Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 11-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,555 Times in 4,781 Posts
Default Re: tacoma vs sprinter

I usually do, depending on if they were an ass the night previous. Most folks don't seem to like tea, especially if it happens to be the green variety.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 AM   #12
metrisprinter

The other day I hopped out of the crew and suddenly it struck me what a long ways I have come from childhood 1960's station wagons. They were the tanks of the day.
We are just ahead of our time. Sprinter is the next SUV.
Different parts of the US has their vehicles. Pacific NW everything is Subaru. During my Elway playing years in Denver, Tacomas already ruled Colorado. In Texas, it's trucks. In the outdoors, it will be Sprinter.
Happy Thanksgiving ya'll
metrisprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 AM   #13
drbutton

Question Re: tacoma vs sprinter

I just read a very critical review of the 2019 Tacoma off-road in Motor Trend, I believe that this is the current issue. The Chevy Colorado (ZX2 Bison) and Jeep Gladiator Rubicon both outshined the little Toyota. And the Chevy for the same price. These vehicles were all expensive special-edition off-roaders. The amount of water that poured out of the Tacoma after a river fording was remarkably embarrassing. I am afraid that the Tacoma is out-of-touch and in need of an overhaul.

But what I really don't understand is why one would even compare a Sprinter to a Tacoma. They have a completely different market niche. Motor Trend would not compare them in a regular contest. What is up with that? Is it a Crested Butte thing? I was just up there earlier this month and saw lots of Sprinters. I thought, "I'll fit in well here". Tacomas are a dime-a-dozen everywhere in Colorado and not a remarkable sight. What am I missing here? The closest thing Toyota has to a Sprinter is a Sequoia, and that is still not the same. I cannot fit my family of nine and their stuff into the little Sequoia.
drbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drbutton For This Useful Post:
fosterama (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
aviatordoc

This from a guy who once owned a Taco and drank the coolaid..
It does have its place and is vert tough lil truck. But comfort was not one of the priories for its designers. If you are 30 and below, its fun.
aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
Midwestdrifter

If you read the inane, dangerous, tribal and often downright stupid stuff that often shows up on the Tacoma world forums. It would make sense. It's like a frat. They know their chosen enemies. Group compromise, suffering, and bad behavior unite the tribe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
fosterama (11-29-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:04 AM   #16
drbutton

Post Re: tacoma vs sprinter

Yes, I found the precise reference, very up to date: Motor Trend, November 2019, "The Mojave River Run", pgs. 60 -73.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...mparison-test/

I am afraid, "Taco" fans, that the Tacoma is bested by two of its American-nameplate rivals in this test. Again, the Sprinter 4x4 is in a class all its own.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:09 AM   #17
drbutton

Tacoma Uh Oh...see photo 22 for the leaking door photo...

Last edited by drbutton; 11-30-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Adding content explanation
Old 12-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
pdxkid
2004 118" High Roof Pass.

The Taco may not be best in show for a Motor Trend shootout, but it will hold it's value far better than any of it's rivals over time.
2004 Dodge Sprinter 118" Wheelbase High Roof Passenger Van in Black. Bilstein 5100 F&R. Camper conversion by Basecamper Vans in SLC. 80,000 miles and counting. SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! Looking for a new van now. I foresee a Transit in our future.
pdxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxkid View Post
The Taco may not be best in show for a Motor Trend shootout, but it will hold it's value far better than any of it's rivals over time.
The 1st gen Tacomas, in particular. I see them on car lots with asking prices that are only a grand less than the newer generations parked next to them.

I used to have a TRD Tacoma with a 4Wheel Pop Up camper. (Real 4WD with locking center and rear diff.) If you want to take your house offroad, that combination will easily go places a Sprinter would not. That said, I learned early on that I don't like taking my house rock crawling.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #20
Midwestdrifter

Buyer perception is the primary driver of resale prices. The reliability specs I have seen put most of the major MFGs even or better than toyota for many vehicle classes. Frame rust, cough cough...

The Toyota perception Tax is real, and means that lightly used other makes are a much better deal, assuming you don't have a toyota only mindset. The better fuel economy offered by most of them helps too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
HarryN (01-11-2020)