Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
thornett

Default Injector replacement woes

So the saga continues for my 2006 Sprinter 2500 series.
Picked up the "repaired" van on Friday the 17th.
Noticed a fuel leak at the high pressure pump while warming up the van in their lot.
They brought it back in and was repaired with a new hose clamp late friday afternoon I was happy to finally have the van back if nothing else and just move on.
Drove the van briefly to check how it was feeling after paying the bill of just over $2600 cdn which included $625 for the machine shop to skim the head, remove 2 broken injector bolts, a stuck glow plug and replace all the frost plugs and a valve seal.
The van has a lumpy sounding motor down low with a knocking present while under load while driving which was not there before the head gasket repair work was done.
I asked the mechanic on one of our many phone calls before picking up the van if he used new crush washers on the injectors for he was complaining about them not sealing well during our call.
He replied that he hadn't for the shop hadn't ordered or supplied them for him and since the injector hold down bolts are a one shot deal just wait to see if they hold tight.
When paying the bill and speaking directly with the shop owner I again spoke up to him about the crush washers saying they were not to be reused and his mechanic had done so.
He replied they looked like they had/were sealed and they/the garage do that all the time on their own fleet vehicles and I should just be happy that my van was fixed now.
I spoke of the on going incompetence I've been dealing with getting the van repaired.
Of the machine shop for using helicoils to try and repair two injector bolt holes and his mechanics for not recognizing that fact and having them rip out upon installation of the injectors.
Of his mechanic then not using new crush washers on the injectors. Simple stuff one would think to deal with for people who make their living fixing machines.
So that gives you a good indication of the mindset of the garage/shop owner his head mechanic and the machine shop owner .
I've been dealing with this type of mindset now going on for over a month my van had been in the garage.
I took the black head cover off this morning Jan 20th to see what was happening under there and sure enough the injectors are leaking around at least 3 of them.
You can see liquid bubbles forming and coming up from below the injectors hold down clamp area.when idling for there is diesel fuel from leaking connectors still in the injector pockets.
So back to the shop it's going to be redone again correctly.
It's just sad that people are so lazy at times for the sake of $10 dollars worth of parts that being crush washers for injectors and the phone call to order them.
Passing off their laziness and poor workmanship mindset with the added risk of damage to the injector hold down threads once again to repair their poor work.
As a side note the current garage doing the vans repair which I've used before for a water pump and other work on the Sprinter and they did a good job.
The local Mercedes dealer in Halifax I called told me they have never done a Mercedes Sprinter head gasket repair and quoted 40 hrs labour at $120 an hour plus parts minimum.
They specialize in Sprinter repair and built a stand alone 5 bay service garage to deal with just the high roof Sprinters but just not head gaskets!
So knowledgeable service options for head gasket repair is thin on the ground in my rural area of Nova Scotia it seems.
So in some ways consider myself somewhat fortunate...
Was told a long time ago that the difference between a good job and a bad was usually about 10 minutes.
Its proved true throughout my life.

Last edited by thornett; 01-21-2020 at 12:00 AM.
thornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
thornett

Default Re: 2006 heater valve bypass

Well today got back into the garage and replaced all the crush washers on all of the injectors.
Worked alongside the mechanic this time and it looks to have been a success.
It all came apart nicely and went back together without incident
the motor is much smoother than yesterday without the knock down low while under load.
The repair to the stripped injector bolts were done a little different than agreed without inserts being used I found out.
they made up a long 8mm bolt turning the head down to fit into the injector hold down clamp area.
then removed the 6mm inside diameter x 10mm in length helicoils that were placed by the machinist at the top of two of the injector hold down bolt holes.
cleaned up and ran the threads all the way to the bottom of the hold down hole.to accept the new 8mm threaded bolts.
the new 8mm bolts were made long enough to use all the threads available in the injector bolt hole and held when being tighten/torqued down.
not ideal from what i've read just a workable solution.

Last edited by thornett; 01-21-2020 at 06:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thornett For This Useful Post:
Nautamaran (01-22-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
thornett

So yesterday I start my newly repaired van up in the morning minus 13 celsius and head back in the house to collect a few things with the van running/ heating up so I can clean the snow/ice off the windshield.
I come out and there is a huge puddle of liquid under the van diesel fluid is just pouring out of the engine block.
Shut it down and clean up the spilt diesel with cat litter and snow so it hopefully doesn't get into the water/well which was drilled close to the driveway.
The grounds frozen so it stayed up on the surface of the earth thankfully.
I'm thinking the worst at this point that the repaired injectors blew out and i'm back to square one.
Get in drive to the garage which is close to the house couple of minutes thinking maybe the van catching on fire on the way is the best thing for it right now.
Lost a 1/4 tank of fuel at this point. Get it into the garage take the black engine cover off there's diesel everywhere and go to start it up and the mechanic tells me to shut it down even before it starts.
One of the circlips on the number 5 injector up against the firewall is missing on top of the injector for the diesel return line popped out and is just spraying out fuel.
Some sort of relief came over me seeing that from what I thought it first was in the driveway.
Turned out the mechanic had broke off the locking tab on the electrical connector for the injector and had tie wired it tight to the injector to repair.
In doing so he had knocked off the return lines circlip in the process and not noticed it missing.
We fashioned up a temporary circlip and have a new correct one on order from the dealer.
Fun stuff.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
thornett

Was thinking of replacing the electrical connectors that attach to the fuel injector.
That being the female connector from the wiring harness side that connects to the fuel injector with new ones on two of the injectors.
The mechanic broke two of the lock tabs when removing them and I'm not super fond of the zip tie repair currently in place..
Are they available as a complete unit with the wires already attached where one would simply cut the broken one off and soldier the wires along with some shrink tubing?
Had a look online but didn't find the correct bosch injector connector with pigtails only the housing and supposedly you need a special tool to replace.
thanks Keith

Last edited by thornett; 01-23-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,541 Times in 4,770 Posts

The easiest approach would be to get a pigtail from the junkyard. Sometimes user Lindenengineering has parts vans to pull from.

The same bosch injectors are used on some dodge and cummins diesels. If you take a good photos to a junkyard, or do a search for bosch fuel injector harness, you may find something.

If you want to replace the plastic connector body only, you will need a special tool to release the pins/terminals inside.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 01-23-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,052 Times in 5,608 Posts
Default Re: Injector replacement woes

Boy oh Boy!
Reading this its like Gordon Ramsay's TV restaurant wars!
I have connectors if you need them .
The injector hold down repair fix was --well--- shall we say Primitive!!
Ohme gawd !
Makes for good reading--thanks for the woeful diatribe !
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
thornett

Default Re: Injector replacement woes

Thanks these vans are very rare in rural nova scotia so a junk yard is a very long shot haven't tried but would be surprised if one is available locally.
Did find this which looks to be the part im after the company is in the states. I'm in Canada so shipping is always an issue to consider.
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/4105
hopefully can find a supplier in Canada this looks to be the part im after.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
jrod5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornett View Post
So yesterday I start my newly repaired van up in the morning minus 13 celsius and head back in the house to collect a few things with the van running/ heating up so I can clean the snow/ice off the windshield.
I come out and there is a huge puddle of liquid under the van diesel fluid is just pouring out of the engine block.
Shut it down and clean up the spilt diesel with cat litter and snow so it hopefully doesn't get into the water/well which was drilled close to the driveway.
The grounds frozen so it stayed up on the surface of the earth thankfully.
I'm thinking the worst at this point that the repaired injectors blew out and i'm back to square one.
Get in drive to the garage which is close to the house couple of minutes thinking maybe the van catching on fire on the way is the best thing for it right now.
Lost a 1/4 tank of fuel at this point. Get it into the garage take the black engine cover off there's diesel everywhere and go to start it up and the mechanic tells me to shut it down even before it starts.
One of the circlips on the number 5 injector up against the firewall is missing on top of the injector for the diesel return line popped out and is just spraying out fuel.
Some sort of relief came over me seeing that from what I thought it first was in the driveway.
Turned out the mechanic had broke off the locking tab on the electrical connector for the injector and had tie wired it tight to the injector to repair.
In doing so he had knocked off the return lines circlip in the process and not noticed it missing.
We fashioned up a temporary circlip and have a new correct one on order from the dealer.
Fun stuff.
There’s a learning curve with the return line injector clips. TheY tend to go flying and man they are hard to find 😝
jrod5150 is offline   Reply With Quote