Fuel injector hold down bolt repair / Time-serts

2004newbie

Here is my experience with fixing a broken injector hold down bolt.
I was experiencing a heavy diesel smell in the cabin. I have a 2004 t1n 3500. I didnt realize I had a leaky injector until there was a cuffing sound coming from the engine one morning. Once inspected I knew it right away and began researching the fix.
Plan was replace the injector seal only and see if that did the trick. After lots of picking and cleaning with oven cleaner and carb cleaner I began the process.
PBS blaster in the well, listened the hold down bolt and drove a few miles to pop it.
The pop isnt noticable by more diesel smell, loss of power ect. I began wiggling it out very very very carefully wedging with a big screw driver. Used a small tire iron with a curved lip end to pry it upward, tapping with hammer and hand. I could only get Iit under part of the large hex assembly so being gentle as can be. This is a stressful operation for the first time because you dont know what to expect and dont want to break anything creating more problems and more money. Take time and except your in for the long haul.
The injector came out after prying upward. Very good and cakes with hardened cooked diesel.
Lots of carb cleaner, oven cleaner and carefull scrubbing to get it clean again.
The seal had the little channel from the failure where diesel was leaking.
ID Parts is great for ordering.
The seal replacement kit is simple. Bolts, seals, o rings for leak backline on top of injectors. Clean and clean and clean. Vacuum with little hose extension (duck taped ) and straws help. Get out all the crap. I used little squares of 3m pads and a long 12 inch drill bit to help clean the injector hol and bolt hole. Bolt hole is the hardest because you cant see un there very good.
Go the extra 2 miles if you can when cleaning it all out.
All cleaned. Injector cleaned. I used anti sieze on injector and a little bit on the seal to make it stick when installing it back in. Now, Hold down bolt went in great. Tightened it without torque wrench. I was excited to get it running and didnt wait to go get a torque wrench and broke off theb. What a idiot. Cant believe how stupid i am.
So I ordered time sert and read how the other guy on the forum fixed his broken bolt.
I flowed his brass tube technique to a T. The tubes are good for a drill guide. But can be donewithout.
I drilled out the old bolt ( about 3/4 inch ). I didnt want to get to close to the very bottom so I left a 2 to 3 mm at the bottom un bored. Tapped the hole, screwed in the time-sert. Not over tightening, and following directions very closely. Time-sert in. I watch a video of a guy doing them on a engine block for a new head to see howdonit's done. He was informative and it's just reassuring to see it done with your own eyes ya know.
Re installed injector and bolt. Did not over tighten bolt. I probably under tighten bolt. 7nm with torque but got scared when torquing because i believe it was tight and stretched so I backed off before torque wrench clicked. I'm good with it and feel its tight.
I did not get the new tap hole drilled exactly center but it's working and think ok.it's ok. Getting the tap started took a little tap with a hammer and then it took.
Be organized with yourself. Take extra time double checking how far your drilling hole ect. Triple check and be sure. Blowing through it would be the worst case ever.
Injector isworking. No more chuffing and no more smell in the cabin. The whole repair was stressful for me but I think it better to be overly careful and worry to do it right the first time. I cant believe I broke the boat but I have the time-serts and experience now for what its worth. Doing the next injector when i comes time will be different. Thanks to all who post on here, it's been so valuable and I'm grateful so here's is my experience. Cheers.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Please provide a link to the video you said helped with your confidence.

:cheers: vic

2004newbie

I was experiencing a heavy diesel smell in the cabin. I have a 2004 t1n 3500. I didnt realize I had a leaky injector until there was a chuffing sound coming from the engine one morning. Once inspected I knew it right away and began researching the fix.
Plan was replace the injector seal only and see if that did the trick. After lots of picking and cleaning with oven cleaner and carb cleaner I began the process.
PBS blaster in the well, loosend the hold down bolt and drove a few miles to pop it.
The pop is noticable by more diesel smell, loss of power ect. I began wiggling it out very very very carefully wedging with a big screw driver. Goin against advice on the forum but being extremely patient and carefull. Used a small tire iron with a curved lip end to pry it upward, tapping with hammer and hand. I could only get the lip under part of the large hex assembly so being gentle as can be. This is a stressful operation for the first time because you dont know what to expect and dont want to break anything creating more problems and more money. Take time and except your in for the long haul.
The injector came out after prying upward. Very good and cakes with hardened cooked diesel.
Lots of carb cleaner, oven cleaner and carefull scrubbing to get it clean again.
The seal replacement kit is simple. Bolts, seals, o rings for fuel return line on top of injectors. Clean and clean and clean. Vacuum with little hose extension (duck taped ) and straws help. Get out all the crap. I used little squares of 3m pads and a long 12 inch drill bit to help clean the injector hol and bolt hole. Tje drill bit grabs the 3m pad pieces and spins them around. Bolt hole is the hardest because you cant see in there very good.
All cleaned. Injector cleaned. I used anti sieze on injector and a little bit on the seal to make it stick when installing it back in. Now, Hold down bolt went in great. Tightened it without torque wrench. I was excited to get it running and didnt wait to go get a torque wrench and broke off the bolt. What a idiot. Cant believe how stupid i am.
So I ordered Time-Serts and read how the other guy on the forum fixed his broken bolt.
I flowed his brass tube technique to a T. The tubes are good for a drill guide. But can be donewithout.
I drilled out the old bolt ( about 3/4 inch ). I didnt want to get to close to the very bottom so I left a 2 to 3 mm at the bottom un bored. Tapped the hole, screwed in the time-sert. Not over tightening, and following directions very closely. Time-sert in. I watch a video of a guy doing them on a engine block for a new head to see how its done. He was informative and it's just reassuring to see it done with your own eyes ya know.
Re installed injector and bolt. Did not over tighten bolt. I probably under tighten bolt. 7nm with torque but got scared when torquing because i believe it was tight and stretched so I backed off before torque wrench clicked. I'm good with it and feel its tight.
I did not get the new tap hole drilled exactly center but it's working and think it's ok. Getting the tap started took a little tap with a hammer and then it took.
Be organized with yourself. Take extra time double checking how far your drilling hole ect. Triple check and be sure. Blowing through it would be the worst case ever.
Injector is working. No more chuffing and no more smell in the cabin. The whole repair was stressful for me but I think its better to be overly careful and worry to do it right the first time. I cant believe I broke the bolt off in the first place, but now I have the Time-Serts and experience for what its worth. Doing the next injector when it comes time will be different. Thanks to all who post on here, it's been so valuable and I'm grateful so here's is my experience. Cheers.
Here is the video that was helpfull.

https://youtu.be/LTjH4UEb1y4

How to install Time Serts by Robert DIY.

omarfadasi

I was experiencing a heavy diesel smell in the cabin. I have a 2004 t1n 3500. I didnt realize I had a leaky injector until there was a cuffing sound coming from the engine one morning. Once inspected I knew it right away and began researching the fix.
PBS blaster in the well, listened the hold down bolt and drove a few miles to pop it.
The pop isnt noticable by more diesel smell, loss of power ect. I began wiggling it out very very very carefully wedging with a big screw driver. Used a small tire iron with a curved lip end to pry it upward, tapping with hammer and hand. I could only get Iit under part of the large hex assembly so being gentle as can be. This is a stressful operation for the first time because you dont know what to expect and dont want to break anything creating more problems and more money. Take time and except your in for the long haul.
The seal replacement kit is simple. Bolts, seals, o rings for leak backline on top of injectors. Clean and clean and clean. Vacuum with little hose extension (duck taped ) and straws help. Get out all the crap. I used little squares of 3m pads and a long 12 inch drill bit to help clean the injector hol and bolt hole. Bolt hole is the hardest because you cant see un there very good.
All cleaned. Injector cleaned. I used anti sieze on injector and a little bit on the seal to make it stick when installing it back in. Now, Hold down bolt went in great. Tightened it without torque wrench. I was excited to get it running and didnt wait to go get a torque wrench and broke off theb. What a idiot. Cant believe how stupid i am.
So I ordered time sert and read how the other guy on the forum fixed his broken bolt.
I drilled out the old bolt ( about 3/4 inch ). I didnt want to get to close to the very bottom so I left a 2 to 3 mm at the bottom un bored. Tapped the hole, screwed in the time-sert. Not over tightening, and following directions very closely. Time-sert in. I watch a video of a guy doing them on a engine block for a new head to see howdonit's done. He was informative and it's just reassuring to see it done with your own eyes ya know.
I did not get the new tap hole drilled exactly center but it's working and think ok.it's ok. Getting the tap started took a little tap with a hammer and then it took.
Injector isworking. No more chuffing and no more smell in the cabin. The whole repair was stressful for me but I think it better to be overly careful and worry to do it right the first time. I cant believe I broke the boat but I have the time-serts and experience now for what its worth. Doing the next injector when i comes time will be different. Thanks to all who post on here, it's been so valuable and I'm grateful so here's is my experience. Cheers.
What size the time sert kit you used?
I see a different size of time sert on Amazon I get confused, I'm having the same problem 2011 sprinter

Attachments

Top Bottom