Sprinter Headliner Shelf Alternative

Howdy All,

Like many on this forum, I felt a decent amount of anguish when trying to rationalize the purchase of a headliner shelf in North America. We were looking at a cost of $495, plus $200 for shipping, running up the total to about $700 USD. Ouch.

I try to get good value out of my purchases - buying a factory built shelf at that didn't spark any good feelings on that front - but also don't try to spend endless hours on something to get it at a rock bottom price. There has to be a happy medium between convenience and cost.

With that being said, I want to share with the forum a product that I've developed, alongside an design-engineer friend, to solve this issue and fill the need. What we are offering is a DIY Headliner Shelf Kit. Included in this are CAD drawings to have the shelf manufactured and powder coated in your local community, which cuts out the shipping cost and large margin being earned by the upfitter companies, and ship the necessary hardware for mounting, brackets and fasteners, to you for final assembly. Customers have asked for a 1:1 scale paper template to skip the sheet metal shop entirely and cut it on their own out of plywood - we are now offering this as well.

Have a gander if you're currently contemplating purchasing a shelf, or building your own, but feel as described above. Currently have the 2007-18 in stock, with a kit for 2019+ vans just around the corner.

https://vancillary.com/product/headliner-shelf/

P.S The manufacturing for the brackets is happening in the USA, as is the fastener kitting and template printing. We plan on keeping everything local.

F2ca170

Interested..... but how come it's so much extra for the paper template for the shelf? $29.95? Not being critical..... just wondering.....

Last edited:
Interested..... but how come it's so much extra for the paper template for the shelf? $29.95? Not being critical..... just wondering.....
It's a large format print, 60" by 30", hand folded and packaged. Considered a specialty job by most print shops I've spoken with thus far!

Shredgnarr

This is great! This was a project for spring but need a new project now that I ruined my knee snowboarding for the season.

Question - I have access to CAD and plotter. If I print my own to cut out will it match the headliner and side walls contours? or are there spaces similar to the RB version?

John E

Interesting. Is there an option to buy the template only?
If there is, I'd buy it. Been thinking of making my own headliner shelf. I have no problem just scribing it, but for a reasonable price, I'd certainly buy a template.

This is great! This was a project for spring but need a new project now that I ruined my knee snowboarding for the season.

Question - I have access to CAD and plotter. If I print my own to cut out will it match the headliner and side walls contours? or are there spaces similar to the RB version?
You'd have to ensure that your printer is scaling the drawing properly - this took a few attempts with our printing supplier to ensure the templates are true 1:1 scale. But the answer is yes - the prints are effectively just the perimeter of the dimensions within the cad file, but we've taken the necessary steps to make sure they are true to size.

mtncrawler

At the moment there is not. Apologies.
That’s too bad. I think you’d help your sales - many can do the shelf / bracket fab work, but a lot of time can be saved not having to create the perfect pattern. (Not a horrible task, but the job becomes more doable for some)

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
I think it would be a good idea to mention the size ( both the area and the volume ) of the shelf and how much storage room it creates. Also, how much headroom is there above the seats under the shelf?

dirkca

This looks great. Do you foresee any issues with having the factory headliner? Also, it says no drilling required - it looks like one it uses the screws for the coat hanger and the handle bar?

This looks great. Do you foresee any issues with having the factory headliner? Also, it says no drilling required - it looks like one it uses the screws for the coat hanger and the handle bar?
Hey Dirk,

I'm not sure what you mean about issues with the factory headliner - this product is shaped and designed only for vans with a factory headliner. And yes! No drilling or modification. It mounts using the existing coat rack and grab bar mounting points. Takes about 15 minutes to install - the whole process is documented and provided in the package.

Last edited:
Hi Sean,
here are two pics of my van. My entire ceiling is using the factory headliner. Maybe the tint in your photo is throwing me off. Looks like it will all fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1q3n9besz44vrh/20190215_162457.jpg?dl=0
Ah, I understand! Yes - the 2007-2018 version is designed for your headliner. Thanks for following up with photos.

P.S Good choice with the blue grey (we're in the same club!)

I think it would be a good idea to mention the size ( both the area and the volume ) of the shelf and how much storage room it creates. Also, how much headroom is there above the seats under the shelf?
Hey Glenn, it comes down about a foot from the headliner at it's highest point, but I'll get some measurements going this week.

Hey Glen,

For dimensions, the shelf drops down about 10" vertically, measured dead-center where the headliner fabric ends. The shelf is about 54" wide by 21" deep, accounting for the curvature i'd estimate it to be about 120 liters. Cheers!

dirkca

Just a quick follow up on my purchase: I am liking the shelf a lot. Production near my home was a breeze and came in under US $225, including the powder coating of the brackets. Installation was easy and it is an awesome overall fit. I don't have a lot of time but it felt like I did some work on my own which gives me satisfaction. The extra storage space is great! Unintended benefits: Great for hanging clothes and sleeping bags. Even better yet: Hanging sleeping bags or suits provide nice sound dampening while driving and keep the front a little warmer --> no need for an additional curtain.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazixeyjr8kwcxk/van-shelf.jpg?dl=0

Top Bottom