Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,047 Posts
Default HOME MOVIES

Recently came into possssion of 8-16 mm family home movies.

What to do? No projector. I can have them digitally converted but for whom? No one besides me would be interested, and how many times am I going to watch them? I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Also, a couple boxes of archaic photos, I assume of relatives, but have no clue.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (97.0 KB, 61 views)
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
AirJoseph

Default Re: HOME MOVIES

You don't have any kids? Digitize them anyways. You never know when you'll feel nostalgic.
AirJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AirJoseph For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
tinman

Might be useful for some future forensic investigation.
Aqua Puttana (01-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,342 Times in 6,058 Posts

(i just looked this up)
Costco charges $20 for the first 150 feet, then $0.13 for each foot beyond that.
Give them the movies, get DVDs back.

https://www.costcodvd.com/services-a...-film-transfer

--dick (not a member of Costco, but they popped up early when googling)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Bobnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
What could be useful?
Old 01-25-2020, 03:11 AM   #6
tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
What could be useful?
No idea. Bad joke. We had a similar situation in my family. Lots of family travels, some in " interesting" parts of the world, and my dad took lots of slide photos, all fairly well archived, but on the parents' passing what do you do with them. Lots of sentiment, but the volume was overwhelming. I would have had a hard time dealing with them, but a younger (probably smarter) sister took on the task. Quite a few years ago, and I think she got part way through and mybe dumped them. It's good to have a few photos to pass through the generations for potentially curious descendants, and paper is probably as reliable a medium as any, but digitizing the amount of stuff you have would probably not serve a useful purpose in most families. Expensive too.
Aqua Puttana (01-26-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,342 Times in 6,058 Posts

Hmmm ... i wonder if your local library might have an 8mm projector you could borrow (or use on-site).

Every once in a while i see one for sale at Goodwill.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (01-26-2020), Bobnoxious (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Bobnoxious

Quote:
No idea. Bad joke. We had a similar situation in my family. Lots of family travels, some in " interesting" parts of the world, and my dad took lots of slide photos, all fairly well archived, but on the parents' passing what do you do with them. Lots of sentiment, but the volume was overwhelming. I would have had a hard time dealing with them, but a younger (probably smarter) sister took on the task. Quite a few years ago, and I think she got part way through and mybe dumped them. It's good to have a few photos to pass through the generations for potentially curious descendants, and paper is probably as reliable a medium as any, but digitizing the amount of stuff you have would probably not serve a useful purpose in most families. Expensive too.
No!!! I got the joke and think it was really funny and chuckled. No snark. Don't stop, I think your may be on the cusp of a comedic breakout!!! I was just playing dumb and trying to set you up with a Hank Kimble response.

The box is smallest of four. Many albums and loose photos of unknown souls long since passed. I'll just store 'em and let some one Toss them.

Cheers!

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 01-25-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,575 Times in 9,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post

Also, a couple boxes of archaic photos, I assume of relatives, but have no clue.

Any thoughts?
We have similar archives. Fortunately (double edged sword) my relatives had a habit of putting names and often dates on the back of the photos. I've been scanning select photos for posterity.

Quote:
Be careful what you find.

A story that I shouldn't repeat.

We found a bunch of my Grandfather's home movies. I do have a projector. After some birthday and Christmas reels, we loaded one fateful reel into the projector and flipped it on.

There on the screen was my grandfather and grandmother at an adult party. Someone had brought anatomically correct male and female "aprons" to the event. There was my grandpa and grandma laughing while bumping and grinding in front of everyone.

MY EYES... MY EYES.... it can never be unseen.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:30 AM   #10
Bobnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
We have similar archives. Fortunately (double edged sword) my relatives had a habit of putting names and often dates on the back of the photos. I've been scanning select photos for posterity.

Be careful what you find.

A story that I shouldn't repeat.

We found a bunch of my Grandfather's home movies. I do have a projector. After some birthday and Christmas reels, we loaded one fateful reel into the projector and flipped it on.

There on the screen was my grandfather and grandmother at an adult party. Someone had brought anatomically correct male and female "aprons" to the event. There was my grandpa and grandma laughing while bumping and grinding in front of everyone.

MY EYES... MY EYES.... it can never be unseen.

vic
Yes, I remember those. A long time ago, before Gloria Alred sued companies for such sinister "sexist" behavior, a guy was selling them at work, Boeing, for 10-bucks. Always good for a laugh.

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 01-30-2020 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (01-31-2020)