Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
bigmill

Default Yellow triangle lamp during left turns.

When I make left turns in my 2004 T1N such as in a roundabout or on switchbacks in the mountains I am increasingly getting the yellow triangle ASR or ESP lamp on my instrument panel and feeling a slight tug to the right. This used to happen occasionally but is getting to be more annoying and is starting to occur on fairly normal left turns.

I have talked to a few people who know Sprinters and they think I may have a Yaw/Lateral Acceleration sensor going bad. My initial thought was, "OK, I'll just throw in a new one and see if that takes care of it". Well, the dang things cost $900ish.

Couple questions;

Why does my owners manual call the light "ASR warning lamp or ESP warning lamp" and what is the difference?

Both Mercedes and Dodge show 2 different part numbers (MB A0025426618 and A002542661805 and Dodge 05120342AA and 05120342AB). Are these the original part and an improved version?

Any advice before I buy a new one and any advice where I can get the best price?

Last edited by bigmill; 04-17-2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: add year
bigmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Nautamaran
2004 140 SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,054 Times in 757 Posts
Default Re: Yellow triangle lamp during left turns.

ASR is a German acronym for the traction control system (roughly “engine slip regulation”), and reacts to rear wheel spin by cutting engine power and applying brakes to the spinning wheel.
ESP is the Electronic Stability Program, and monitors the vehicle’s yaw rate (turning) and lateral acceleration and applies wheel brakes to counter any sudden changes due to events like an oversteer in cornering or the rear end skidding out. The system may cut power and/or apply individual wheel brakes to correct the undesired motion and bring the vehicle back under control.

My ASR commonly intervenes during launches on snow covered or soft roads.
My ESP will kick in occasionally if I hit the throttle to hard at the apex of a curved on-ramp and hit a puddle or a slippery patch.

I have nothing to offer in terms of locating replacement sensors, but I certainly wouldn’t let anyone shotgun new parts at it on a guess. Simpler issues like the steering angle sensor calibration can also be the cause of problems and I would ask for evidence of the cause before agreeing to any work. I would expect the yaw sensor can be monitored by a capable diagnostic tool.

-dave

Last edited by Nautamaran; 04-17-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
bigmill (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,366 Times in 962 Posts

Bigmill,

I would not shotgun this repair by throwing parts at it! You need to watch live data from the ASR/ESP system to find the cause of the warning light.

I would start by watching live data for wheel speeds whilst cornering, it is likely you have a wheel speed sensor giving false data.

Out of curiosity are your tyres all the same make, size and in a similar state of wear? And when did you last check your tyre pressures? There was a recent posting where the OP had low pressure in one tyre which triggered the same warning! (This is actually how basic TPMS works).

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
bigmill (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 5,478 Times in 3,433 Posts

I would jack the front left wheel and check the wheel bearing for play. I would also reseat the wheel speed sensor on that side as well. If that does not solve it, move on to live data monitoring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
bigmill (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
NelsonSprinter
Former Nelson BC Sprinter

Thanked 1,058 Times in 822 Posts

Do you have 2 differently sized or worn tires on the rear? That will make it happen , especially in turns

'02-'03 Fuel filter leak fix http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...ix+fuel+filter
15" tire options http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...t=tire+options
NelsonSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NelsonSprinter For This Useful Post:
bigmill (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #6
bigmill

I guess I should have mentioned it has a White Feather 4x4 conversion from about 4-5 years ago so it has F-350 front end parts but it didn't do this before.

to Keith (Cheyenne), how would one watch live data from the ASR/ESP system for wheel speeds whilst cornering?

to Midwestdrifter, I just had the tie rod ends and front brakes done and everything up front is tight but I had the problem before.

to Keith and NelsonSprinter, the tires are all the same make and size and inflated properly, the rears are almost new at 90% tread and the fronts are a few years old at about 65% tread. rears match and fronts match.

thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,366 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmill View Post

...to Keith (Cheyenne), how would one watch live data from the ASR/ESP system for wheel speeds whilst cornering?

thanks
You need a Sprinter specific scanner able to communicate with the ASR/ESP system. Basic OBDII scanners such as you find in many parts stores can only communicate with the Engine ECU.

Suitable scanners, such as the Autel MD802, MD808 or iCarSoft MBII, are mentioned in the Scanner sub forum of Sprinter Talk... https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=205

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote