Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
pdxhiker

Default VS30 Relocating AUX Battery from passenger seat to install D2 heater

My crew van comes with Aux battery which is located under the passenger seat where a D2 heater typically gets installed. Looking for some ideas if I can relocate the battery and make space for the heater.
pdxhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,351 Times in 6,063 Posts
Default Re: VS30 Relocating AUX Battery from passenger seat to install D2 heater

You can certainly relocate it ... MB even gives you the option of having it under the hood instead of (or as well as) under the seat.
The option kit includes a tray that's installed kind'a in front of the (US) driver.

Under-hoodBattery.png

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,999 Posts
Default Re: VS30 Relocating AUX Battery from passenger seat to install D2 heater

I personally would not relocate the battery, as there are much better performance, less issue prone, and requisite maintenance service accessible locations for a D2 installation.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
pdxhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
I personally would not relocate the battery, as there are much better performance, less issue prone, and requisite maintenance service accessible locations for a D2 installation.
Orion, would you mind what other locations are suitable for D2 installation.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhiker View Post
Orion, would you mind what other locations are suitable for D2 installation.
I am partial to and have mine located just aft of the sliding door and more mid-ship, and pointing it forward.

I have run the cold air intake duct all the way to the rear, which in my case is the trunk under the bed and where the coldest air rests and where condensation or even mold can occur. Coupled with the air blowing forward, I get a very even heat distribution or little air temperature variations. Having the hot air blow across the floor mat that is always getting wet is a bonus, plus I hang my wet clothes on the partial bulkhead panel behind the passenger seat.

The unit is located in the base of a base cabinet that has a false floor for access.

Last edited by OrioN; 01-23-2020 at 11:18 PM.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
jimdog (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #6
jdl8r

Would love to see photos of this installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
I am partial to and have mine located just aft of the sliding door and more mid-ship, and pointing it forward.

I have run the cold air intake duct all the way to the rear, which in my case is the trunk under the bed and where the coldest air rests and where condensation or even mold can occur. Coupled with the air blowing forward, I get a very even heat distribution or little air temperature variations. Having the hot air blow across the floor mat that is always getting wet is a bonus, plus I hang my wet clothes on the partial bulkhead panel behind the passenger seat.

The unit is located in the base of a base cabinet that has a false floor for access.

jdl8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #7
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,099 Posts

We mounted the D2 in the mid-ship location on our 170 3500. It's in the bottom of a cabinet with ducts running to bathroom and exiting into cabin.

More photos and info here and continuing for a few pages afterward: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...=Espar&page=18

If you do decide to relocate the batteries then our under vehicle battery box might be an option.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Last edited by hein; 01-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:22 AM   #8
ddunaway

I put both the D2 and a group 31 battery under the low seat base with factory swivels. The key was to create a flat spot where I needed it with a cutout and a glued and screwed Stainless plate. See my build thread if interested....4x4 PAV.....

Long term you will probably find the aux battery is too small to be useful. I added a second house bank of 230Amp hours. Every once in a while in the winter camping for 3days or so my main bank gets low and I use the aux bat....maybe 3 times in about 4 years.

Last edited by ddunaway; 01-24-2020 at 07:42 AM.
ddunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddunaway For This Useful Post:
hein (01-24-2020), lndscpe (02-10-2020), Nightpanda (01-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
pdxhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunaway View Post
I put both the D2 and a group 31 battery under the low seat base with factory swivels. The key was to create a flat spot where I needed it with a cutout and a glued and screwed Stainless plate. See my build thread if interested....4x4 PAV.....

Long term you will probably find the aux battery is too small to be useful. I added a second house bank of 230Amp hours. Every once in a while in the winter camping for 3days or so my main bank gets low and I use the aux bat....maybe 3 times in about 4 years.
thanks for the pictures, the AUX 95AH battery supplied by MB is size group 31? if it is then I should be able to follow your lead to install the heater beside the AUX Battery, do you see any issues with heat or special care that needs to be taken while installing.

Could you please few upload high-resolution pictures on imgur.

Last edited by pdxhiker; 01-24-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: requesting hi-res pictures.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
ddunaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhiker View Post
thanks for the pictures, the AUX 95AH battery supplied by MB is size group 31? if it is then I should be able to follow your lead to install the heater beside the AUX Battery, do you see any issues with heat or special care that needs to be taken while installing.

Could you please few upload high-resolution pictures on imgur.
The heater does not get hot. I had a lot of time in the build to feel the heater in use to get used to the idea. Only the metal output tube gets a little hot, so avoid insulation there. My Aux battery is under the hood. The group 31 is one of the batteries in my other bank but I know that my MB Aux battery would have fit because I thought about getting a second one to create the larger house bank. My batteries are in various places to maximize spatial efficiency at the expense of wiring complexity. Here are more pics......I can work on Imgur later.....

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=40079&page=7
post #70

Last edited by ddunaway; 01-24-2020 at 04:24 PM.
ddunaway is offline   Reply With Quote