New head unit advice

ackbar

Good evening all.

I have a 2018, factory stereo, and I am looking to potentially upgrade, and I have just started to do some research, and was potentially looking at the alpine halo 9, or the iLX-107 (or something similar).

I would like something essentially as close to plug and play as possible, and would like to have everything that works now in my van, like the steering wheel controls, back up camera, usb,, etc to work as advertised. I know crutchfield has all the necessary components needed, but I thought I would ask the forums advice as to anyone who has done this; is this all I am needing?

Also, I was curious; I noticed most head units come with a microphone for hands free, does the oem microphone not attached directly?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,

Bikes!

Just did this on my 2018. Went with a Kenwood DDX9705s plus all JBL 6500c speakers using Hein’s adapters for the fronts. Everything works like factory except song info is not displayed by the speedometer anymore. I did have to use the new mic as the existing didn’t work. Ran it up the a pillar and back to the stock location. Also ran SiriusXM to the roof. Stock usb plug works (now with car play) plus have a 2nd usb. Backup camera is automatic. Steering wheels controls work. Went through Crutchfield.

Attachments

Last edited:

ackbar

Just did this on my 2018. Went with a Kenwood DDX9705s plus all JBL 6500c speakers using Hein’s adapters for the fronts. Everything works like factory except song info is not displayed by the speedometer anymore. I did have to use the new mic as the existing didn’t work. Ran it up the a pillar and back to the stock location. Also ran SiriusXM to the roof. Stock usb plug works (now with car play) plus have a 2nd usb. Backup camera is automatic. Steering wheels controls work. Went through Crutchfield.

Looks great! Really appreciate the reply! Everything needed for the install, came thru crutchfield? nothing else needed?

Bikes!

Looks great! Really appreciate the reply! Everything needed for the install, came thru crutchfield? nothing else needed?
Thanks! Other than normal tools and trim removal tools, the Crutchfield install kit came with everything. You can even pay $25 for them to wire the adapter for you if you don't want to take the time splicing wires together. Their instructions were ok- I did have to call them twice just for clarification on connecting wires. If you wanted to add larger speakers to the doors, you do need to purchase the adapters on ebay from Hein. Otherwise slightly smaller speakers will fit (as indicated on Crutchfield's website).

I like that huge 9" screen JFloFoto! Fills up the dash nicely.

SpamVan

I have the Halo9 and it's been incredible after 27k miles and 9 months on the road. Google Maps+Waze+Podcasts, all with a big screen, and voice control?
Can't get the HDMI input to work, but otherwise it's been rock solid.

ackbar

I have the Halo9 and it's been incredible after 27k miles and 9 months on the road. Google Maps+Waze+Podcasts, all with a big screen, and voice control?
Can't get the HDMI input to work, but otherwise it's been rock solid.
Thanks! Thats what I have been looking at, really loving the look of it.

Silveringot

8 Grit Sandpaper
I installed the iLX-107 Alpine with Echomaster turn signal cameras, have been an Alpine fan for a while and the OEM unit is an alpine. Also used a couple Alpine amps and component speakers to finish it off. But my build revolved around a 28" dropdown TV for the rear passengers. The iLX can also be paired with KAC-001 to control other electronics, but I found that it was redundant and I like switches more than controlling fog lights/winch through a head unit. Most crazy was adding the Alpine PXA-H800 with RUX-C800 controller mounted in lower DIN space with custom 3d printed spacer for a flush fit. With so many listening/viewing zones to try and level sound out, it took lots of trials.

ForWorkAndPlay

2008 144 OBERAIGNER 4x4

Attachments

lruss

Thanks to JFlo's post and the reviews on Amazon, im installing the Xtron today/tomorrow and will report back, at first glance it looks like i didnt need to order the install kit from crutchfield as the Xtron came in with a bunch of connectors

Attachments

lruss

Very pleased, everything in the box for install including cambus communicator , cheapest $300 ill do on the sprinter i bet. 20 minutes to install, started right up and everthing worked.

Attachments

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
Thanks for the pics guys. I just picked up a Halo9 yesterday! Along with (cough cough) a bunch of expensive Focal DSP sh*t. Dammit Im such a sucker for my music...

I *plan* to use the top DIN and set the screen up high, even though it will obscure the dash storage hatch. I have a LOT of classic DVD movies, so Im thinking of getting the Alpine DVD player to put in the bottom DIN.

ForWorkAndPlay how do you prevent that hydroflask from falling out of the drink holder??

klompen

Would love some more info on this system. Looking at the Xtron site (https://xtrons.com/made-model-year.html?find=mercedes-benz-sprinter--w906--6048&sid=eqLjzMl1Dr) I wonder about the different Android versions as well as about the controls. Seeing all those buttons makes me wonder if you still have to navigate using the same kind of cumbersome maneuvers that the stock radio requires. I see that it is touch-screen so I may have answered my own question on that, but I'd still like to know more.

klompen

https://youtu.be/7G7s012chw0

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

So, it looks like this is what you purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...68a917d5900&pf_rd_r=3BCADHR0NK9DA7YD610R&th=1

Unlike the Kenwood that someone mentioned, this unit apparently does not support playing CDs, but it looks like it would make it very easy to play music that is stored on a phone, USB stick, or perhaps an external USB hard drive so that probably works out.

You mentioned an optional connection kit, but it seems that you did not need it. Would you mind putting up a list of exactly what you purchased? Your tip about getting their vehicle dongle is appreciated.

Top Bottom