue. I wonder if the type or brand of phone or device matters, too? Can they all reap the same benefits?
__________________
Here's an old saying I just made up:
"The older a man gets, the more clearly he remembers things... that never really happened."
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.