FAQ: Batteries

autostaretx

Erratic Member
That's very difficult to read, largely due to white text on blue background. Anyone publishing white text on blue background online should be banned from the Internet.
IF you're on a Windows PC, just ask your browser to *print* the page to the "Microsoft Print to PDF" device.

It will render the text as black-on-white ... all 96 pages of it.

Unfortunately, it's just creating an image, so the embedded links won't work and you won't be able to search in the page for specific words.

--dick

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
That's very difficult to read, largely due to white text on blue background. Anyone publishing white text on blue background online should be banned from the Internet.
Cut & paste, my friend.... cut & paste.

mntnmanga

The lessons I take from this article are the following:

If you are going to utilize Lithium Iron batteries without a BMS, you had better understand the chemistry and limitations of exactly what you have and how to utilize it best.

If you are going to utilize Lithium Iron batteries with a manufacturer provided BMS, you still need to understand the limitations of that BMS and you need to ensure that your method of charging (alternator, solar, battery charger) is appropriate for the batteries.

The storage state can be one of the more difficult problems to solve. Many of my customers have large RVs that they winterize. The procedure for them has always been to plug in their shore power (which enables an on-board battery charger) and thats done. Storage battery charger settings need a second look. You can trick a lead acid style charger to leave a Lithium Iron battery charged at 50% by adjusting absorption and float voltages.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Just discovered this thread. Yikes! Looks like I am well advised to do some reading,.....lots of reading,......

mda

Is it OK to add a new (additional) battery to an existing 1-battery system (12v Duracell Ultra 92ah)? Existing battery is less that 2 years old with light usage. I’d get the same battery model to add capacity. I’ve been advised to get 2 new batteries. Hate to replace a battery that seems perfectly good...

Thanks

(I’m a new owner of a 2017 144 cargo - partially built-out. Lots of upgrades planned. Love this site, so much to learn.)

outbound

06/2500/140
if it was within a few months of the existing and hadnt been too deeply discharged or not maintained?
maybe.
but 2 year old and new = old sucks down the new and ya end up with 2 junk batts within a few months
(assuming yer discharging, esp if ya dont fully recharge every cycle)

mda

OK thanks. Looks like it's new batteries for me. And do I also need to upgrade the existing Sure Power 2314 -200 isolator if I get to 200ah of battery capicity? I think I know the answer.

unimog

Was looking at the Storyteller vans with the Volta system where there is a large 10000wh lithium storage battery. 3600w inverter and large 50 volt alternator to recharge in a couple of hours. The Volta system can apparently only be purchased installed in an RV or semi truck and does not look like you can buy components. Are there sources out there for the components from other suppliers? Any forum sites where this is discussed would be nice?

marklg

Was looking at the Storyteller vans with the Volta system where there is a large 10000wh lithium storage battery. 3600w inverter and large 50 volt alternator to recharge in a couple of hours. The Volta system can apparently only be purchased installed in an RV or semi truck and does not look like you can buy components. Are there sources out there for the components from other suppliers? Any forum sites where this is discussed would be nice?
10,000 wh in a 48 V system is 4 200 Ah 12V batteries in series or 8 100 Ah 12V batteries in 4S2P. There is not anything very unusual there. There are lots of choices. 3600W 48V inverters can be found everywhere too. The alternator is more of a challange. It seems integrating those with the system has been a challenge for many. So, components like that are nothing special. The hardest part is the system integration.

Regards,

Mark

unimog

Thank you for your comments Mark. It would be nice to hear from someone who has successfully integrated a system like that? The details of the Volta system is lacking maybe on purpose to protect the integration design?

marklg

Thank you for your comments Mark. It would be nice to hear from someone who has successfully integrated a system like that? The details of the Volta system is lacking maybe on purpose to protect the integration design?
I expect they don't describe details for just that reason, but I am always wary when specs are thin.

If you do the following search:

You can see a lot of information and issues integrating a 48V alternator. Since I did not go that route, I really don't understand it, but the volume of issues steered me away from it.

Regards,

Mark

unimog

Beginning to understand the value of making it simple and using a Honda generator when needed. Thanks for the information

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi,
TheFitRV on YouTube has a comparison of the Volta system against a similar Lithionics system in 2 RVs.

Lithionics does have retail products.

Top Bottom