Westyfest West July 26

jamescook

In 2016, seven Westies gathered at an impromptu Westyfest with less than a week notice.

Rob invited us to his farm in southern Washington (north of Portland OR). He was a great host and we had a really good time.

This year, when we hit the PNW again, Rob offered to repeat the event. This time with a notice of 3 months.

As this location is more than 3000 miles away from Westyfest XII in Massachusetts, I don’t expect any problems. There are 5 weeks in between so it is possible to attend both events. We will do exactly that!

Ridgefield WA 98642 (maps)

Date
Friday July 26th 2019
To Sunday July 28th

Do you want to come? It will be fun!

Attachments

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
We will have dry camping available with a bathroom and shower available. Kids and grandkids are welcome, dogs not so much as the farm dog doesn't get along with other dogs. We have a funky solar heated farm pool and lots of stuff for kids to play with upstairs in the barn. I-5 traffic heading north in Portland is horrible on Fridays from 2 to 7 pm, I-205 can also be bad, google for best route or avoid it at those hours. For day trips the Columbia River Gorge is 1/2 hour away, ocean beaches 1 1/2 hour away, Mt. Hood and St. Helens volcano is 1 1/2 hours away. Oregon has no sales tax so if you are needing a set of batteries, solar panels etc. you can save some $.

RSVP to me at pearbaron@msn.com

limerence

Would be interested in attending except for the fact that we are expecting a new addition to the family mid July and the wife might not be so keen on the long drive. Would have been a good opportunity to talk to you about the area since we are thinking about moving to the Vancouver/Camas area in the future.

jamescook

just for your information. I have feedback from 15 Westy owners who want to come. Not everybody can promise that, but I'm confident, that there will be at least 10 vans.

Peter

sjm

Wish we could attend ---- especially given it is in our backyard. We are located 1 hour east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge which Rob mentions in his post and is really worth spending a couple days (at least) exploring as it is a wonderful part of the world.

Unfortunately, we are passing stewardship of our beloved Westy on to my sis who desperately wants one so she can enjoy her retirement and travel the country. Our family has put many miles/months on our Westy and although our boys are getting too big for the lower bunk, have wonderful memories. Have a great story about driving from the Badlands to Wisconsin with a dead alternator but, that is best over beers. Really worried we will be searching for another Westy in a few years time but, really love the fact we can help sis fulfill her dreams and enjoy this amazing country we all live in.

So, if some guy shows up for a day in a Tesla to just talk Westy's, that will be me - please don't throw me to the curb :o)

jujupang

Wish we could attend ---- especially given it is in our backyard. We are located 1 hour east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge which Rob mentions in his post and is really worth spending a couple days (at least) exploring as it is a wonderful part of the world.

Unfortunately, we are passing stewardship of our beloved Westy on to my sis who desperately wants one so she can enjoy her retirement and travel the country. Our family has put many miles/months on our Westy and although our boys are getting too big for the lower bunk, have wonderful memories. Have a great story about driving from the Badlands to Wisconsin with a dead alternator but, that is best over beers. Really worried we will be searching for another Westy in a few years time but, really love the fact we can help sis fulfill her dreams and enjoy this amazing country we all live in.

So, if some guy shows up for a day in a Tesla to just talk Westy's, that will be me - please don't throw me to the curb :o)

Zach Woods has shown up several times at Westyfest in NY in a Tesla, except in the beginning we pestered him with Tesla questions. This year he is hosting Westyfest over Labor Day weekend outside of Boston. He still has his Westy.

Juju

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Zach Woods has shown up several times at Westyfest in NY in a Tesla, except in the beginning we pestered him with Tesla questions. This year he is hosting Westyfest over Labor Day weekend outside of Boston. He still has his Westy.

Juju
If you can interrupt me when I am talking about my Tesla Model 3, you might even be able to ask a question about it. Test rides in a 1930 Ford Model A rumble seat and a 2018 Tesla Model 3 will be available.

Went to dinner with daughter and friend and I was the grumpy old guy until her friend asked about Tesla. Then I was chatting away, later realizing my daughter told her friend to ask about Tesla to get me to say anything.......

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
There will be a D.A.D Dr. A Diagnostic error code reader available, (Mercedes factory diagnostic), have your Westy confess it's sins and and make the error codes go away. Also a forklift platform so you can access your roof for maintenance or remove the AC unit if you are that brave. A Kayak rack for the side will also be for sale.

Rob Baur

luvwagn

Hii Rob, how severe is the dog situation? Our dog is doin better for travels, and would be on a leash... Would love to plan for this...

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Hii Rob, how severe is the dog situation? Our dog is doin better for travels, and would be on a leash... Would love to plan for this...
Unfortunately our rescue dog is very aggressive to other dogs, friendly with people. You would need to keep the dog in the vehicle when our dog is outside. We also have a fenced dog area you could use if your dog doesn't bark when left alone.

Rob

limerence

Wish I could join Rob. Our bundle of joy arrived on 7/2, mom and daughter are doing well. One of these days we'll make the drive up to visit. Was able to meet up with Peter and Barbara last week when they were in the bay area. Jealous of the good time you guys will have.

-John

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Here is the information for Westy Fest West III

How to get Westy Fest West:
From Oregon on the south, check Google maps directions or Waze to choose either I-5 through downtown Portland or I-205 to get to Washington. Traffic will be stop and go from 2:00 to 7:00 especially on I-5. Exit 9, Event Center is most direct exit, but there is a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert that will impact Washington I-5 exit 9 from 5 to 7 Friday evening so take the 134 street exit (#7A N bound on I-5, #36 N bound I-205, I-5 S bound take I-205 and exit #36) during that time and let your GPS guide you the rest of the way. Feel free to come anytime after noon to avoid traffic.

Address is 4402 NW 169th St. Ridgefield Wa 98642 (503 635 7873)
Turn right into driveway at the "Baurs Corner Farm" sign and head towards barn. Turn right before barn and circle the wagons in the lawn. We will have picnic tables and a fire pit in the center. We have a solar heated pool and a barn full of kid toys. A bathroom and shower are available.

There are RV dumps at Gee Creek rest stops both north and south on I-5 at mile post 11 with a return southbound at exit 13.

A D.A.D., (Doctor A. Diagnostic) Mercedes factory diagnostic system will be available to use. If you need access to your roof a forklift platform will be available. I have a surfboard/kayak rack for sale. Bring any parts you no longer want, someone else may want them. Interested in seeing all the mods and upgrades on the Westys.

Side day trips:
County Park nearby by on Columbia river https://www.clark.wa.gov/public-works/frenchmans-bar-regional-park
Scenic drive to oldest grist mill in Washington https://www.cedarcreekgristmill.com/ then winery with gourmet pizza http://moultonfallswinery.com/ and several waterfalls along the Lewis River.

Oregon has no sales tax, I got house batteries at Empire batteries a few years ago and they installed them for free at that time. http://www.empirebatteriesor.com/

Contact me at pearbaron@msn.com or 503 635 7873 if you have any questions.

Rob AKA Mr. Tomacco, it is a long story.... https://www.wired.com/2003/11/simpsons-plant-seeds-of-invention/

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I got several inquires about the kayak rack. It will be a pain to ship since it is 6 or 7 feet long. I made a rack that fits on the spare tire rack to carry the kayak. I made a mirror image tire rack for the other door since no one sells a passenger side tire rack and mount the second kayak there.

Attachments

We are relatively new Westy owners and have not had the opportunity to attend a Westyfest yet. We plan to attend at least one day, maybe longer. We live in Washington and look forward to meeting everyone! Nanis and Philip

Top Bottom