Introducing my T1N 316 4x4 :) and her first trip

rpo83

I have just arrived home... well 2pm from collecting my new Sprinter.

The deal was done over the phone, always a tough thing to do, but i was confident enough from talking to the seller to commit to buying the Sprinter, and drive her home 2,000 k's.

She is a 2002 MWB 316 4X4, 250,000 on the clock, a great service history... Just the right combination for me to jump into Sprinter ownership.

I flew to Brisbane on Thursday night with a pocket full of cash, i met the seller Friday morning, we ran around cancelling registration and applying for an unregistered vehicle permit, then at 10:40am i was on the road for my 2,000 k drive home to Melbourne.

The weather in Brisbane and the Gold Coast Friday morning was WET!, and the M1 freeway heading south to Coolangatta was horendous, the last 30 k's to Coolangatta to over an hour! Once that congestion cleared it was a great run South...

That was until i got to Woodburn, i noticed i was chewing through diesel at an unexpected rate, investigation found the fuel filter leaking!!! Numerous posts on FB and Private Messages brought no real answer to the source of the leak, as it was Friday Afternoon, i decided i'd better find a diesel mechanic who could take a look at it for me. I found Diesel Repairs Grafton on the web, so i set the GPS and headed to Grafton. I arrived about 20 minutes before they shut for the weekend, they had a look, they were confident it just needed a new filter, so one was ordered and i crossed my fingers. The filter arrived about 15 minutes after closing time, but the workshop manager assured me he wouldn't leave me stranded...

The guys went above and beyond, we were there until 6:30pm.... starting it after fitting the new filter was a right pain... I was on the net, trying to find info, they were doing all the usual stuff they do, but she refused to fire... it was dark by now and we'd lost a lot of time, it was decided to pressurise the fuel tank with the compressor to help the fuel pump, so we pushed the sprinter across the yard and fired up the compresor, 30 seconds later, she was running.. Now i have to learn the correct way to bleed these fuel systems...

I drove to a local wash bay and degreased the engine and underbody, then hit the road. I still had over 1,500 k's to travel to get home... The plan was to drive to Coff's Harbour, get out and check for leaks, if all was well, i'd fuel up both the sprinter and myself and then get through Sydney before stopping for a quick snooze.

At Coffs all was good, so with both of us fuelled, we headed south at 8pm hopefully to cover lots of k's without problem. The Sprinter performed great, the temp gauge seemed glued to 80 degrees, the only gauge that moved was the fuel gauge. At just after 2am i pulled into Pheasant's Nest for a couple of hours sleep, i quickly discovered what a horrendous vehicle they are to try and sleep in... well my ambulance at least... the roll cage prevents the front seats from reclining, the rear seats are fixed... i really should have asked for a stretcher to be included (they told me they were worth $1,500 second hand) Finally i had to settle on resing my head on the steel door frame of the drivers door, with my body across the solid fibreglass centre console and my feey on the passenger seat.. it was not very successful, but i managed about an hour of sleep. At 5am i was awake and sore, so decided to get moving. I fueled up, $120 for 570 k's!! This thing drinks more fuel than my XR6 Turbo!!!

A decent breakfast was needed, so i decided Holbrook would be my breakfast destination, after just under 4 hours of trouble free motoring i pulled into Holbrook for some well needed breakfast... a rare luxury for me, i used to drive semi's interstate in the 1990's, so once i start moving i am reluctant to stop.. A quick walk around the sprinter in daylight, and everything looked great.

My last fuel stop was BP Glenrowan, another $120 for 560K's... i was hoping it was the fuel leak causing the poor fuel economy, obviously it wasn't... as this is my first sprinter, i'll be asking you guys what may be the problem... i was sitting on 110-112 KPH GPS for the trip...

I drove home through bonnie doon and finally walked in the door at 2pm. so our maiden voyage was 1,800 k's in 28 hours. So, after the first trip here are my thoughts..

Fuel consumption!! I didn't expect it to be so bad, my old Discovery with a 2.5 diesel got 10L/100K and it has similar aero.. (that of a brick) I'd guess the Disco weigh's in heavier and has similar mechanical drag due to 4 wheel drive..

I couldn't get any of the climate control systems to work, so i need to learn more about these to see if it was simply operator error..

NVH!!!!! I have driven some of the worst vehcles on the planet for NVH, cab over K100 Kenworth, i think the Sprinter would give it a run for it's money, everything rattled, and there was a weird resonance that repeated along the length of the body... Now to be fair to the poor Sprinter, i blame 90% of the issue to the tyres, it is running some mud pattern Yokohama's (i think, i looked at them briefly during the trip, but right now after writing this, i'm going to catch a few z's.. so i'll confirm later) These tyres are the worst i've ever experienced, and i have had Simex Centipedes on my 4X4's! Running my had over the tread blocks, i noticed that they are cupped, so first thing will be new wheels and tyres. All the cabinet doors rattle, this is an easy fix..

The last problem and the biggest one for me, and if i decide to keep the sprinter depends on this one thing... the throttle pedal... I have never driven a more uncomfortable vehicle than my Sprinter, what the hell were Mercedes thinking with the shape of the floorpan around the pedal! It is horrendous. Now again i'm hoping the problem really was the fact that the drivers seat is broken, it looks like the cables that allow the squab tilt and cushion slide are broken, so i couldn't set the seat up correctly, it also has suspension seats, that i was looking forward to, but they seem locked.. so further investigation is needed..

I am hoping that by fixing the seats and replacing the tyres will solve most of my complaints.

I'm off to bed for a quick power nap, but i wanted to share my experience, i'm really looking forward to sorting her out, i have high hopes...

Here she is when i picked her up yesterday morning... she looks great, and i can't believe how high she sits.... I'll be back in a few hours... i have much to learn, and thanks guys for giving me the inspiration to buy a Sprinter :)

Attachments

Eric Experience

Steve.
You have the basics of a very good vehicle. With lots of work you will get it to run smooth and get very good economy. Eric.

jaahn

Hi Steve :rolleyes:
Good story. Thanks for that. Might be the start of a story telling career for all the work that Eric says you will do.:idunno:

With regard to this bit :"The last problem and the biggest one for me, and if i decide to keep the sprinter depends on this one thing... the throttle pedal... I have never driven a more uncomfortable vehicle than my Sprinter, what the hell were Mercedes thinking with the shape of the floorpan around the pedal! It is horrendous."
I did a fix for mine because it so ****. I will find the writeup if you like. Every Sprinter I have seen has had a bodgy fix of some sort so you are not alone. It is not the seat.

As for the fuel consumption, might I suggest you are driving a big square box too fast.:thumbup:
Cheers jaahn

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
Welcome to the Sprinter ownership clan, I expect your vehicle came from the mining industry with a roll bar and it looks like a clean well looked after unit.

I would not expect too big of an improvement in fuel consumption for a 3.5 tonne 160hp 4x4 vehicle, $120 @ say $1.50 per is 80 litres and that is 14.2 l/100 over 560klm with a larger tank than mine presumably for a reason.

My 313 3 .5 tonne 130hp gives around 12 around town and on the highway rarely beats 10 but then mine is a long wheelbase 2 wheel drive.

Last edited:

Aussie 2002 4x4

yeah, the floor to pedal gap is all wrong...building the floor up worked for me - i was insulating with some eggbox foam so i put a bit extra where my heal goes...thousands of ache free kms since :)

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I just use cruise control all the time, so I dont notice anything wrong with the pedal.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
...it also has suspension seats, that i was looking forward to, but they seem locked.. so further investigation is needed..
There is a lever on the front of the suspension seats which locks the up/down movement. It is a short, stubby lever with a quarter turn action. You may have to ease the weight off the seat to allow it to turn. From memory it locks in the highest position. You also need to dial in your weight in kilograms on the large wheel on the side of the seat for optimum suspension benefits.

Keith.

rpo83

There is a lever on the front of the suspension seats which locks the up/down movement. It is a short, stubby lever with a quarter turn action. You may have to ease the weight off the seat to allow it to turn. From memory it locks in the highest position. You also need to dial in your weight in kilograms on the large wheel on the side of the seat for optimum suspension benefits.

Keith.
Thanks Keith,

i had dialed in my weight, but the suspension was solid in the down position... I have spent a few hours this morning tinkering, i've removed the stretcher fittings, removed one cabinet and sorted the seat out, it is missing the tilt handle on the drivers side, so i'll have to try and source one from somewhere... When i get time, i'll probably remove both seats and give them a thorough clean and lube, i have a pair of recaro seats here, and would love to fit them to the suspension bases, i'm not sure it is doable but i'll have a look...

Thanks for your answer..

rpo83

I have spent a few hours stripping some stuff out of the sprinter...

Yesterday the rear looked like this..

This morning there is a little less clutter

I also removed the acoustic cover to check for black death, she looks great...

Do any of you guys run without the cover? I don't see any real reason to put it back..

The last big decision i need to make is whether i keep the roll cage or cut it out.. It fouls the front seats, limiting their position, and as i found it so uncomfortable on the drive home, i may just remove it...

rpo83

Thanks Jaahn,

I'll go read your thread.

I have just logged out and as a visitor i could see them, you may have to refresh the page..

Aussie 2002 4x4

yeah, I would remove the rollbar...especially that rear section. ah, those cupboards look familiar..expect to find some 'additional' wiring in that lot

Attachments

owner

Wow that engine top looks filthy and some corrosion there too. Ive never seen one that bad.. Your van must have seen a lot of dust/dirt roads. Mine has done 430k and you couod eat off the engine top under that cover.

Have you lifted the step covers to see if theres any rust? I'd be doing that next given the condition of the engine. Also check your engine and cabin air filter.

rpo83

Wow that engine top looks filthy and some corrosion there too. Ive never seen one that bad.. Your van must have seen a lot of dust/dirt roads. Mine has done 430k and you couod eat off the engine top under that cover.

Have you lifted the step covers to see if theres any rust? I'd be doing that next given the condition of the engine. Also check your engine and cabin air filter.
I was just happy that there was no evidence of black death...

It was used as a mine ambulance for the last 6 years, so it has seen its fair share of dust. The body looks very good, i have a feeling it may have been garaged most of it's life.. I haven't removed the step covers yet, there is checker plate over the main door, and the other door where the oxygen was stored, requires a lot of paraphernalia to be removed to get to the cover.

owner

The front steps will be a good indication of what the side steps will be like. The reason for concern is that these mine vehicles are regularly hosed down with salty water at the mines. And that corrosion on your engine cam cover suggests its seen some.

rpo83

I removed the step today, well i partially lifted it, the roll cage limits the step from being lifted! I firstly had to remove the checker plate to get to the screws, then i started removing all the aluminium dress trims on the floor to figure out what else may need removing. I think the cage will be removed, long term i can just seeing it getting in the way.

No evidence of rust, just some dust, pebbles, nylocks and cable ties. So that has all been removed and the step refitted.

Looking at the catch, there is a spring loaded pivoting lever that looks slightly bent, or the catch outer is bent, i'm not sure... Can anyone shed some light on if this catch looks damaged?

Started by removing the checker plate.

Roll cage fouling the step.

Only dust, small rocks, screws, cable ties and nylocks, no rust..

Rear catch bent lever??

Looking at the lever pivot..

Top Bottom