Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,057 Posts
Default Re: CargoMax

I like the dimmer switch that you pull back, the 2 direction is awkward to me at least. I can flash the lights with the pull back one as well.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #22
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,001 Posts

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia-ca/...=1313633004484

OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
piper1
Resident Oil Nerd.

Daimler released a study saying their vans are the best for the average owner.

Once again...I'm not average

Once again, I have never said the CargoMax or any other van is superior for everyone, gone to great lengths to say most will be happy with a Sprinter.
I had a.....2008 NCV3 (badged as Freightliner) 170wb ext body 6 foot roof. 12 feet for cargo, 42 inch bunk sealed off from the back, battery powered A/C and 120 v power and Air Tabs! Flettner Roof Vent....but it's gone.

298,000 km on the clock (06/22/11). Valvoline SynPower MST, Shell ATF134

Now driving a CargoMax 600.
piper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piper1 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,943 Posts

Daimler should have labeled Canadian/US 2500 Sprinters "1500" instead.

That one little thing would have stopped many sales, and prevented a lot of missed expectations, saved a lot of heartache on both sides of the deal.

A sign that touted these attributes would have prevented much buyer remorse on 2500s (at least)
  • Up to 5,000 lbs of towing capacity!
  • The roomiest 1/2 ton van in the world! Best in class for comfort!
  • Up to 24 individual computers to assure all vital systems are monitored at all times! Even the radio!
  • Light weight frame and axles to assure best-in-class fuel economy!
  • In an accident, this van is designed to maximize driver's well being AT ALL COSTS!
  • *Three month or 1000 mile bumper to bumper care for wear-n-tear items!

*in the first three months, I received at least 1/2 a dozen free replacement incandescent bulbs from both Dodge and Freightliner shops: turn signals, amber running lights, cargo bay lights.... in 6 months, there wasn't a single surviving incandescent bulb from the factory on the vehicle.

-Jon

PS: No, I'm not being unfair. NCV3 Sprinters are not tough. They are what they are and if you need to assign a rating, "1500" is appropriate for 2500s. I'd leave it to a 3500 owner to determine the right badging for the stronger version available to consumers in the Canadian/US market.

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
august engel (08-25-2011), Chandlerazman (08-21-2011), flman (08-19-2011), qualityair (08-19-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
MellowYellow

Grab yourself a spare fuel filter if you have not already. The single filter system in the pick ups and c-series would plug up to the point of loosing power in less the 20k. Most of our customers would just have it done each service.

The doors on the c-series open the same as the vans. Same doors, same cab and same hinges. The doors on the c-series cannot open any wider since the mirror is not mounted to the door but is mounted to the cab instead. Can't make the door open more without smashing the mirrors off.
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MellowYellow For This Useful Post:
piper1 (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
Daimler should have labeled Canadian/US 2500 Sprinters "1500" instead.
I have to agree with you there, the drive train looks like a passenger car would have had in the 70s. Do these 2500 Sprinters even have full floating hubs like the US vans with the Dana rear have?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
I have to agree with you there, the drive train looks like a passenger car would have had in the 70s. Do these 2500 Sprinters even have full floating hubs like the US vans with the Dana rear have?
I have no idea. You tell me, please. I'd like to understand.

Wikipedia says,
Quote:
Full-floating vs semi-floating vs Non-floating
The full-floating design is typically used in most 3/4 and 1-ton light trucks, medium duty trucks and heavy-duty trucks, as well as most agricultural applications, such as large tractors and combines. There are a few exceptions, such as many Land-Rover vehicles. A full-floating axle can be identified by a protruding hub to which the axle shaft flange is bolted. These axles can carry more weight than a semi-floating or non-floating axle assembly because the hubs have two bearings riding on a fixed spindle. The axle shafts themselves do not carry any weight; they serve only to transmit torque from the differential to the wheels. Full-floating axle shafts are retained by the aforementioned flange bolted to the hub, while the hub and bearings are retained on the spindle by a large nut.

The semi-floating and non-floating design carry the weight of the vehicle on the axle shaft itself; there is a single bearing at the end of the axle housing that carries the load from the axle and that the axle rotates through. With a semi-floating axle, the axles themselves serve as the inner bearing race and are retained by c-clips that are in the differential carrier. Non-floating axles have the bearings (with inner races) pressed onto the axle shaft (usually accompanied by a snap-ring), and are retained by a plate that bolts to a flange on the axle housing. Both of these designs are found under most 1/2 ton and lighter trucks and SUV's, and rear or all-wheel drive cars with live axle suspension, though the non-floating type all but disappeared in American cars and trucks during the late 1970s.
epc.startekinfo.com shows:

EPC-741412-906633-Rear-Axle(2500).pdf

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (08-21-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #28
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Jon

Well it looks like the 3/4 ton Sprinters have the cheaper semi floaters, while a 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy would have a full floater. So like you said, our 2500s are really 1500s, since they use semi floaters on 1/2 ton domestic trucks and vans.

The absence of the large hub on the back of the sprinter is a dead give away that it uses the cheaper semi floating hub. I wonder if the 3500 is a full floater?

On the floating one the axle shaft carries no weight and propels the hub, on the semi floater the axle shaft carries weight and propels the rear wheels.

Last edited by flman; 08-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to flman For This Useful Post:
jdcaples (08-20-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #29
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
Jon

Well it looks like the 3/4 ton Sprinters have the cheaper semi floaters, while a 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy would have a full floater. So like you said, our 2500s are really 1500s, since they use semi floaters on 1/2 ton domestic trucks and vans.

The absence of the large hub on the back of the sprinter is a dead give away that it uses the cheaper semi floating hub. I wonder if the 3500 is a full floater?

On the floating one the axle shaft carries no weight and propels the hub, on the semi floater the axle shaft carries weight and propels the rear wheels.
Does this answer your Question.
rear axle (Custom).JPG
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #30
MellowYellow

My 3500's are full floating.
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote