Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Write-Ups

VS30 Write-Ups Help other VS30 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 AM   #11
AndyMAC

Default Re: Clark 2.0 - 2019 2WD Iridium Silver 144"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacaw View Post
Never heard of Celtec before. But if it will hold a screw, it sounds like a good material to keep on hand.
Holds just fine...our ceiling boards never moved. I also used it to make my electrical cabinet and shore power cabinet. Used a panel of it to hold my heavy battery charger and it did just fine. I trust it.
AndyMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyMAC For This Useful Post:
cacaw (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:42 AM   #12
AndyMAC

T&G Cedar Ceiling!

My wife made it very clear with Clark 1.0 that she DID NOT want an automotive style finish. She also didn't want log cabin style..so we ended up with what she called "Chic cabin." Still used wood, but stained/painted to give a more modern feel. The ceiling was stained tongue and groove cedar ceiling. We used 3.5" x 1/4" that we picked up from Home depot. I'm 6'2" so using every usable inch of the ceiling was my goal. The Celtec (in previous post) added 1/2" and the with the 1/4" T&G cedar we are only dropping the ceiling 3/4"...pretty good.

We start outside the van...Spend some time sanding and staining the boards outside and you will save yourself lots of time and sore arms if you end up sanding after it's installed.

Once the boards are ready we start in the center (front) and lay the first four boards centered with the front rib and fan. This give us a great starting foundation and allows for minor adjustments once you have started. Depending on your light setup this is where the install is different. We used LED puck lights that install right in the boards and look great. They have retention springs and snap right in. Working your way to the outside and using the ribs as "meeting place" for the boards that don't cover the entire length of the van.

I pre-drill each board (to prevent cracking the board) use a t square to make sure each screw goes in the same spot in the board so they are lined up perfectly.

Depending on how you finish the walls will determine how far you take the boards. I used 14 boards to span the van.

This ceiling did great in our last van (13,500 miles over four months) and we wanted the same result in this van. I will go over using the headliner to cover the hard areas in the front (or a portion of it) in a later post. This alone makes having the Crew van worth it.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2051.jpg (86.8 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (88.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2056.jpg (88.0 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2081.jpg (95.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2076.jpg (103.3 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by AndyMAC; 09-03-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
kinjachris

For those of you wondering if you should get a crew or a cargo....

The factory trim around the sliding door is reason enough to get a crew van! That part of the interior is the hardest part in my opinion. That front right corner has a lot of things coming together and it is nearly impossible to get right. And... its a highly visible part of the build.

This one looks great.
kinjachris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kinjachris For This Useful Post:
AndyMAC (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
AndyMAC

The "FRONT RIGHT CORNER"...

When we built Clark 1.0 my wife and I were sitting there racking our brains on what to do with the front right corner. It is literally the first thing people look at when you open the van door. Just simply covering with fabric was not an option...too many holes were in the B pillar and the angles would have made it impossible. We had been researching the internet and saw some people used Bondo to create a cover, other people used foam...both of which would take a considerable amount of time and patience to figure out...

So after more than an hour, I just said lets just cut the headliner and put it up there temporarily until we can find a better solution. Well, that decision would lead us down the path of what I think is THE single greatest "reuse" decision we made. It took a while to get it right and many trips back to the the jigsaw to trim (you DO NOT want to cut too much!).

So for Clark 2.0, there was no deciding on what to do with the Front Right Corner, we just had to duplicate what we did before, which was way more nerve wracking than just cutting last time. I believe the measurement was 19" from the edge where the headliner meets the top of the door (but you need to measure, because everybody has different ceilings) and then it will taper down enough to tuck behind the final T&G ceiling row. You actually put the last row up after the headliner so it holds it in place.

Another cool "reuse" option is keeping the factory dome light and relocating in your newly cut headliner. We wanted the light to still be available when the door was opened, but my wife made it clear that she DID NOT want to mount it in our "clean looking" ceiling. I had to extend the light wiring (3 wires in the 2019 and I believe our 2018 had 4) I just used 18ga automotive wire that I picked up at Autozone.

To cut the hole in the new headliner piece all you need to do is go back to your headliner that you just cut and jigsaw out the light hole and use that as a template to draw your cut line. I used a drill to make a hole in the outline so I could fit the jigsaw in and just cut out the shape. Take your time...you do not want to cut it too big or let the jigsaw slip.

The rear portion of the headliner will go back and install at its normal place behind the door with the trim clip you removed when you took out the headliner.

We also used the same technique on the Upper Left Corner. Depending on your cabinet setup, etc. You might not use this side, but I included a picture for reference.

Hint for upcoming post...We also discovered that reusing the rear most portion of the headliner to cover the back area is also a great way to keep your ceiling nice and secure. I will cover that in another post because it also involves reusing the headliner material to cover the rear pillars (which look amazing!)

If you are in the Portland area feel free to reach out if you want a close up look.

Happy cutting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2078.jpg (99.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2066.jpg (106.2 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2063.jpg (113.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2064.jpg (114.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080.jpg (82.2 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by AndyMAC; 09-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyMAC For This Useful Post:
cacaw (09-04-2019), GaryFromWork (09-03-2019), tommtber (11-29-2019), Wheeljack (09-10-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #15
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Those corners near the B-pillar are a challenge, and your solution was a great one!
asimba2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #16
sanomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjachris View Post
For those of you wondering if you should get a crew or a cargo....

The factory trim around the sliding door is reason enough to get a crew van! That part of the interior is the hardest part in my opinion. That front right corner has a lot of things coming together and it is nearly impossible to get right. And... its a highly visible part of the build.

This one looks great.
You can order a cargo with that trim package too
sanomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #17
nickbokhoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanomechanic View Post
You can order a cargo with that trim package too
What is the specific order code for that?
nickbokhoven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
AndyMAC

Wheels and Tires!

Ok, so this is not technically a "build post" but plenty of time and research were still very much a part of this decision.

In Clark 1.0 we had the factory alloy wheels and really liked them so we chose to only replace the tires so that we could get over mountain passes without having to put chains on, Clark 1.0 was 2WD and with the weight of the conversion and BFG KO2s we never had an issue with winter driving. Clark 2.0 is also 2WD but we purposely bought one with steel factory wheels because I knew I wanted to replace the wheels and thought it would just be a waste of $800. By the way, I sold my factory steel wheels and Michelin tires on CL for $600.

After countless internet searches and you tube videos and a couple of calls over to the Agile Off Road folks, I settled on the Method 701 17x7.5. I really liked the Black Rhino Warlord but they only came in 8" (or larger) and the guys at Agile said there are fitment issues with going to an 8" wheel, plus I was increasing the size of the tire anyway so I was just fine with that.

So 17x7.5 is was...paired with BFG KO2 255/70 R17. The fit is perfect and the set looks really good. I could have gone with a bigger tire by using Agile Off Roads mud flap kit ($349) but I don't think larger tires would have looked as good on the 2WD.

We are happy with the outcome and even the kids said they were "sweet" and coming from teenagers, that was enough for me.

The bronze color works very well with the Iridium Silver, but would also look really good on a white van, or any color Sprinter for that matter. I think this will be my wheel of choice on Clark 3.0 as well.

Oh, and if you think that was a hint, you're right! I will be selling Clark 2.0 when it's finished. I just enjoy building these so much and like the customization of building one at a time. That way I can test out the van and make sure everything is solid and get out adventuring while having fun with my hobby. My wife is on board with selling this one, although she is absolutely LOVING how it is turning out. Every time we get a package in the mail (Battleborn battery arrived yesterday) she says I could have picked a cheaper hobby,

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7122.jpg (98.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7118.JPG (172.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7117.JPG (171.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7116.JPG (189.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7106.JPG (172.2 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by AndyMAC; 09-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyMAC For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (09-19-2019), cacaw (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #19
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Those look great. I love my blacked-out MB alloys but I'm considering a move to those exact Method 17s specifically so I can run 255/70R17s. IMHO they are the perfect tire size for a Sprinter. (A 4x4 needs much larger just to fill the wheel wells, then gas mileage suffers.)

If I stick with 16s the next step up is 265/75R16. Your size splits the difference down the middle between stock and the 265s.
asimba2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
AndyMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimba2 View Post
Those look great. I love my blacked-out MB alloys but I'm considering a move to those exact Method 17s specifically so I can run 255/70R17s. IMHO they are the perfect tire size for a Sprinter. (A 4x4 needs much larger just to fill the wheel wells, then gas mileage suffers.)

If I stick with 16s the next step up is 265/75R16. Your size splits the difference down the middle between stock and the 265s.

Thank you! We are happy that they turned out looking great. I surprised my wife with the bronze and she actually thought I was crazy because I typically go with grey's and blacks (I guess that is the PNW in me,