Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:31 AM   #71
bored

Default Re: Another wiring diagram from a noob....

@harry

I can answer that. I wanted to do a 24v system. Makes the most sense. I also wanted to do a Tesla system or build my own Battery Pack.

Sometimes it makes sense to take the past of least resistance.

You have giving some compelling information on the benefits of a 24v system. While these systems are out of my wheelhouse so was a lot of hot rodding I have done on other builds.

Came down to this.
-----This is a one off build for me. It doubtful I will ever build another van again.
-----Everywhere I read it simply said 12v systems are easier. 24v systems cheaper to build
-----Most box-stores sell parts for 12v systems if you are ever in a pinch and need a part
-----If I am in a remote area because of my limited experience I felt a 12v system would be easier to troubleshoot.

That is why I choose a 12v system

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I hope you don't take this as a criticism - because that is not how it is meant - just wanting to add something for completeness.

Xantrex makes the Freedom type inverters in both 12 volt and 24 volt versions, with identical charging "amps" capability.

Using the version designed for 50 amps output, if a system is built using a 24 volt battery bank instead of 12 volts, then the charge rate (in watts) doubles. So using exactly the same components, wiring, bus bars, etc, the system could charge at ~ 2 kW instead of ~ 1 kW. Charge time would drop from ~ 3 hrs to 1.5 hrs.

You know how it is - I can't write a post without trying to get people to use 24 volt systems.

Sort of like Graphite Dave and his inverter - charger concept.

Harry
Old 12-09-2019, 05:06 AM   #72
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,241 Times in 5,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
-----Most box-stores sell parts for 12v systems if you are ever in a pinch and need a part
-----If I am in a remote area because of my limited experience I felt a 12v system would be easier to troubleshoot.
I *think* many Big Rigs (i.e. semi-trailer trucks) use 24v for their "driver comfort" accessories.
So 24v parts may be more available than you think. Just drop in at the Peterbuilt and Freightliner service depots (or truck stops).

--dick (has 12v system, so above is hearsay coupled to flaky memory)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #73
HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
@harry

I can answer that. I wanted to do a 24v system. Makes the most sense. I also wanted to do a Tesla system or build my own Battery Pack.

Sometimes it makes sense to take the past of least resistance.

You have giving some compelling information on the benefits of a 24v system. While these systems are out of my wheelhouse so was a lot of hot rodding I have done on other builds.

Came down to this.
-----This is a one off build for me. It doubtful I will ever build another van again.
-----Everywhere I read it simply said 12v systems are easier. 24v systems cheaper to build

That is why I choose a 12v system
Hi, makes perfect sense.

Just for clarity, the house battery pack voltage has really nothing at all to do with the appliance voltage requirements in the van. The battery pack is only there to reasonably efficiently "store power".

- Inverters output 120 vac (or whatever the regional typical is)
- USB is ~ 5 volts
- 12 volt appliances really want 13 volts at the 12 volt plug.

The "internal" DC voltage in my van's house battery is 48 volts, but that is only used by the inverter. Everything else is "regulated 12 volt" or "USB".

I don't own any 48 volt appliances at all.

Sometimes it is convenient to have a power distribution location on both sides of a van. (saves wiring long distances to the battery).

In that case I just run a 24 (or 48 volt) line over to a local DC - DC converter and power a local location, example a normal blue sea fuse block to distribute 12 volts.

I am not sure if it is cheaper or not. I am lazy so I don't like running so many wires around the van.

Some customers are buying 120 vac outlets with a USB port built in. At that point, we aren't far from skipping the need for 12 volt distribution completely.

https://wirlnet-inc.square.site
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:53 AM   #74
bored

Default updated....Re: Another wiring diagram from a noob....

Here is the new wire diagram. I was able to take advantage of some Cyber Monday sales and have updated the components.

Anything with an image is already purchased. I will update the wire size and lengths as soon as things start getting mounted. Any help is always appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Electric-Diagram2.png (37.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #75
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,290 Times in 4,619 Posts

The only item that can be attached to the battery negative terminal is the shunt. All other negative cables must be attached to the load side of the shunt, or the meter will not read properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
bored (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #76
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
The only item that can be attached to the battery negative terminal is the shunt. All other negative cables must be attached to the load side of the shunt, or the meter will not read properly.
Add to that... the 3 batteries need to be wired in parallel & not series.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
bored (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #77
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

Following what MWD said, my preference is to utilize positive and negative busbars. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...006VELFDK?th=1

Neg batt terminal > shunt > busbar > all negative connections
Pos batt terminal > fuse > busbar > all positive connections

Fit more than a couple of big lugs on a battery and you're out of space. The busbars allow for a much cleaner install, and if you ever need to disconnect something you don't have to unstack the batt. terminal...

https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com
Zundfolge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zundfolge For This Useful Post:
bored (12-12-2019), OrioN (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #78
bored

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Old 12-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #79
bored

Thank you. That will give me a very clean look which is what I am hoping for also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
Following what MWD said, my preference is to utilize positive and negative busbars. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...006VELFDK?th=1

Neg batt terminal > shunt > busbar > all negative connections
Pos batt terminal > fuse > busbar > all positive connections

Fit more than a couple of big lugs on a battery and you're out of space. The busbars allow for a much cleaner install, and if you ever need to disconnect something you don't have to unstack the batt. terminal...
Old 12-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #80
bored

Thanks. For some reason I mixed up my notes. Solar in Series. Batteries in Parallel..

Thanks for catching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
Add to that... the 3 batteries need to be wired in parallel & not series.