5 Scams Your Car Mechanic Doesn’t Want You to Know

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

lindenengineering

And
Then there's the American Medical Profession.

As an old school chum who I sat beside at school & became a medical pathologist (now retired) his oft exclamation was beware of American :censored: doctors those B@st@rds will kill you.

Go on YouTube like Bob, and there are scores of "Doctor Beware" horror stories some can be fatal.:thumbdown:
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

And
Then there's the American Medical Profession.

As an old school chum who I sat beside at school & became a medical pathologist (now retired) his oft exclamation was beware of American :censored: doctors those B@st@rds will kill you.

Go on YouTube like Bob, and there are scores of "Doctor Beware" horror stories some can be fatal.:thumbdown:
Dennis
My wife was nearly killed by an incompetent/negligent doctor...quack.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
My son has gotten me into watching Scotty -- what a hoot; he's hilarious. Nice replacement for the "retired" Click & Clack!

My very first effort at teaching was with a group of high-performing kids from Carmel, Bob, an after-school "enrichment" program. We used NPG facilities in Monterey.

Subject matter was a bit out there for both the program (Carmel Lyceum) and the kids, compared to what the usual offerings were -- title was "How To Communicate With The 4-Wheeled Machine And Vice-Versa." Sub-title was "Learn enough to avoid being ripped off."

Kids --and several of their parents-- loved it! 'Course, this was in 1975 when cars were a lot simpler.... but the justification remains the same: too many people out there trying to separate you from your money. Really enjoyed teaching that class.

showkey

When Scotty says the dealer does not make money on warranty or recalls..........he not telling the whole story.

Most if not all states have dealer laws that stipulate the factory reimbursement rates. The rates for labor reimbursement is often the posted customer hourly rate. Customer pays $125 factory pays $125/ hour. Reimbursement rate for parts is cost plus 10-25%. Dealers regularly sell wholesale at cost plus a % to the regular repair shops. Internet parts are often cost plus 25% in some markets.

Warranty and recall flat rate time can sometimes be low .........but..........technicians regularly beat the times once the learn the procedure.

Plus recalls do have the up-sell potentials .......recall on the fuel system.........fair game ( not fraud) to point out the vehicle needs tires and brakes.

lindenengineering

Well there is some truth in this and then there is some additional facts.

Since we are speaking speaking MB language here and the most active warranty re-call at the moment are SRS air bags.
Sprinter factory warranty time allowance for the driver side air bag is 0,4 hours.
The passenger side is 1,1 hours.

If you think the tech doing this job is making any money try it yourself as an exercise. Some MB shops are doing about 30 vans a week on this little job alone at the moment .

Now as to reimbursement rates these are confidential and part of a warranty support agreement between the dealer and the factory. Currently these are about 75% of basic shop billing rate.
If I do a Jasper warranty repair its less than that!
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

The more a person performs a redundant task, such as air bag replacement, they will become more proficient requiring less time to complete the task.

When Scotty says they don't make money on warranty work, he meant they don't make a "a killing" like up-selling unnecessary work. Someone one this forum said Dealership service departments are "Lemon Factories." I agree most are.

BrettH

Well there is some truth in this and then there is some additional facts.

Since we are speaking speaking MB language here and the most active warranty re-call at the moment are SRS air bags.
Sprinter factory warranty time allowance for the driver side air bag is 0,4 hours.
The passenger side is 1,1 hours.
My eyebrows raised at the statement about not making anything on recalls too.

...and in that .4 hours or 1.1 hours, the tech has to go find the vehicle and drive it into their bay, go to the parts dept. and get the parts, etc. Back in the 90's I was a tech at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer, so naturally there were always lots of recalls. There were some recalls where we made a lot of money (Jeep shift interlock comes to mind, and not the one that was in the news a few years ago), others that we didn't (Dodge Caravan rear hatch latch).

showkey

If anybody cares to learn more there are consultants and lawyers that specialize in warranty reimbursement. This whole process only applies to vehicle manufacturers and their dealers. Just because the dealer publishes a shop labor rate dos not mean the factory pays the published rate. The basics of the laws are a verified hourly labor rate. There is often an audit of customer paid invoices to see what the actual labor rate is. Same for parts.......but many manufacturers already pay msrp list parts reimbursement. So it’s rarely disputed.

http://www.warrantypart.com/?gclid=...vAaegGOuN0p9nBQ__Im7ReclZhfMctzcaAjatEALw_wcB

As for those air bags recalls........dealers are not using high paid top tier technicians to complete the recalls. A supervised novice becomes an “expert” in about week. The organized dealers have the parts in the vehicle before the car is staged. The air bags are controlled parts.....vin and air bag serial numbers must verified and maintained. Yes.....the paper work can take longer than the actual repair. Dealer is paid for the admin fee as well plus air bag return shipping.

Last edited:

My eyebrows raised at the statement about not making anything on recalls too.

...and in that .4 hours or 1.1 hours, the tech has to go find the vehicle and drive it into their bay, go to the parts dept. and get the parts, etc. Back in the 90's I was a tech at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer, so naturally there were always lots of recalls. There were some recalls where we made a lot of money (Jeep shift interlock comes to mind, and not the one that was in the news a few years ago), others that we didn't (Dodge Caravan rear hatch latch).
Yep.
Not to mention that on older vehicles the Flat Rate Manual doesn't allow for rusted parts on older model road salt area repairs. I suppose their answer is that it should be junked anyway. My road salt 2004 would be a good example.

The 5 Scams video wasn't bad. I've watched a few of Scotty's other videos. He's obviously very knowledgeable, but he often just wears me down. Honesty in any profession is worth paying a bit more for.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom