Trnsmission Leak?

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I have a 2018 4wd 170" sprinter with 5000 miles on it.

This has happened twice now. I back the sprinter up to the garage so that the side door is more accessible for loading camping gear. It sits for a day or two while we get everything ready. The driveway has a 3% slope to it (front wheels are about 6" lower than rear wheels. There is no problem at this point. The day we get ready to go, I start the van and go forward and backward to move it closer to the water hydrant to fill our water tanks. This takes about three forward/reverse shifts to get it in place. When I get out, there is red oily fluid under the front of the van (about 4 oz.) It appears to come from the transmission right above the front differential and half shaft on the passenger side. There is a cable or wire loom that enters the transmission at this point also. This is the only time this has happened. I just ran a scan with my Autel MD 808 Pro and no codes came up.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
It maybe that transmission fluid is coming from your 13 pin connector - this is often a source of transmission fluid leaks. Perhaps the nose down attitude puts just a little more pressure on the O rings to allow seepage. By year and mileage, you look to be within warranty - take it to your dealer and get it replaced. Or if you don't want to take the time, replacing it yourself is fairly straight forward.

D

Deleted member 50714

If it turns into a gusher, torque converter seal.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I have an appointment with the Dealer on Thursday. We will see what he says but after more research I do suspect the 13 pin connector.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
Took it to the dealer. He says it was a case of the factory overfilling the transmission and the excess would leak out from the vent not the 13 pin connector. He said they did clean the 13 pin connector of oil to prevent false signals.

Top Bottom