Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
H.Mont

Default Y.A.W.D - Yet Another Wiring Diagram, Please Review

I am looking for a review of my proposed wiring plan for my van. I use the van as a cabinet and furniture making install rig for my business, and weekend camping with an occasional longer trip each year. I am keeping everything as modular and open as possible. For this reason, I have chosen to store the house batteries in the engine compartment using AdWag's battery tray. I know this is not ideal, but for now that's where they have to be. I have researched that for the health of my AGM batteries it is best to use a DC-DC charger and I am planning on using the Kisae DMT1250. I chose this as it has a built in MPPT solar charger, thus taking up less room, and I can set it for a 40 amp charge rate. I will have 200W solar on the roof, 224 Ah of house battery, a Victron battery monitor, an 8 slot fuse block under the driver seat (accessible through the MB seat side fuse opening - credit goes to ddunaway) and a 12 slot fuse block under the passenger seat (accessible through the seat side opening). I wanted to make sure that I had access to all fuses without having to remove the seats. The battery charger (Kisae), shunt, and buss bars will be under the driver's seat. The main disconnect switch will be on the outside back of the driver side seat base.

I am not an engineer, I am a woodworker, so please let me know if you see any glaring errors. I am particularly interested whether my fuses and wire sizes look correct. All of my distribution wires for my loads are 12 awg accept for the 3 light runs that are 14 awg. I have already been advised to use 2 ga. wire rather than 4 ga. in places (thank you Hein for your advise and any other review you may have), so that if I wanted to add 1000W inverter in the future I'd be set. For now I am going to keep things all DC. Lastly, I am not sure whether the negative lead from my solar panels needs to be run through the shunt and if so, how?

Thanks for the look and review.

Thanks -
Hugh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H.Mont Wiring Diagram #3.pdf (504.2 KB, 128 views)
H.Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #2
BigDC

Default Re: Y.A.W.D - Yet Another Wiring Diagram, Please Review

Based on a very limited glance, the 40A Blue Sea Circuit Breaker between the Kisae and the 200W of solar isn’t sized properly nor is it really even necessary. It’s only serving as a DC disconnecting means because the paralleled ampacity of the two solar panels is nowhere close to 40A.
BigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigDC For This Useful Post:
H.Mont (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
H.Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDC View Post
Based on a very limited glance, the 40A Blue Sea Circuit Breaker between the Kisae and the 200W of solar isnít sized properly nor is it really even necessary. Itís only serving as a DC disconnecting means because the paralleled ampacity of the two solar panels is nowhere close to 40A.
Right. My understanding is that I want a disconnect at this point. I believe the Kisae manual called out 40A, but I thought it was large.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
NBB

It's more common and more correct to have the main battery disconnect on the negative side. Only 1 fuse is needed near battery on the positive side, before the bus bar.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
calbiker

Thanked 1,269 Times in 827 Posts

You have 26 feet to 2 awg cable from B2B to battery resulting in a 0.2V drop.

I would move B2B close to the batteries or use a bigger cable.
calbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
H.Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
It's more common and more correct to have the main battery disconnect on the negative side. Only 1 fuse is needed near battery on the positive side, before the bus bar.
Should I be locating the main disconnect switch before the shunt on the negative side? Why is this better? Only one fuse needed on the positive side, you are referring to my terminal fuse on the pos. post of the battery is enough?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #7
H.Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbiker View Post
You have 26 feet to 2 awg cable from B2B to battery resulting in a 0.2V drop.

I would move B2B close to the batteries or use a bigger cable.
I may have been generous in my lengths. I think to go from the engine compartment to under driver seat may only be 9-10ft. My components under the seat may be shorter than 1.5ft runs, but for now call it a foot. That eliminates 4 feet giving a total of 22 ft. Not sure that changes much? Suppose I could go with 1 awg ??
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #8
calbiker

Thanked 1,269 Times in 827 Posts

You should treat the B2B like an inverter. They need to be as close as possible to the battery. You pay the big bucks for a B2B to regulate charging voltage and then drop 0.2V over the cables? Your house batteries may want to see 14.7V, but only 14.5V gets there. Charging current will suffer.

Why not make the alt-to-B2B cable long and the B2B-to-battery cable short? You can afford to have a sizable cable drop on the alt line.
calbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #9
H.Mont

Quote:
You should treat the B2B like an inverter. They need to be as close as possible to the battery. You pay the big bucks for a B2B to regulate charging voltage and then drop 0.2V over the cables? Your house batteries may want to see 14.7V, but only 14.5V gets there. Charging current will suffer.

Why not make the alt-to-B2B cable long and the B2B-to-battery cable short? You can afford to have a sizable cable drop on the alt line.
This all makes sense and maybe I need to let go my initial goal which has been to keep the interior of the van free and clear of batteries. I thought I could achieve this and it seems there must be a way or else AdWag would have made a battery tray for the engine compartment. Others, have placed there batteries near the wheel wells maybe I need to too. What size cable would I need to run to have no voltage drop in the current configuration?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #10
mtncrawler

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Mont View Post
This all makes sense and maybe I need to let go my initial goal which has been to keep the interior of the van free and clear of batteries. I thought I could achieve this and it seems there must be a way or else AdWag would have made a battery tray for the engine compartment. Others, have placed there batteries near the wheel wells maybe I need to too. What size cable would I need to run to have no voltage drop in the current configuration?
HMont - Hey I just sent you a PM re my system - and catching up on your thread.

What calbiker described is similar to what I did. My house batteries and B2B are within a foot of each other (behind the rear drivers wheel well) with a longer (2awg) run from the B2B to my starter battery (PDM).

Might it be worth a look at mounting the B2B charger near the batteries under the hood? I'm not sure how robust the Kisae B2B's are to outside exposure. Just a thought to keep things outside the "van space".

EDIT: Just looking at the install manual - doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to mount under the hood. Mounting instructions/placement are a little fuzzy.

"CAUTION: Before beginning your unit Installation, please consider the following:
• The unit should be used or stored in an indoor area away from direct sunlight, heat, moisture or conductive contaminants.
• When placing the unit, allow a minimum of three inches of space around the unit for optimal ventilation.
Mounting the Charger:
• Choose an appropriate mounting location.
• For installing in an indoor location, the unit should be mounted vertically (with the battery terminals facing downwards). This provides the best thermal performance and drip protection. The unit should NOT
be mounted upside down.
• For installing in a boat or marine environment, the unit
should only be mounted vertically (Battery Terminals
facing downwards) to provide adequate drip protection...."

Last edited by mtncrawler; 11-12-2019 at 03:55 AM.
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mtncrawler For This Useful Post:
H.Mont (11-12-2019)