Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Adventure > about that Adventure

about that Adventure A place to share (.GPX, POI, etc.) or discuss that next Adventure.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
Dptak01

Default Crossing Mexico border

Does anyone know if there is anything needed to cross the border in Tijuana (Otay or San Ysidro) in a sprinter? Do you have to go in a certain lane or get a specific permit? Thank you to anyone that can help!
Dptak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #2
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

Default Re: Crossing Mexico border

First off, every person heading south across the border needs a passport. A passport card works too, although I have never had one.

Second, every vehicle that plans to travel south has to stop and get a visa, or to be exact, an FMM. Some of these permits are good for a week. If you are staying longer, the 180 day permit is the one to get.

You follow the signs to the immigration check in building and get out and walk to it. There is a large x-ray device that your vehicle goes through, while you wait behind a large concrete wall to limit any exposure. Once through that, you park and walk into the immigration check in building.

The week-long visas are free. The 180 day visa, or FMM permit costs around $30, or so. There are several military and immigration and agricultural stops on the highway where you could be asked to show this document.

A great tip when you return is to go through Tecate. It is a bit out of the way, but the border wait time will save you hours!

My last return trip, the smart phone app north of Ensenada said Otay had no wait, so I stayed on the coast road until the turn off to the Otay crossing, north of Rosarito. For some reason, that road to Otay was closed when I turned off.

I then knew I was stuck with crossing at TJ.

I wished I had gone to Tecate.

2 1/2 to 3 hours later, we made it across the border!

About the only plus was the nonstop entertainment waiting in line with the jugglers, sellers, beggars, food offerings, just about everything under the sun, even puppies! My dark tinted limo glass behind the front cab was much appreciated. My passengers could sit back there and watch the goings on and not be constantly approached by the sellers.

Don't drive at night! Enjoy the view. The topography is not to be missed. There are some areas that are like no other on the planet. The locals are the salt of the earth when out in the boonies. They will stop and help if you need it, while most gringo's drive on by. It is easy to go on and on about what you will see for yourself. Happy and safe travels.

I believe ULSD is now available everywhere so the newer NVC's can now go without worrying about the diesel sulphur levels.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com For This Useful Post:
al415 (06-26-2019), DesertAdventures (05-26-2019), lindenengineering (05-21-2019), niknas (05-21-2019), singletrac (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
GaryJ
Gary

Everything jc said is true but there’s one more thing. Insurance. You are required to have a Mexican liability policy. These can be purchased near the border or can be purchased in advance online from a company like Baja Bound.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #4
Island Jim

Try Lewis and Lewis out of Los Angeles for your Baja insurance, much cheaper and better options. I have not had a claim but they have been in business for 30 years or so , they must be doing something right! We love the Baja, if you like camping on beautiful beaches, friendly people and bargains you should enjoy your stay. Get your visa before you leave home if possible, it is not easy to stop at the border! We have never been asked to show our visa but it is not worth the chance someone will want to see it at some point. The fuel is good all the way down to Cabo now.
Island Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Jim For This Useful Post:
Terrapin (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Dptak01

Muchas gracias amigos!
Dptak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,634 Times in 4,048 Posts

Be mucho careful.

Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #7
GaryJ
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dptak01 View Post
Muchas gracias amigos!
De nada.

Gary
Old 06-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
monoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Jim View Post
Try Lewis and Lewis out of Los Angeles for your Baja insurance, much cheaper and better options. I have not had a claim but they have been in business for 30 years or so , they must be doing something right! We love the Baja, if you like camping on beautiful beaches, friendly people and bargains you should enjoy your stay. Get your visa before you leave home if possible, it is not easy to stop at the border! We have never been asked to show our visa but it is not worth the chance someone will want to see it at some point. The fuel is good all the way down to Cabo now.
I would suggest Baja Bound Insurance. I know people who have had bad experiences with the carrier that Lewis & Lewis uses when it came to actually handling a claim. Quick and easy to get a policy online.
monoloco is offline   Reply With Quote