Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

View Poll Results: how do you start your sprinter?
wait for dash lights to turn off before cranking 60 78.95%
do not wait for dash lights to turn off before cranking 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Old 11-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #41
heavy351

Default Re: How do you start your Sprinter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Athouse View Post
Itís foolish to crank the engine while glow plug light is on because the shared load of glow plug and cranking can reduce voltage down to the point that damage to components can occur. However, know that just because the glow plug light is out does not mean that the plugs are cooling off and are not still being actively heated. They are. The light goes out signifying they are hot enough to start. Personally I wait for them to go out and give an extra 5 count then start, unless itís already warm from driving and then I just wait for light out.
Ive noticed the time the glow plug light stays on is longer when it is very cold out.. and on the same day it will stay lit for half as long restarting a warm engine.

I therefore believe the indicator on the dash is actually showing us when current flows to glowplug. During starting, didn't you ever notice the headlights stay off? All available current goes to the starter. My lights come back a few moments on after the motor is running. Seriously doubt starter is sharing the current of the glow plug..

Been cycling the plugs 3x before starting on frigid days for 150,000 miles now..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
heavy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #42
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy351 View Post
Ive noticed the time the glow plug light stays on is longer when it is very cold out.. and on the same day it will stay lit for half as long restarting a warm engine.

I therefore believe the indicator on the dash is actually showing us when current flows to glowplug. During starting, didn't you ever notice the headlights stay off? All available current goes to the starter. My lights come back a few moments on after the motor is running. Seriously doubt starter is sharing the current of the glow plug..

Been cycling the plugs 3x before starting on frigid days for 150,000 miles now..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well, I guess that’s possible and only testing would confirm, but if the engine stops glowing while cranking I’m not sure that would be the smartest way to try and get ignition, I mean common sense tells me that the glow should continue into cranking, but I’ll say that common sense flies out the windows on MANY aspects of this Mercedes van! Someday I’ll meet the person who designed the idiotic door lock system.
I’m half tempted to use my DC clamp meter to see if I can map out how they really work.

For many years glow controllers have generally been so that the glow light turns off when its time to crank, but a PWM type current was still applied to the plugs. This would go on for an undetermined amount of time even after the engine was running on all Cyl. Personally I prefer an air heater type starting aid than glow plugs. They seem to work and last forever. My old cummins has/had one, but that engine doesn’t even need it or glow plugs and I threw it out! It just starts from cranking. But that legendary engine is only the stuff of dreams anymore.

Old fleet: several t1n 05/06
Gabe Athouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #43
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
"because the shared load of glow plug and cranking can reduce voltage down to the point that damage to components can occur." Citations required....

How do you know, or not, that the MB engineers haven't already accounted for and coded the additional time in the algorithm?

You realize itís called a ďwait to start lightĒ Donít you? Or are you just stirring the pot? Hey do whatever you want. You can ignore all your lights! Lots of people do! Iím just glad that so many people can incorrectly start their sprinters without negative results. Two thumbs up.

Also, read post #16.

Last edited by Gabe Athouse; 12-09-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #44
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,850 Times in 5,513 Posts

I tell you what!
I just turn the bloody key when the glow plug light has gone out! .(Wonders of the modern world ! !
By comparison check out the start pah lava of a Kreigsmarine engine of the 1940's in a U Boat.

I apprenticed for a while with an ex prisoner of war engine mechanic who prey'd on allied shipping in the Atlantic before surrendering to the Royal Navy after a fire fight.

As a 17 year old I loved to take the pi$$ out of him as boys do!
I can still hear him shouting "shut up you stupid boy" in broken English .
Gone now but not forgotten, (Maat Eric Kerigsmarine mechanic.)
Dennis

lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-09-2019), CJPJ (12-09-2019), EBH (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #45
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,427 Posts

image.jpg
CJPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJPJ For This Useful Post:
Midwestdrifter (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #46
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,968 Posts

Quote:
You realize itís called a ďwait to start lightĒ Donít you? Or are you just stirring the pot? Hey do whatever you want. You can ignore all your lights! Lots of people do! Iím just glad that so many people can incorrectly start their sprinters without negative results. Two thumbs up.
I see the issue....

Despite me presenting a single quote from you verbiage, I was actually asking two and separate questions. Let's ignore the second one for the moment, and I will ask the first one again...

You said "because the shared load of glow plug and cranking can reduce voltage down to the point that damage to components can occur."

I would like you to provide citations to back up claim.... (Hint: I already know that your claim is wrong).
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #47
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
I see the issue....

Despite me presenting a single quote from you verbiage, I was actually asking two and separate questions. Let's ignore the second one for the moment, and I will ask the first one again...

You said "because the shared load of glow plug and cranking can reduce voltage down to the point that damage to components can occur."

I would like you to provide citations to back up claim.... (Hint: I already know that your claim is wrong).
How about post 16 of this very thread? Okay how do YOU know I’m wrong? Have you tested the amp load on GP during starting? Or are you claiming dropped voltage isn’t dangerous for an engines electronics?

Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #48
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,469 Times in 9,192 Posts

I guess that I don't really understand the debate.

Quote:
... Or are you claiming dropped voltage isnít dangerous for an engines electronics?
Steady state low(er) voltage which doesn't somehow result in spikes of high(er) voltages is generally not the concern. Jump starting from one vehicle to another can often result in voltage spikes.

Assuming that the chassis battery meets OEM specifications and is in good operating condition, the system design includes accommodating pre-start glow plug operation.

I start my diesel engine sprinters as Dennis described.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #49
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I guess that I don't really understand the debate.

Steady state low(er) voltage which doesn't somehow result in spikes of high(er) voltages is generally not the concern. Jump starting from one vehicle to another can often result in voltage spikes.

Assuming that the chassis battery meets OEM specifications and is in good operating condition, the system design includes accommodating pre-start glow plug operation.

I start my diesel engine sprinters as Dennis described.

vic
I donít either, Orion just likes to be a useless addition to any given thread.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #50
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,968 Posts

Quote:
How about post 16 of this very thread? Okay how do YOU know I’m wrong? Have you tested the amp load on GP during starting? Or are you claiming dropped voltage isn’t dangerous for an engines electronics?
You want me to look at someone's post who I've lost any or ll respect for and is on my Ignore user list?

Sigh, ok......

I looked.... epic fail, on your behalf, for quoting someones else's 'opinion' and especially his.

Tiny fail on mine, expecting you to know that when someone asks for citations it be from a source much higher up in tree of knowledge, experience, etc....

Since the ecu monitors voltages, it will take certain loads 'offline' as needed so that a catastrophe as you described won't occur....

Last edited by OrioN; 12-09-2019 at 07:13 PM.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
Wine Country (12-10-2019)