Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Default Re: Best Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

I'm with mumkin on this one as I have three vehicles with TMPS and none of them are accurate by my standards.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB

Thanked 1,300 Times in 799 Posts

Has anyone played around with the TPMS that MB makes for the Sprinter Vans? I am looking at the 2013 MB Sprinter Operators Manual and they describe a TPMS that is fully integrated with the dashboard display and can show the current PSI for the tires. Not sure how easy it would be to retrofit this system into a Sprinter that didn't include it to begin with but it certainly looks interesting and some of the underlying electrical connections may be part of the standard wiring harness of the Sprinter to begin with.
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
Chrisparke (11-30-2013), Denis4x4 (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
llamadave

I have a 3500 Dually high-roof Sprinter with a Sportsmobile interior. It does not come with a TPMS, I guess because the US does not require it. Strange because it is the dually that really needs it since you would not know if one of the rear tires goes flat. The MB owner's manual says: “Do not install anything onto the valve (such as tire pressure monitoring systems) other than the standard valve cap or other valve caps approved by the distributor named on the inside of the front cover.” So I need an internal TPMS. Based on the above posts I am considering the TST internal system: http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/. I viewed the set-up video and it doesn't seem bad to me. Anyone have experience with this? Other comments?

David
llamadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Trayscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave View Post
I have a 3500 Dually high-roof Sprinter with a Sportsmobile interior. It does not come with a TPMS, I guess because the US does not require it. Strange because it is the dually that really needs it since you would not know if one of the rear tires goes flat. The MB owner's manual says: “Do not install anything onto the valve (such as tire pressure monitoring systems) other than the standard valve cap or other valve caps approved by the distributor named on the inside of the front cover.” So I need an internal TPMS. Based on the above posts I am considering the TST internal system: http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/. I viewed the set-up video and it doesn't seem bad to me. Anyone have experience with this? Other comments?

David
I can never find threads very well but if you go to the first page of this one your question will be answered. Merry Christmas or whatever applies this time of the year!
Trayscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
llamadave

I did read this thread and searched for others before posting. Mumkin tried the TST TPMS and returned it because it was too difficult to set up. I assume it was an external system which I don't want because it voids the warranty on my tires and is prone to theft and damage. I am not concerned about a complex setup. TST has a remote extender which I am sure will solve any problems reading the rear tires. I am looking for someone with real experience on the road.

Since all my tires are supposed to be set to 65 psi, I think it is not too important to reprogram every time I get the tires rotated. If any tire shows low pressure, I will pull over and check them all.

There are very few reviews of TPMS retrofits on the internet. Most vehicles come with them now and installing good internal ones costs over $500 for a dually. I was hoping some owners of dually Sprinters would speak up. If you don't have a TPMS, does that not concern you?

David
The Following User Says Thank You to llamadave For This Useful Post:
K-9 SPRINTER (06-30-2014)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
mumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave View Post
If you don't have a TPMS, does that not concern you?

David
Not really... I have driven many different vehicles for the last 50 years with no problems, and only the last car I purchased - a Toyota Sienna - even has it. They still make tire testers... a simple technology that even I can use.
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
llamadave

Mumkin, from your comment and others I have read on RV forums, it seems that we install these only when we learn the hard way. My former F-550 Ford dually had valve problems and I lost several tires with slow leaks. The problem with a dually is that you don't find out that one of the rear tires has low pressure until it is ruined. It has not happened to me, but high temperature blowouts can do major damage to the vehicle. I don't want to learn that the hard way.

David
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #18
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity

I haven't learned the hard way, though I am interested in a TPMS some day.

I always get those tire pressure CAPS that change color when the air is low, and EVERY time the air has been low its because the cap fails. But for the time it works I am able to walk by and see the pressure is high enough for me to be getting the best MPG. My new Volvo is the first with the built in TPMS, I have yet to put the caps on because I thought I would know from the car how the pressure was doing, but the longer I have the car the more I realize it will not let me know anything until there is trouble. So I may get caps for the new car too.

I have yet to have pressure problems with the new dually Sprinter but I have driven the caps into the curb enough times that I am out of caps at the moment, and shopping for new valve extensions that don't stick out so far... Really miss the Aluminum wheels on the 2500 I had, looked so good, cleaned up so well, and NEVER ran into the curb like my dually simulators do up front.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
mumkin

Yes, I have had friends who had tires blow, but I have even more friends who have RVed in various sized rigs for 20-30 years and never had any issues. I added Tireman valve extensions so that I can check all of the tires easily. In the last three years, I have rarely even had to add air to any of my 6 tires. (knock on wood...)
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
NetDoc

I worked in automotive for 30 years and half of those were for Goodyear. Almost every tire failure began with a single nail/screw and and the resultant low tire pressure. What's funny, is that it's almost always the RR tire that's the one to fail. Go figure. You'll notice a low tire up front because of the hard pull a low tire will introduce on a RWD vehicle. But the rears only cause a slight drift and it's very easy to miss.
Solo otro día en el paraíso!
Mechanics always start what they finish!
NetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetDoc For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (12-24-2013), Peter Tourin (12-27-2013)