Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
lanaya77
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak

I got a serious transmission leak coming out from the upper plug ďcapĒ that is above the transmission just right between the transmission and bell. Once the fluid get temperature, it starts throwing all the fluid. Is a 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 3.0 turbo.
Is something that happened from being working good, then on a stop light didnít drive when the green light came on. It gives me the codes P0715, P0730, P0731, P0732, P0833, P2784.

First of all I didnít notice that was low in transmission fluid and didnít see any signs of a leak. I had to order the trans. Deep stick and then get aware was not fluid. So I add fluid, reset all codes and drive a few blocks around. Then it happens again. Transmission went to limp mode and turn engine off for a few seconds and turn it on again in order to be able to drive back to my house. So I checked transmission fluid level and had to add 2 quart. Reset codes again and drove it again. The at second stop I notice a trail of fluid. So I managed to get back home and added more fluid and keep looking under neath to see where was the problem. This time, I didnít put the lock to the cap and all fluid was leaking through the deep stick tube. So I filled it up and keep looking for other possible leak areas. Then one the fluid reaches it driving temperature start leaking from above the transmission through the cap that mentioned earlier. This cap is not exactly a cap that seals it up. Itís just like a breather or something like that. So my question is; what are the possible causes of this type of leaks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5A59FFF-168D-430D-8FDA-D6E0E0F8024E.jpg (45.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1B5AF51B-B678-4F68-B68F-443B8D62E345.jpg (51.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg D9053ACE-5E44-4B47-B6ED-0E20A153F2DD.jpg (51.8 KB, 65 views)
lanaya77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
lindenengineering
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 12,588
Thanks: 3,101
Thanked 10,587 Times in 5,374 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

First it can be overfull (most obvious problem.)
Second
You have a monstrous internal leak at the forward end of the clutch packs which is bombarding the breather.
Or
The torque converter front seal is leaking and giving the impression that it is flowing out of the vent cap.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
The Grand Tour
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3,187
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 798 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanaya77 View Post
So my question is; what are the possible causes of this type of leaks?
Are you asking for all of the possible causes of a symptom like that?

Or are you asking what the cause of YOUR concern is?

I would think that the latter would be more relevant to your situation.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
lanaya77
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Posible causes to my concern
lanaya77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
lindenengineering
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 12,588
Thanks: 3,101
Thanked 10,587 Times in 5,374 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Being a curious Bod by nature.
I have to ask!??
Are you filling & verifying the transmission level with the engine running or not?
What prompted all this transmission filling & buying of a dipstick in the first place?
AND of course is it the right one?--Where did you buy it from?
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 AM   #6
The Grand Tour
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3,187
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 798 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanaya77 View Post
Posible causes to my concern
Why? Are you taking a survey?

You should be MOST interested in THE Cause of your specific Concern.

And that would best be determined through accurate diagnosis performed by a competent technician, not random guessing on the internet.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
lanaya77
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Being a curious Bod by nature.
I have to ask!??
Are you filling & verifying the transmission level with the engine running or not?
What prompted all this transmission filling & buying of a dipstick in the first place?
AND of course is it the right one?--Where did you buy it from?
Dennis
Yes, engine running on a level place.
My truck didnít drive at a stop light on my way to home. It just accelerate And rpmís was to high and then started moving to slow like when you start driving on a manual transmission in 4th gear. 1st gear come back after 20 min with the engine off, but just drive for a few seconds and the I loose traction ď I believe ď just was so accelerated and driving so slow. So apparently the transmission went to a limp mode. All the check engine codes that I got are related. Check first post. And is recommending first to check fluid level. So thatís what I did and itís showed empty. The dip stick is for the transmission type 722.6
lanaya77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 AM   #8
Sprinter SS
 
Sprinter SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 871
Thanks: 66
Thanked 313 Times in 221 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Why? Are you taking a survey?

You should be MOST interested in THE Cause of your specific Concern.

And that would best be determined through accurate diagnosis performed by a competent technician, not random guessing on the internet.
Grand Tour,

Are you always a prick when someone who cannot afford to take their van to the dealer as a question? Whats the main purpose of the forum? To network among enthusiast and learn means and methods of the Sprinter. A knowledge of experiences, if we all condemned those who ask questions I guess we could look at pretty pictures?
Sprinter SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 AM   #9
lindenengineering
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 12,588
Thanks: 3,101
Thanked 10,587 Times in 5,374 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanaya77 View Post
I got a serious transmission leak coming out from the upper plug ďcapĒ that is above the transmission just right between the transmission and bell. Once the fluid get temperature, it starts throwing all the fluid. Is a 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 3.0 turbo.
Is something that happened from being working good, then on a stop light didnít drive when the green light came on. It gives me the codes P0715, P0730, P0731, P0732, P0833, P2784.

First of all I didnít notice that was low in transmission fluid and didnít see any signs of a leak. I had to order the trans. Deep stick and then get aware was not fluid. So I add fluid, reset all codes and drive a few blocks around. Then it happens again. Transmission went to limp mode and turn engine off for a few seconds and turn it on again in order to be able to drive back to my house. So I checked transmission fluid level and had to add 2 quart. Reset codes again and drove it again. The at second stop I notice a trail of fluid. So I managed to get back home and added more fluid and keep looking under neath to see where was the problem. This time, I didnít put the lock to the cap and all fluid was leaking through the deep stick tube. So I filled it up and keep looking for other possible leak areas. Then one the fluid reaches it driving temperature start leaking from above the transmission through the cap that mentioned earlier. This cap is not exactly a cap that seals it up. Itís just like a breather or something like that. So my question is; what are the possible causes of this type of leaks?
Looking at your codes I would say that you have suffered a major transmission failure.

P0731=Turbine shaft circuit "A" defective
P0732= 1st gear incorrect
p0732 = Gear ratio incorrect
P0823 -Gear shift position circuit 1
P2784= Input turbine speed A/B correlation. This would explain why fluid is pouring out of the breather .
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.