Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:00 AM   #11
LooseRocks

Default Re: If your going to fit a diesel heater in your van then read this.

I really think the best location for it is under the passenger seat. It's really wasted space. If you do the install proper with the heater base flushed to the van's floor and it's properly sealed you don't get any of the issues people are discussing. Even if the seal between the heater's outlet and the Espar's corrugated exhaust pipe and the exhaust pipe to muffler isn't perfect. It really is a don't care.
LooseRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
Sinatorj

Can anyone tell me that using regular fuel tubing would be improper for this install rather than the small poly tubing? The I D is similar in size. Think that the regular tubing will be more robust.
Sinatorj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
hambleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatorj View Post
Can anyone tell me that using regular fuel tubing would be improper for this install rather than the small poly tubing? The I D is similar in size. Think that the regular tubing will be more robust.
Stick with the small poly tubing that comes with the Espar. I'm sure fuel pressure is a consideration with that small, hard tube. From a robustness standpoint, it's plenty robust, provided it doesn't get kinked and you route the line properly. I've spent hours underneath a Sprinter routing various lines. There are plenty of safe places to route things of this sort, especially with a small diameter tube like this.

I ran my Espar fuel line all the way from the far right rear of a 170 up to the fuel pump. I believe about 14' of fuel line and it's been problem free.

The important consideration is where the fuel line passes through the van and any other obvious areas where heat or abrasion might occur. I did use heat protective sheathing on a short section of my fuel line where it was somewhat near the exhaust just for precaution. You can also use short sections of heat shrink or even that expandable sheathing for wiring in areas where abrasion might be a concern. Deburr any holes you drill in the van for this and consider using a rubber grommet if the fuel line does have to pass through the van floor.

Last edited by hambleton; 01-26-2020 at 05:16 PM.
hambleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
gltrimble

Default If your going to fit a diesel heater in your van then read this.

I sleeved the tiny Espar poly fuel line with larger poly tube, 1/4Ē I believe, for added protection. I sleeved a portion of the poly tube again with heat resistant shroud where it crossed over the exhaust pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gltrimble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
GSWatson
2013 144

I couldnít get a good clamp seal with the poly tubing, so I used high pressure fuel line from Napa. Itís a short run (I mounted my heater behind the driverís seat) and it fits tight enough that I could have skipped the hose clamps. No problems. I canít see where it would make a difference.

This I think is what I used.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBGH176

Cheers,
Greg
GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #16
Sinatorj

Thanks guys, I ran out of steam will finish tomorrow. Dealing with a leak in my foundation and trying to finish my heater install.
Sinatorj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:06 AM   #17
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Here's a detailed video about what type of fuel line is best for a diesel heater:

sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprint2freedom For This Useful Post:
99sport (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 AM   #18
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,887 Posts

My upfitter used larger fuel line rather than the official Espar stuff. I spent two years chasing occasional flame-out issues. I finally took it to Thermo-King. They said "wrong fuel line". They tore it out and replaced with the correct stuff. Heater has worked perfectly ever since.

Use what Espar says. It matters.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avanti For This Useful Post:
hippy (01-27-2020), Sinatorj (01-27-2020)