Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

View Poll Results: Do you have any vibration issues with your Alcoa wheels?
No, my Unity drives smoothly down the highway as expected 70 77.78%
Yes, I have vibration issues and have not been able to correct 6 6.67%
Yes, I had issues but was corrected by an Authorized MBZ repair facility 6 6.67%
Yes, I had issues but was corrected at my own expense 6 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Old 11-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Default Re: POLL: Alcoa Wheels - Any problems?

I can really tell if I have an Alcoa wheel problem. The highways and roadways in this country are horrible and poorly maintained. We have traveled hundreds of miles on bump idly... bump...bump interstate highways, state roads, and bridges across this nation!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #22
SoCal/Mammoth_Unity
2016 LTV Unity CB

Hello Everyone,

I am posting this question in two spots to try to catch everyone in San Diego County.

After reading all the posts in this thread and all the posts in the Wide Body MB Sprinter Service San Diego County thread my head is dizzy. I am having shaking problems also as I stated earlier in this thread. I don't have Alcoa wheels, but I did add an internal TPMS as well as new steams.

To confirm, has any San Diego dealership purchased and started using the described Haweka Pro Max 6 Sprinter Kit for balancing our wheels?

Thanks for your replies, have a great week.

Kindly,
Soames

Last edited by SoCal/Mammoth_Unity; 11-16-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add underline
SoCal/Mammoth_Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #23
PortlandRV
2012 and 2016 IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal/Mammoth_Unity View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am posting this question in two spots to try to catch everyone in San Diego County.

After reading all the posts in this thread and all the posts in the Wide Body MB Sprinter Service San Diego County thread my head is dizzy. I am having shaking problems also as I stated earlier in this thread. I don't have Alcoa wheels, but I did add an internal TPMS as well as new steams.

To confirm, has any San Diego dealership purchased and started using the described Haweka Pro Max 6 Sprinter Kit for balancing our wheels?

Thanks for your replies, have a great week.

Kindly,
Soames
Would you mind participating in the poll? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #24
MSDVLD
2016 Unity MB 15 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRV View Post
Would you mind participating in the poll? Thanks!
According to his post he does not have the Alcoa wheels...
Gloss Glamour Package
Leisure Lounge
MSDVLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #25
PortlandRV
2012 and 2016 IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDVLD View Post
According to his post he does not have the Alcoa wheels...
Okay, makes sense. I wish I could edit the original poll.

The poll is now open to ALL Sprinter 3500 upfitted LTV's.

Did you hear from your MBZ field tech today?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #26
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB

Thanked 1,300 Times in 799 Posts

I have added my vote after Kimo's invite for those of us with steel wheels. I was making a point of thinking carefully about chassis dynamics this morning driving back from the Oregon coast near Newport (Beverly Beach St. Pk.) and was especially paying attention to any differences in handling/steering wheel feedback vs. highway speed and road characteristics. I have no basis for complaining about how my 11,000lb vehicle handles and was actually having a little fun going through the twisty HB Van Duzer section. Steering wheel feedback at least for me was exactly what I was expecting given the road conditions I was working with. Speed ranges were between 45 and 68mph.
The Following User Says Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
PortlandRV (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #27
J&B
2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge

I've been on a soap box the past 4 months preaching BOTH Alcoa after market AND the MB Standard Steel Sprinter 3500 wheels require the special Haweka Pro Kit. Sailquick please correct me if I'm wrong, but the center hole of a Lug Centric wheel is not the true center. These wheels cannot be properly mounted and accurately balanced using the normal cone mounting system that comes with the wheel balancer. Many lug centric wheels may appear to be mounted correctly with the center cone system, but they cannot be accurately balanced. The wheel balancer will continue to either chase weights or the wheel will show signs of imbalance when re-mounted on the vehicle. To ensure an accurate balance, lug centric wheels must be mounted on the balancer through their lug bolt pattern. Lug centric wheels, when mounted on the vehicle are centered by the torque of the lug bolts and not the center bore of the wheel. Hence, the only way to properly balance lug centric is through their lug bolt pattern. This style wheel must be mounted to the computer balancer in the same manner as it is mounted on the vehicle...through the lug bolt pattern. The mounting on the wheel balancer mimics the way the wheel is mounted to the vehicle. I have read this and I believe it was Derek at LTV that confirmed this for me. He provided me with photos depicting wheel balancing with the Alcoa rims. You must use the Haweka Pro Kit for the 3500 Sprinters. The adhesive weights are recommended by Alcoa because you can get a 3D dimension with this type weight and achieve a more accurate balance. Rocklin had to place one of the stick on weights used on the outer rear dually near the outside of the rim and another one closer to the inside. The tire technician showed this to me and asked for my approval. I posted a pic of this wheel and the weights. I'm going to step down off my box and eat dinner. J&B
hotfudge (11-17-2015), Jerry&Debbie (11-17-2015), rgray (07-22-2016)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:31 AM   #28
MSDVLD
2016 Unity MB 15 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRV View Post
Okay, makes sense. I wish I could edit the original poll.

The poll is now open to ALL Sprinter 3500 upfitted LTV's.

Did you hear from your MBZ field tech today?
Not yet...I am trying to be patient and let Holland Motor Homes take care of it. They took our coach and a "like" Sprinter coach over to Hoehn Motors (Mercedes) this morning. I left a voice message and followed with an email request late this afternoon but did not hear back from Holland or Hoehn...I will follow up tomorrow.
Gloss Glamour Package
Leisure Lounge
MSDVLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 AM   #29
sailquik

Thanked 5,591 Times in 3,386 Posts

J&B,
There are 2 completely different wheel "centering" designs when talking about Sprinter wheels.
Yes, you are correct, lug centric wheels depend on the conical tapers in the lug bolts/nuts to center the wheel,
BUT most lug centric wheels have an rolled or formed diameter in the center of the wheel that runs very nearly
perfectly concentric (they are made in press dies to very close tolerances) so the balancing "cones" normally used for
automotive wheels work pretty well on Sprinter (316/319/T1N) 2500 series Sprinters that use the LUG CENTRIC system.
Now, the other side of the design situation.....
All Sprinter 3500's (516/519/T1N) with dual rear wheels are HUB Centric.
The large 161mm (6.3385 inches) hole in the center of a Sprinter 516/519/T1N 3500 series (5 tonner) is what centers
these wheels.
Look at your front or rear hubs (simulators off) and you will clearly see that there is a 161 mm diameter turned (in an automatic
lathe or machining center) on the outer edge of the hub adapters (both front and rear).
That is the diameter that fixes the wheel concentric to the bearings in the axles (rear) front hub wheel bearing (front).
So, the "centering plate or centering adapter in the Haweka Pro 6 kit is 40 mm (1.575 in.) on the inside diameter and 161 mm ( 6.3385 in.) on the
outside diameter so it centers the wheel very accurately on the 40 mm spindle on the approved (by MB) Hoffman and Hunter balancing machines
found in dedicated Sprinter shop areas of authorized MB/Freightliner Sprinter dealers.
The follower plate, with the 3 studs on it, fits into 3 of the lug stud holes in the wheel, but they do not "center" the wheel.
All centering in a hub centric wheel system is done by the large 161 mm hole in the center of the wheel.
Notice that on 516/519/T1N 3500 wheels, the center plate is much thicker (~8 mm) than the thinner center metal on a 2500 lug centric wheel.
Also notice that the lug nuts on your 516/519 series (3500 USA) have a captive washer that simply pushes the wheel up against the flat surface of
the hub.
Also notice that the lug stud holes in the wheel have a significant amount of clearance around the lug stud.
If the wheel weren't being "centered" by the hub centric hole in the center of the wheel it could be mounted significantly
off center with all the clearance in the holes.
As you suggest, it makes no difference whether you have Alcoa Forged Aluminum wheels or the OEM steel wheels.
Either type of wheel mounts HUB CENTRICALLY on a Sprinter with dual rear wheels.
When working with the softer Alcoa Forged alloy rims, balancing techs need to be a lot more careful that there are
no rough edges/burrs/rough surfaces on the Haweka Pro 6 adapter and follower plate to ensure that the balancing
operation does not damage the wheels.
A thin piece of cardboard or plastic, between the wheel and the surface outside the hub centric diameter (161 mm)
should prevent any damage on the surface of the wheel that faces out when mounted as the outside dual on the rear
axle.
The front side should never be touched except right around the lug stud holes and at a diameter that would be covered
by the captive washers on the lug nuts.
Hope this helps,
Roger
OEM back up camera, LED light package, fog lamps,
Had 2014 516 OM-651 I4/7G-Tronic|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170
2006 T1N 3500/158

Last edited by sailquik; 11-17-2015 at 02:24 PM.
sailquik is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
J&B (11-17-2015), Jerry&Debbie (11-17-2015), MSDVLD (11-17-2015), rgray (07-22-2016)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
J&B
2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge

Thanks sailquick - you articulated that very well. Before I spoke with LTV about balancing my Alcoas, I considered the wheels to be hub centric. LTV explained to me the purpose of the Haweka adapter and lining up the lugs correctly. I got the impression they were lug centric. You've helped me have a better understanding of the flange plate and its role. One thing for certain, the MB wheels and the after market Alcoa sprinter wheels require the special adapter kit. I hope all read your threads and mine and find them helpful. J&B